PDA

View Full Version : Wax an entire car w/ a single red pad?

cartman1
01-16-2015, 02:08 PM
I am going to upgrade my pad collection and want to know. I am a hobbyist so i don't think I'll ever do more than one car a day.

For example, I might do my car on a Saturday and mine on a Sunday.

actuator_mz3
01-16-2015, 02:11 PM
According to Mike Phillips, all you need is one. I agree with him.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

allenk4
01-16-2015, 02:19 PM
One will work just fine

If you are NOT working in a garage, you might consider using two, just to decrease the chances of picking up dust/contamination and damaging the finish

I also suggest cleaning your wax applicator On The Fly after a couple of panels, for the same reason

Just makes sense to me

cartman1
01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
I saw that article before and I was like really?? I'm glad I could get a confirmation.

wdmaccord
01-16-2015, 05:40 PM
I always use just one pad when applying wax/sealant. Of course those are usually products that I am applying to whole car and letting cure before I wipe off (so things move really fast for application). For WOWO waxes like BF Midnight Sun, I do that by hand.

98LowRanger
01-16-2015, 08:32 PM
I always use just one pad when applying wax/sealant. Of course those are usually products that I am applying to whole car and letting cure before I wipe off (so things move really fast for application).

What wax/sealants are applied like this (apply to whole car, let cure/haze, then remove/wipe off)? I have been looking for these products because it seems like a quicker method. Especially with a microfiber bonnet on say a Porter Cable to remove the excess once the sealant/wax has cured.

allenk4
01-16-2015, 10:27 PM
What wax/sealants are applied like this (apply to whole car, let cure/haze, then remove/wipe off)? I have been looking for these products because it seems like a quicker method. Especially with a microfiber bonnet on say a Porter Cable to remove the excess once the sealant/wax has cured.

If you are using a quality sealant and and applying it properly (thin), you should never need a buffer with a bonnet to remove it

Removal with a MF will be much faster and there is less chance of marring your paint than using a bonnet