PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully someone learns from my mistake!

Cvjeticanin
01-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Hey Guys! I just wanted to post up some pics & videos of my horrible experience with 3M Clear Bra removal process. I didn't think that I was going to have everything go wrong but that's exactly what happened.

First, I'm not a professional detailer but I do love everything about it and I have done my fair share of research. I'm trying my best to self teach myself and for now I have only done family vehicles with great results (not including this project of course). :bash:

Here's a pic of the old 3M Clear Bra (has been on the vehicle for 10 or so years)
You can see how bad it looked and needed to be removed for sure!

Here is a picture of my first BIG MISTAKE:
After using the steamer on the hood, fender, & mirrors to remove the Clear Bra with no problem I got a little to comfortable and this is what happened on the bumper!
I started removing it a little bit quicker without enough heat from the steamer and the Clear Coat just peeled right up with it!

LESSON LEARNED:
Take your time while removing any film or adhesive from paint!

I'm still not sure if maybe the Clear Coat under the Bra might have been weakened from years of adhesive over it and no waxes or sealents to protect it.

Here is my SECOND BIG MISTAKE!

After removing the Bra I noticed a line in the paint where it was installed. I couldn't feel the line with my nail but it was very noticable and it definately wasn't a razor cut line.
Well, I tried to remove it thinking it was only in the clear coat. Without measuring the paint thickness(I didn't have the tool to do this) I shouldn't have attempted to remove it at all.

I compouned the area a couple of times with a DA Polisher, Megs Microfiber cutting pad, and Megs M101 compound. I noticed an improvement and should have stopped while I was ahead but my rookie mistake is that I thought the line was only in the clear coat. I was wrong and that is percisely how I burned through the Clear Coat!

After noticing that I burned through that Clear Coat and still seeing the line in the base coat, I wanted to keep compounding just to see if the base coat itself was hallogramed and that's why you see the black primer in the picture.

LESSON LEARNED:
Just because you see it and can't feel it doesn't mean the imperfection is just in the clear coat. Be very cautious and invest in a Paint Thickness Gauge if you will be doing a lot of compound and especially if you plan on doing any wetsanding.

Here's a couple of videos where you can see the halogram/bra line and the burned section of the paint. It's hard to see the bra line in the paint where I burned through but it's still visable in person.

(I will post videos later when I have some extra time)

I hope this thread helps others so they don't make the same mistakes that I just made.

Setec Astronomy
01-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Well, first, I'm sorry this went so awry. Second, I may not know what I'm talking about, but that PPF didn't look so bad in the befores, I think I would have tried giving it a light polish first before I tried to take it off.

Cvjeticanin
01-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Here are the videos as promised. I couldn't edit them into my original post for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUY5aCea52s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FYjqRhHUiI

Cvjeticanin
01-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Well, first, I'm sorry this went so awry. Second, I may not know what I'm talking about, but that PPF didn't look so bad in the befores, I think I would have tried giving it a light polish first before I tried to take it off.

Yea I know the PPF wasn't too horrible but my brother insisted that he wanted it removed. He hated the fact that it was only a partial wrap. He said he might have the whole hood done after we have it repainted and the paint has enough cure time.

allenk4
01-13-2015, 12:01 PM
The "line" was only in the CC

That took some work to get down to the primer on a flat panel with a DA

I am glad it was a Family members car

I hope he is your Younger, Smaller Brother

If I was him.....i would kick you in the groin Very Firmly. Like, take two steps into it and a lifting motion at the end of the swing. Maybe even from behind, so you don't have a chance to flinch or tighten up

Cvjeticanin
01-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks! Lol that makes me feel better...rookie mistake i guess.. hopefully i never go through this again!

Dellinger
01-13-2015, 02:59 PM
If I was him.....i would kick you in the groin Very Firmly. Like, take two steps into it and a lifting motion at the end of the swing. Maybe even from behind, so you don't have a chance to flinch or tighten up

This is not helpful. At this point you are blathering for no good reason. It's pretty obvious "someone" was pissed but we don't need to create hypothetical retaliations. And, at this point, I don't think the OP needs another round of shame.

Everyone starts 'somewhere'. And everyone encounters their own troubles. Professionals & Enthusiasts alike.

Let's show this guy some grace and thank him for having the guts to display his misfortunes.

I know you started a similar type thread in late-2014 and I don't believe anyone created a 'If I was him...' kind of statement.

allenk4
01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Dellinger

Get a sense of Humor

I did thank the OP for posting, in another thread

When I make a mistake, I kick myself in the groin, sometimes as a prophylactic measure

EXTJosh
01-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks for posting this, I know that sinking feeling when you've done irreversible damage. Your post prevents other new guys (like me) from making the same mistake down the road--to me that's worth its weight just as much as the how-to's on this site. Again, thanks.

EXTJosh
01-13-2015, 04:00 PM

LOL :laughing:

GenesisCoupe
01-13-2015, 04:59 PM
The "line" was only in the CC

That took some work to get down to the primer on a flat panel with a DA

I am glad it was a Family members car

I was going to ask if this was a real customer, and glad to hear it wasn't after reading this funny post.

Smitty4x4
01-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks! Lol that makes me feel better...rookie mistake i guess.. hopefully i never go through this again!

I want to thank you for being willing to share when many would be to embarrassed to say anything. I am not a pro detailer. More of a previous car cleaning enthusiast that has recently decided to step up to a higher level my cars. This is the kind of thing I need to see to keep me in check when I want to go gloss hunting as a newb. Thank you again.

Allen,
I got it. A little razzing to lighten things up, kind of like you would do standing with a group of friends. This is the way I perceived it anyway. Too bad tone and inflection are so hard to convey through text.

FUNX650
01-13-2015, 05:51 PM
This is not helpful. At this point you are blathering for no good reason. It's pretty obvious "someone" was pissed but we don't need to create hypothetical retaliations. And, at this point, I don't think the OP needs another round of shame.

Everyone starts 'somewhere'. And everyone encounters their own troubles. Professionals & Enthusiasts alike.

Let's show this guy some grace and thank him for having the guts to display his misfortunes.

I know you started a similar type thread in late-2014 and I don't believe anyone created a 'If I was him...' kind of statement.
^^^ :goodpost: ^^^

Bob

allenk4
01-13-2015, 06:04 PM
^^^ :goodpost: ^^^

Bob

Not Surprised

LP14SS
01-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Thanks for posting this, I know that sinking feeling when you've done irreversible damage. Your post prevents other new guys (like me) from making the same mistake down the road--to me that's worth its weight just as much as the how-to's on this site. Again, thanks.

Couldn't agree more with this!