PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning road salt (from underneath too)

Pages : [1] 2

comma
01-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Hey guys.
I live in NC.
Just got a new jeep and don't have to worry about treated roads here, but I'm making a drive up to New york in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what I should do when I get home to remove road salt from the car and underneath.

Should I just spray it down?
I will probably do a regular wash for most of it, but I just don't know how to get the salt off from underneath.

I really don't want to put it through a car wash but I will if I have to.

Thanks!

expdetailing
01-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Google: Fluid Film, or Amsoil HD Metal Protect

NYV6Coupe
01-14-2015, 07:40 PM
I live in Western NY and whenever I'm lucky enough to get a > 32* day that allows me to do a bucket wash, I rinse the undercarriage with a common oscillating lawn sprinkler.
I lay the hose between the wheels (north - south) and start at the back, letting the sprinkler clean (east - west) and pull the hose forward every few minutes.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Jeep should be high enough to lay on creeper and rinse good with strong hose stream or pressure washer.

expdetailing
01-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Since your jeep is new, I highly recommend you spend $25 on two cans of what I suggested, and use them after you clean your undercarriage. From there, you'll be good 'till next winter.

comma
01-14-2015, 11:32 PM
Since your jeep is new, I highly recommend you spend $25 on two cans of what I suggested, and use them after you clean your undercarriage. From there, you'll be good 'till next winter.

Sorry, it's new to me, not new.
It's a 2000 but in great shape underneath and I just want to keep it that way.

I will only be up there for a week...not sure if I want to put a layer of stuff underneath it. Especially if a wash underneath with a pressure washer will get most of it.

comma
01-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Jeep should be high enough to lay on creeper and rinse good with strong hose stream or pressure washer.

Sorry, what do you mean "lay on creeper"?

brondondolon
01-15-2015, 12:19 AM
if you have a pressure washer get a wand with a head you can change the angle on and go to town. There is also this thing some guy made and sells. Its a long pvc pipe that has holes in it that you hook your hose up to and spray under the car. Your best bet though is to just run it through a touchless wash that has an undercarriage sprayer.

KBsToy
01-15-2015, 05:47 AM
The Underwasher :: Hose accessory that lets you clean under your car, RV, boat or ATV! (http://www.theunderwasher.com/) :xyxthumbs:

damaged442
01-15-2015, 08:39 AM
I just blast everything underneath the car with a hose whenever I have temps above freezing. I do like the sprinkler idea though, I may have to try that!

rwisejr
01-15-2015, 08:43 AM
The Underwasher :: Hose accessory that lets you clean under your car, RV, boat or ATV! (http://www.theunderwasher.com/) :xyxthumbs:

I have one of these and it works perfectly

ndsports
01-24-2015, 04:38 PM
I wanted to share that I watched the Underwasher video a few times, and my dad and I decided to head off to Ace Hardware and we built practically the same thing. It costs us about $18.00 to build it. The most expensive pieces was PVC Glue $5.00 (because ours dried out) and the quick connect that goes on the pvc so you can quickly pop your hose and off without screwing it on. It took us about 15 minutes to build the thing. The part that takes the longest is figuring out how long you want to make it and how many holes you want to put in it. Since its cold out here in Chicago we did a little dry run this morning, check it out!! We can also control the pressure as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYKUqY9rv8

DogRescuer
01-24-2015, 05:32 PM
I live in Western NY and whenever I'm lucky enough to get a > 32* day that allows me to do a bucket wash, I rinse the undercarriage with a common oscillating lawn sprinkler.
I lay the hose between the wheels (north - south) and start at the back, letting the sprinkler clean (east - west) and pull the hose forward every few minutes.

That's a great idea

Sorry, what do you mean "lay on creeper"?

A creeper is basically a rolling platform about 4inches from ground that you can lay on when working on a vehicle.

swanicyouth
01-24-2015, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Cars need to be exposed to this stuff for years and years before there is an issue. One exposure isn't going to hurt anything.

WAXOFF
01-24-2015, 07:25 PM
This is what use. I don't know why AGO doesn't sell these. It works great.

Amazon.com: 16" Undercarriage Cleaner, 4000 PSI: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/16-Undercarriage-Cleaner-4000-PSI/dp/B0065OYYQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422145327&sr=8-1&keywords=under+car+washer)