PDA

View Full Version : Question about silver paint

cartman1
01-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Is it just me or does silver paint hide swirls exceptionally well? I could swear my car has them but I really really have to look for them and even then I have to be 12 inches away.

I'm still planning on doing my paint correction with m205. I don't want to use 105 unless I really need it.

I always knew the worst car color for maintenance was black but am I right to think silver might be the easiest? I'm thinking white might be good too but I don't like white at all.

conman1395
01-15-2015, 12:29 PM
White and silver hide it well. Silver does it better.

builthatch
01-15-2015, 12:39 PM
every "garaged" vehicle i've owned since 1998 has been silver, lol

yes, you are absolutely correct.

the damage can't hide from all light but it's masked pretty well under many normal conditions vs. other colors.

that's good and bad. i feel that when it's perfect, it's absolutely amazing - silver and related colors are like jewels in machine form when corrected. like something machined out of alu or steel and polished. it's also good in that you don't have to stay on top of it as much since every single thing isn't going to be SO noticeable under most lighting conditions.

however, if you are chasing absolute perfection, you will have to learn what light shows what and use that before, say, coating after correction. if you skimp, you'll find something later that will make you want to go back and redo it if you are that sort of person.

lawrenceSA
01-15-2015, 12:40 PM
What color is a scratch / swirl?

Yip.... silvery/white'ish....

So put one of these on a silver or white background and there is little contrast, thus the scratch blends in to the background

But put it on a black background and you have perfect contrast, hence black cars 'appear' to scratch easier...

:dblthumb2:

FUNX650
01-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Is it just me or does silver paint hide swirls exceptionally well? I could swear my car has them but I really really have to look for them and even then I have to be 12 inches away.

"Metallic Silvers" even better!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image896.jpg

Bob

cartman1
01-15-2015, 01:15 PM
My Benz is metallic silver but the metallic part is very faint, can barely tell it's there.

I'm really happy I got in silver even though I wasn't exactly looking for that color. Can't wait to post pics after I do 205 and collinite 845.

brettS4
01-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Silver cars are low maintenance. Black cars are high maintenance. Both can look great. Just like women.

A silver car is like a woman who puts on a ballcap and t-shirt and turns heads. But put her in a little black dress and she stops traffic.

My last car was black and 'usually' looked like crap by my standards. It showed swirl marks in almost any light. But on the days after it was cleaned up and coated with Souveran, it got compliments regularly, even when it was 13 years old. In fact, after it was totaled (deer hit me), the insurance company circulated the appraiser's photos around their office to show how good it looked at 250k miles.

But I just acquired a silver car (same make and year). I doubt it's been seriously detailed any time in the last 10 years, but it's hard to see any swirl marks (even tho I KNOW they're there). It looks good by normal standards, but it's going to be a lot better come springtime. Kinda like the 6 Million Dollar Man. Better... stronger.. faster.

Ok, maybe just shinier.