PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Interior Pillar Trim Fabric

Shunsuke
01-14-2015, 02:07 PM
I picked up a Lexus RX recently and noticed the interior (beige) pillar trim and back cargo area are looking dirty. What would be recommended to clean this upholstery? It looks pretty thin and I don't want to be too aggressive and damage the material. In fact, instead of be a multi layer fabric, it almost seems like a felt or velour.

Many thanks in advance!

HUMP DIESEL
01-14-2015, 03:13 PM
I've found a microfiber towel with a spritz of upholstery cleaner will do the trick, just lightly wipe.

You could also try a foaming cleaner.

HUMP

conman1395
01-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Do some reading and video watching! That stuff if very thin and very easy to damage. Very very easy to damage.

Shunsuke
01-14-2015, 03:40 PM
@conman1395 - Yes, I'm very hesitant to get aggressive.

Like Hump suggested, a post I read somewhere suggested spraying Folex on a cloth and wiping it down. But, I have no experience with the product.

conman1395
01-14-2015, 04:04 PM
@conman1395 - Yes, I'm very hesitant to get aggressive.

Like Hump suggested, a post I read somewhere suggested spraying Folex on a cloth and wiping it down. But, I have no experience with the product.
My girlfriend has this annoying idea that doing her eye makeup in my car is easier than standing in front of a mirror. So I am frequently cleaning that material because it gets dirty when she reaches for the visor mirror. I use Folex on a microfiber towel and it works very well. You can get a gallon at Lowe's pretty cheap. It's great for the car and house.

allenk4
01-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Pictures please

wdmaccord
01-14-2015, 05:36 PM
I'd recommend a vent brush and Folex or CG Lightning Fast. After you clean with the brush then dab with a MF. Then I recommend dabbing with some filtered water on a MF multiple times to "rinse" and try and remove as much cleaning residue as possible.

If you don't have a vent brush (well then you should get one...I can't live without it) and want to go the MF route, I would recommend never "wiping" but rather "dabbing". It will take longer but you need to be patient cleaning these things.

Niblick
01-14-2015, 05:45 PM
:iagree:

Shunsuke
01-14-2015, 06:51 PM
I have a vent brush. I'll follow this technique and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

wdmaccord
01-14-2015, 08:43 PM
I have a vent brush. I'll follow this technique and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

come back with some before and after pics too please.

WAXOFF
01-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Tornador Black

Shunsuke
01-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Tornador Black

Never heard of TB, but looks interesting. Any caveats when using this? After watching some videos online, looks like it could make easy work for cleaning the pillars, rear gate and cargo area.

Shunsuke
01-15-2015, 10:19 PM
I picked up a Lexus RX recently and noticed the interior (beige) pillar trim and back cargo area are looking dirty. What would be recommended to clean this upholstery? It looks pretty thin and I don't want to be too aggressive and damage the material. In fact, instead of be a multi layer fabric, it almost seems like a felt or velour. .

I plan on getting a Tornado Black. Anyone feel this might be too powerful to use on the Lexus trim?

allenk4
01-16-2015, 12:01 AM
I plan on getting a Tornado Black. Anyone feel this might be too powerful to use on the Lexus trim?

It runs at 90 psi

If you think that presents a risk, just don't hold it as close to the trim

I would think the trim on a Lexus is at less RIA than a lower priced model