PDA

View Full Version : is a rotary a rotary?

Pages : [1] 2

Dre-srt-4
08-21-2007, 01:33 PM
is a rotary a rotary?

What i mean i see Makita, Dewalt, Chicago, Harbor freight, Metabo etc and some range under $100 and some up to $300-400?

what should i be looking for when i read the specs to know which 1 to go with?

I want good quality but i don't want to break the bank.

orngez
08-21-2007, 02:16 PM
go with the harbor freight one...after buying the HF one it made me regret paying so much for my other rotarties....i would say the only downside to the HF one is the speed control is not as specific as the higher end ones...but it really is not that noticeable...it's quite light too...

Truls
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Im voting for the Metabo they got here at AG, i dont have one my self yet, but ive never read a bad word about it.

D
08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I have the Harbor Freight one. It bogs down easily, and sometimes I have to hit the button a few times before it turns on. I also dont really like holding onto the handle at the top. Id rather have a handle on the side, and have the option of holding onto the head. The head on the HF one does get hot, and just isnt designed to be held right there.

I think its fine for a beginner, but I think my next rotary will be the Metabo.

pirex
08-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I love my metabo! Its sweet!

Gary Sword
08-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Personally I think the Metabo is the best one on the market. My 2nd choice would be Hatachi. Hatachi powers tools are built very well and are usually a very good value compared to Dewalt and Makita. I have used them for years and I have never had a problem with any of them. If you go with the Harbor Freight one which is hard to resist if money is your motivating factor I would pay for the extented warrenty on it to at least take it up to a year. There standard warrenty is 90 days. Hopefully it won't have any lead paint like the toys coming out of China. Come to think of it I wounder if the large tool chest I got at Harbor Freight has lead paint. I shop at Harbor Freight for some things but I try to stay away from their power tools. My younger brother has purchased a number of power tools there only to have them quite working in under 6 months. I think he finally gave up on their power tools.

Nica
08-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Well my vote is on the Metabo and for the following reasons. I own a Makita, and after using the Metabo compared to the Makita they are not the same. The feel of the Metabo is much better then the Makita, now this is just my opinion and it's all a personal preference really. But I prefer the Metabo over the Makita because with the Metabo I can polish for hours and hours and beleave me I have done it, non stop and my hands/arms/body does not hurt or aque or anything. I've tried to do the same with the Makita and when using it for a long period of time it hurt my hands and I found it to be a little dificult to manover oh the door panels...but again that's just me.

makdaddy626
08-21-2007, 03:27 PM
No experience with rotaries, but generally with power tools you get what you pay for. It's lot easier to make a pad spin at 1400 RPM with no resistance than with it on paint. Also, depending on whether this is for work or play, consider the reliability of the company you're buying from - my father was a machinist when I was growing up, for home we always had nice tools (usually Craftsman) that had a lifetime warrenty, but they would break - take them back to Sears, no problem. But for work, he always had Snap-On, or other higher end brands, why? Because they didn't break. Being without a tool at home is an inconvienience, but if it's for work, it's lost money.

sneek
08-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Well my vote is on the Metabo and for the following reasons. I own a Makita, and after using the Metabo compared to the Makita they are not the same. The feel of the Metabo is much better then the Makita, now this is just my opinion and it's all a personal preference really. But I prefer the Metabo over the Makita because with the Metabo I can polish for hours and hours and beleave me I have done it, non stop and my hands/arms/body does not hurt or aque or anything. I've tried to do the same with the Makita and when using it for a long period of time it hurt my hands and I found it to be a little dificult to manover oh the door panels...but again that's just me.

hmmm, I haven't tried the metabo, but I really really like the Makita...haha, even the one that you don't like much. I find that it works really smooth, and isn't too loud, although some do not like the sound of the Makita. I think the key to operating the Makita withouh hurting yourself is to use the curved handle. I tried a Makita with a bail handle and it isn't that pleasant. I still need to try out the Metabo more ;) hint hint Nica haha, but the Makita by no means is a bad machine to go with.

budman3
08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I have a Chicago Electric rotary that I got at Harbor Freight. It was $25... it spins... it's a rotary... I polish paint with it... it works...

Mine actually has the PC style handle just the the PC. It does bog but then again I only paid $25 for it. I bought it as a learning tool and when / if I get serious with a rotary I'll upgrade then. But if you are doing a few cars here and there. .. you can't beat it. I've had mine for 2 years now and haven't had an issue with it.

ScottB
08-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I still think my Hitachi is truly the hidden gem. It weighs less, costs less, has more power, and a longer warranty than most/all the rest. Sure its green in color, but heck they could paint it purple if it works !

StephenK
08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
the hitachi is a very light weight big power well built machine. and is not that pricey. it will be the next rotary i get. right now i also have the harbor freight $30.00 rotary. it real is not that bad of a machine. suprised me. i bought it cause i was in a crunch need a rotary now. and did not have the money at the time to buy a better one. the trigger sometimes has to be squeezed a couple times before it turns on. but not everytime just once in awhile. maybe i have leather skin but the heat from holding the head of machine was not that hot for me. i did a 2step polish on an explorer so the machine ran alot. as far as bogging down any machine will with pressure. some need more pressure than others. but you have to remember a rotary IS NOT A PC. you really dont need to apply much pressure other than weight of machine.

SpoiledMan
08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
but you have to remember a rotary IS NOT A PC. you really dont need to apply much pressure other than weight of machine.

Tell that to a vertical panel.:D

D
08-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Haha, yeah. Im working on my Mustang right now. At the door right now. :mad:

StephenK
08-21-2007, 08:26 PM

same amount of pressure needed there. feels like you use more cause on vertical panels you have to actually hold the weight of the machine. where as on the hood roof and trunk most of the weight of machine is on panel. arms dont do much.