PDA

View Full Version : DA Polisher pads

Pages : [1] 2

Jersey John
01-13-2015, 12:48 PM
I have finally picked out a polisher and a backing plate for it, but now I'm lost trying to figure out what pads I need to get. I look at all the pads out there but the colors and their uses don't make any sense. Can someone please tell me what cut I should use for each stage of the process (compound, polish, sealant?, wax). Also is there any advantage to using a DA to apply wax because I use Collinite 845 now and have no problem by hand.
Thanks in advance :buffing:
PS: I just do family and friends cars so I don't have a high volume of vehicles nor am I looking for the peak of perfection, I just want to get rid of all the swirls. And I'll be using a 5"/3.5" backing plate.

KMdef9
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Lots of threads on this.

What machine are you using?

Using a DA to spread wax/sealant gives a nice even spread of product. I don't waste my time doing it by hand anymore.

lawrenceSA
01-13-2015, 12:57 PM
I assume you have a traditional 8mm DA.... something like the PC or Megs G220 or harbor freight DA.

If so I would firstly recommend getting 5.5" pads for your bigger BP and 4" pads for the smaller BP.

My favorites are the Lake Country Hydrotech range.

Cyan for cutting
Tangerine for polishing
Crimson for final polishing / possibly LSP (although I generally use a soft black pad for applying LSP's

Secondly, the thinner the height of the pad the better.

On a (comparatively) underpowered machine the machine can spin the smaller diameter pad faster, and transfer the power to the face of the pad better than thicker larger pads.

In the 4" pads, I have Lake Country flat pads

Orange for cutting
White for polishing
Black for LSP

And yes, I do see advantage in applying LSP's by machine - it is easier to get a thinner coat with more even coverage.

I am sure plenty others will chime in with their opinions.

Oh and lastly I also prefer flat pads to the CCS and other 'dimpled' designs.... more surface seems to be in contact with the paint, and to me, this means a) better cutting and b) a more even finish.

:dblthumb2:

Jersey John
01-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Since I'm just doing family and friends and I don't have excess cash to use on this I'm just going with the Harbor Freight DA.

Jersey John
01-13-2015, 12:59 PM
I assume you have a traditional 8mm DA.... something like the PC or Megs G220 or harbor freight DA.

If so I would firstly recommend getting 5.5" pads for your bigger BP and 4" pads for the smaller BP.

My favorites are the Lake Country Hydrotech range.

Cyan for cutting
Tangerine for polishing
Crimson for final polishing / possibly LSP (although I generally use a soft black pad for applying LSP's

Secondly, the thinner the height of the pad the better.

On a (comparatively) underpowered machine the machine can spin the smaller diameter pad faster, and transfer the power to the face of the pad better than thicker larger pads.

In the 4" pads, I have Lake Country flat pads

Orange for cutting
White for polishing
Black for LSP

And yes, I do see advantage in applying LSP's by machine - it is easier to get a thinner coat with more even coverage.

I am sure plenty others will chime in with their opinions.

Oh and lastly I also prefer flat pads to the CCS and other 'dimpled' designs.... more surface seems to be in contact with the paint, and to me, this means a) better cutting and b) a more even finish.

:dblthumb2:

Thanks for the help and I know this will sound really stupid but I'm assuming cutting is compounding

Jersey John
01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Another stupid question because I'm this clueless. Would you apply with one pad and then remove with a completely separate pad, thus needing 2 of each pad I get.

dlc95
01-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help and I know this will sound really stupid but I'm assuming cutting is compounding

Yes.

lawrenceSA
01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Yes, cutting = compounding

No, you will use a pad to polish an section of the paint (you will invariably need a couple of each color) wiping off any polish residue before it dries with a quality microfibre towel.

Then you move on to the next section and repeat.

Mike Phillips has countless articles which will be the best starting point for someone in your position. They are just a wealth of incredible information

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-car-detailing-articles-mike-phillips.html

dlc95
01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Another stupid question because I'm this clueless. Would you apply with one pad and then remove with a completely separate pad, thus needing 2 of each pad I get.

You work the compound / polish with a pad, and remove with a towel, typically microfiber. You'll be well advised to get a few pads for the compounding / polishing steps.

KMdef9
01-13-2015, 01:12 PM

I don't remove wax with a pad, I use a very nice edgeless MF towel.

dlc95
01-13-2015, 01:45 PM
The pad selection can be crazy, and might be a bit over complicated.

Many times, you can just look at the available cutting / polishing / finishing pads and select one type of each. Look at the function before the color though, because it isn't universal.

For foam, I predominantly use Hex Logic pads.

Green for cutting, blue for polishing, and red for waxing.

If I need more cut, I'll use the blue Rupes microfiber pad.

cartman1
01-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Chemical guys have a hex logic starter kit. Not the greatest quality but you mentioned you were not looking for perfection.

LRC3
01-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Pad selection can drive you bat sh*t crazy..

I like that Lake Country and Megs are cutting to the chase with the 3 pad options (Megs Burgandy, Yellow, Black and LC Hydro Cyan, Tangerine, Red)

3 of each (9) gets you started, then add more as needed.

VISITOR
01-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Lots of threads on this.

:iagree: both the b&s 5.5" flat pads and megs 5" DA foam discs are excellent choices, you can't go wrong with either...

brettS4
01-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Agreed.. I understand the whole compound vs polish vs sealant or wax thing.

But pad selection is insane now. I can barely grasp the variations of foam pads. But now I have to think about MF, hybrid and wool pads, too.

The worst part is that you don't really know what you need until you need it. Not a big deal for the pros who see a lot of different cars and see it as a business investment. But for us hobbyists who only detail our own cars, and maybe a few for family and friends and don't want to invest in a dozen different types, it's overwhelming to try and choose the most likely needed 3 pads and hope you don't choose wrong.

You have to factor in paint type (hard or soft), paint condition, compounding/polishing products and buffer type. And also decide if you need more than one size pad.

I agree with LRC3 about narrowing down the available selection. I'm replacing all my pads this spring and I personally plan to go just with LC Hydrotechs, getting a few of each.

The Megs discs look very nice, but I've heard they become saturated with product kinda fast. Can any users comment on that?