PDA

View Full Version : glaze over wax??

BILL
06-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Waxing over sealer or glaze we know is ok....sealing over wax we know is a no no........glazing over a wax???

dennish
06-16-2006, 09:15 AM
I use RMG/PC/White Pad over PS but what I doing is removing most of the PS in prepartion to put another coat of PS on. I will do this several times before stipping PS and RMG and starting over. Most glazes I believe will remove waxes but for a car show I did put UPP and RMG on top for more pop.

Surfer
06-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Not sure, oils from the glaze need to set into the paint, I would assume you'd end up with one big smear job putting glaze over wax. About the sealents though, I know quite a few people who use a glaze under a sealent w/ basically no difference in durability. Seems a few combos do work, like my buddy uses RMG and sealed with EX-P then layered with either Nattys Blue or Souveran. Looks incredibly deep and wet. I think there was a thread on autopia recently actually mentioning a couple glaze/sealent combos that work w/ little difference in durability.

edit - oops, forget to reply lol, had a client call in about a 30 minutes ago and left the screen on lol.

BILL
06-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks........remember, with out clients = no food on the table....:-)

Surfer
06-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks........remember, with out clients = no food on the table....:-)Actually, it was a realtor I work with that called with a couple nice properties (high 6 figure and up in 7 figure range). But in this industry you have to consider your partnerships just that, business related, I've actually "fired" realtors I've worked with, hehe:D

ScottB
06-16-2006, 09:59 PM
you could use a pure glaze over a carnuaba, and alot of show guys use just a pure glaze as adds wetness. But pure glazes have no added protection, and thus are toast after a day in the sun or rain. Protecting/covering them adds some durability.

BILL
06-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Is 3M Hand Glaze a pure glaze??

ScottB
06-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Is 3M Hand Glaze a pure glaze??

I believe it is a glaze with some abrasive power, but no protection. As such you would not use it alone. Megs #7 is a known pure sealant, doing nothing more than light filling and adding wetness.

BILL
06-17-2006, 07:43 AM
I believe it is a glaze with some abrasive power, but no protection. As such you would not use it alone. Megs #7 is a known pure sealant, doing nothing more than light filling and adding wetness.

NO Protection as much as say UPP?? I always thought glazes had the same protection as Sealers, but maybe its the pure glaze's that protect as a pure sealer [UPP]that protect..........

So after 3M, a topper is really ness to protect....... got it.....:cheers:

ScottB
06-17-2006, 08:21 AM
actually most true glazes fail to offer any protection. Simply amping the surface. Unfortunately some modern lines use the term loosely and they can contain some protection or abrasive quality. If you dont see "sealer" in the title, then likely it has little to no protection and should be followed with wax. And remember pure glazes do NOT like sealants (UPP) ...

Pure Glaze = oils and fillers
Glaze = lightly abrasive polish, some fillers, little to no protection.
Pure Sealant = synthetic wax, no cleaners, protection
Pure Carnuaba = natural wax, no cleaners, protection

cwcad
06-17-2006, 08:57 AM
actually most true glazes fail to offer any protection. Simply amping the surface. Unfortunately some modern lines use the term loosely and they can contain some protection or abrasive quality. If you dont see "sealer" in the title, then likely it has little to no protection and should be followed with wax. And remember pure glazes do NOT like sealants (UPP) ...

Pure Glaze = oils and fillers
Glaze = lightly abrasive polish, some fillers, little to no protection.
Pure Sealant = synthetic wax, no cleaners, protection
Pure Carnuaba = natural wax, no cleaners, protection

Very definitive answer. Thank you for posting!