PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

ramiz
01-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Hi, I am Ramiz. I am detailing for one of my friends and he has a deal with the local Mercedes dealership. Well I need some advice to get as much interior and exterior details done as quick as possible. I know most of you all will say there is no quick way to do details, but are there any short cuts to take, or patterns, techniques or equipment. I am going full time to school and need to put out about two complete details a day or within 8 hrs. Are there any true one step polishes that cut polish and wax. I just need some over all advice to cut down on times, usually it takes me about 3-4 hrs to do the interior of cars and they are pretty clean when we get them. I spend about one hour just washing wheel wells, rims, engine, debugging the car. I know I am asking a lot. Thanks.

Charleston
01-14-2015, 08:40 PM
What machines do will you be using?

I think we need more details on this whole situation.

Are these new on the lot cars? Used cars? Customer of dealership cars?

ramiz
01-14-2015, 08:48 PM
What machines do will you be using?

I think we need more details on this whole situation.

Are these new on the lot cars? Used cars? Customer of dealership cars?

They are used cars. But mostly premium used cars that are pretty much new. I use the flex as my buffer.

Kamakaz1961
01-14-2015, 09:08 PM
IMO an All-In-One would be something that would reduce your time. Will it be perfect like a 2-Step...NO. It will be a good compromise. You will remove quite a bit of swirls but will not be show car perfect. But in the majority of cases at the dealership that should be fine.

You are already off to a great start with the Flex 3401 VRG (I am assuming that is what you are using).

With the AIO you are done with protection. Now for the AIO there are a plethora of products to choose from. I would choose the proven ones like Klaas AIO, and Duragloss AIO or someone here at AGO will recommend.

You will save time and do a fairly decent job of detailing with AIO. Would that be for my ride NO....but for getting the job done quickly and effectively in your situation...YES

As for the interior....I think a typical APC will work and 303 Aerospace. I really don't know how to shave time on the interiors. I guess that will come with experience. For me I really care about the exterior not interior.

allenk4
01-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum - Search Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=6262717)

Charleston
01-14-2015, 10:27 PM
I would be applying a glaze with heavy filler IMO

EliteDetailing
01-14-2015, 10:48 PM
For the interior use an air tool like the Tornador Black or Tornador Blow Out Tool, this is a huge time saver. You can also use a good steamer & extractor when needed. I also will attach a brush to one of my buffers when tackling heavily soiled interior carpets / mats. Hope this helps.

brondondolon
01-14-2015, 10:51 PM
If you are spending an hour just cleaning wheel wells then you are either moving to slow, not using the right products, not using the right tools. Unless you are removing the wheels then that would make a little more sense.

First and foremost there is quality detailing and quantity detailing. It sounds like you are trying to do quality detailing on a quantity basis which will not work. One thing you gotta realize is there is only a certain small market of people who want their car absolutely flawless and expect it. The general market just doesnt want to see stains or dust. Spiderweb scratches in the paint most people dont even notice.

Now onto little tricks to speed you up. These are by no means what i would recommend for someone trying to do a flawless finish. This is my way to get a car looking good and the customer happy. Because lets face it the only people who really appreciate what we do either know what we do or are members on here. Someone wanting their car cleaned doesnt appreciate what we are capable of doing and the goal here is to get the car looking good and the customer happy. So heres my tips

What you will need:
Megs D151
Plenty of white pads as well as foam hand pads
Large waffle weave drying towel
Microfiber towels
Megs Hyper Dressing
Megs APC
Collinite 845
Long and short reach brushes
Spray bottles

Spray down the wheels and tires with a little water and APC. Using the soft short reach brush do the wheels then with a stiff brush go around the tires a few times and the wheel wells then rinse. Spray down the whole car with water and using a dedicated auto wash wash and dry. Spray Hyper dressing in the wheel wells even if they are a little wet. Move onto the windows clean inside and out. If its a hot day and you are working outside do the interior windows before you do anything else on the car. Spray hyper dressing on either a foam applicator or a soft brush and do the tires and plastic trim. Then if polishing is necessary use the Megs D151 and white pads. If paint is in alright condition use the collinite 845 and a hand applicator.

For interior use a 25% dilution of APC on plastics and leather if stains are present. 50% on carpet. Vacuum carpets. Spray a 50% dilution of hyper dressing on a clean micro fiber towel and wipe down dash only.

This will speed you up dramatically. Its not the most elite detail but you are trying to save time and the two dont go hand in hand.

Hope this helps.

allenk4
01-14-2015, 11:29 PM
Before you detail the next car, ask whoever at the dealership is judging your work to take a look at the car with you

Determine what is most important to him and identify the things that can be skipped

I suspect anything more than power washing and Hyperdressing the engine is over kill

Tires don't have to be that clean, before a fresh coat of dressing makes them look good enough

Powerwash wheel wells and spray w Hyperdressing. 1 out of 100 will know the difference

Get yourself some Cyclo brushes on a DA. Upholstry, Carpet, Tires all can be scrubbed much faster with these tools

cartman1
01-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Before you detail the next car, ask whoever at the dealership is judging your work to take a look at the car with you

Determine what is most important to him and identify the things that can be skipped

I suspect anything more than power washing and Hyperdressing the engine is over kill

Tires don't have to be that clean, before a fresh coat of dressing makes them look good enough

Powerwash wheel wells and spray w Hyperdressing. 1 out of 100 will know the difference

Get yourself some Cyclo brushes on a DA. Upholstry, Carpet, Tires all can be scrubbed much faster with these tools

Agree with Allen, you have to find out what the person in charge wants to see in the cars so you can allocate your time efficiently.

dcjredline
01-15-2015, 11:08 AM
If you are spending an hour just cleaning wheel wells then you are either moving to slow, not using the right products, not using the right tools. Unless you are removing the wheels then that would make a little more sense.

First and foremost there is quality detailing and quantity detailing. It sounds like you are trying to do quality detailing on a quantity basis which will not work. One thing you gotta realize is there is only a certain small market of people who want their car absolutely flawless and expect it. The general market just doesnt want to see stains or dust. Spiderweb scratches in the paint most people dont even notice.

Now onto little tricks to speed you up. These are by no means what i would recommend for someone trying to do a flawless finish. This is my way to get a car looking good and the customer happy. Because lets face it the only people who really appreciate what we do either know what we do or are members on here. Someone wanting their car cleaned doesnt appreciate what we are capable of doing and the goal here is to get the car looking good and the customer happy. So heres my tips

What you will need:
Megs D151
Microfiber towels
Megs Hyper Dressing
Megs APC
Collinite 845
Spray bottles

Spray down the wheels and tires with a little water and APC. Using the soft short reach brush do the wheels then with a stiff brush go around the tires a few times and the wheel wells then rinse. Spray down the whole car with water and using a dedicated auto wash wash and dry. Spray Hyper dressing in the wheel wells even if they are a little wet. Move onto the windows clean inside and out. If its a hot day and you are working outside do the interior windows before you do anything else on the car. Spray hyper dressing on either a foam applicator or a soft brush and do the tires and plastic trim. Then if polishing is necessary use the Megs D151 and white pads. If paint is in alright condition use the collinite 845 and a hand applicator.

For interior use a 25% dilution of APC on plastics and leather if stains are present. 50% on carpet. Vacuum carpets. Spray a 50% dilution of hyper dressing on a clean micro fiber towel and wipe down dash only.

This will speed you up dramatically. Its not the most elite detail but you are trying to save time and the two dont go hand in hand.

Hope this helps.

You dress the exterior trim/tires BEFORE polishing the paint?

ramiz
01-15-2015, 06:26 PM
For the interior use an air tool like the Tornador Black or Tornador Blow Out Tool, this is a huge time saver. You can also use a good steamer & extractor when needed. I also will attach a brush to one of my buffers when tackling heavily soiled interior carpets / mats. Hope this helps.
I have the tornado tool, I like using it only to blow out the trunk and the inside of the storage compartments in the door. I then take a smaller air gun to blow out crap under the seats into the front then vaccum. But how effective would it be to use the tornado with like APC on plastics such as center consoules and doors?

ramiz
01-15-2015, 06:27 PM
I would be applying a glaze with heavy filler IMO

What product would you recommend?

ramiz
01-15-2015, 06:35 PM

What you will need:
Megs D151
Microfiber towels
Megs Hyper Dressing
Megs APC
Collinite 845
Spray bottles

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tips I do appreciate it. The detailers at the dealership are the ones that usually check our details we do for them, they all vary, some of the dealership detailers just fly by when checking the Car and some take their time to thoroughly look through the car. The dealership doesn't like dressing on interior just on engine. When I wash the exterior I hit door jams, spray degreaser on the wheel wells then scrub with brush and wash, then I spray the rims with acid cleaner and use a wheel brush to do the inside of the rims and a short handle brush to do the outside of the rim. not so much the tires besides a quick pressure wash, then I move onto spraying the engine down and then spray degreaser followed up with a quick scrub with a brush and then pressure wash the degresder off then dress, and then I move onto debugging and soaping the car.