PDA

View Full Version : Why do LC hydro tech pads come in only colors?

cartman1
01-16-2015, 02:44 PM
It's just surprising to a beginner like me because I bought the hex logic pad kit and it comes with like 7 different color pads.

It's much simpler if all I needed was three colors.

brettS4
01-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Do you mean 'why only 3 colors'?

In the words of Thoreau... simplify, simply, simplify.

From what I've heard, they're fairly versatile. So more variations aren't needed.

Dereksdtail
01-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Theses pads are awesome!!

cartman1
01-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Oh lol. I'm a newbie but not that new hahaha. Yes I meant three colors, sorry for the mix up.

So red for waxing, sealants, glazes etc

Tangerine for m205, AIO, swirl removers etc

Blue for the rest of the cutting and abrasive polishers

Is this right? If so, forget my hex logic, I'm going to buy these bad boys!

dlc95
01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Check out Meguiar's new foam discs. Burgundy - cutting, Yellow - polishing, Black - waxing.

You could also spend some time on the buff and shine site, and learn about the types of foams used in the line. - Buff and Shine manufacture the hex logic pads.

Simply, two lines are merged into one.

Reticulated open cell foams - green (60 ppi, light cut/heavy polish), blue (70 ppi, light polishing/ finishing), grey (80 ppi, finessing). PPI = pores per inch.

European prepolymer closed cell foams - Yellow (cutting), orange (light cutting/heavy polishing), white (polishing), red (waxing).

Open cell pads get their cut from the porosity of the foam. Larger pores usually translates to more cut, as the cell walls are thicker, and more resilient.

Closed cell pads get their cut from their density, and the additional weight the operator places on the machine while buffing.

Where the wall of an open cell pad, covered with abrasive can come at the paint from the oscillating / rotating motion of the machine, it usually won't require so much downward pressure.

With the prepolymer, to fully activate the abrasive, it seems to require more downward pressure.

I like both types of pads, but my personal preference at this time is for the open cell pads. I feel I use less product, less pressure on the machine, and that they generate less heat.

As far as the hexagonal design on the face of the pad, I find it helps further reduce heat, and reduces chances of product splatter. I hope to have some videos up by late spring / early summer focusing on the open cell offerings of the buff and shine / hex logic green, blue, and grey pads, using both Meguiar's and Menzerna polishes, on the PC 7424xp, Flex 3401, and the Rupes Duetto.