PDA

View Full Version : Buffer/polisher STORAGE

98LowRanger
01-13-2015, 01:19 AM
This may be an odd question, but I store my Flex 3401 laying on top of a cabinet. It's not the handiest place. I also have a large rotary buffer that I store in a cabinet and a small pneumatic polisher that I store in a drawer. At Christmas I added a Porter Cable to my arsenal (mainly as a backup, for carpets, wax removal, etc.) and decided that I would really like to HANG all my polishers/buffers on the wall in my garage. I feel like it would be the best use of space (I don't want to add any more cabinets and I have free wall space) and also more convenient. It is not insulated (has no dry wall/sheet rock) so I thought about just buying a sheet of pegboard and using hooks to hang them up with. Is it ok on the backing plates for them to hold the weight of the machine while hanging? Any of you guys have any pictures you can provide of how you have your buffers mounted on the wall would be great!

Firehouse Mike
01-13-2015, 02:43 AM
I would, and do worry about the spindle(s) getting tweaked over time from hanging. I'm working with a local metal fabricator to make an inexpensive rack that could be wall mounted or hang from the side of a service cart - almost a sort of holster that would rest the weight on the housing of the unit.....
:buffing:

BillyJack
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
No pics, since I'm at work, but I store both my rotary and my GG horizontally on my pegboard wall. I just used a pair of long hooks, about 10 inches, for each one. The front hook is positioned as far forward as possible, just behind the spindle shield on the GG, and the spindle on the rotary, since they're front-heavy. I use velcro straps on the cords, so the cord loop and the spindle wrench hang from one of the hooks also.

Bill

Kamakaz1961
01-13-2015, 05:00 PM
I do not mount my polishers on a wall, I have a tool box or bag (PC) that I put them in. I would show pics but that would not be my point. IMO I see no problems hanging the DA's & Rotaries on the wall. These things are built tough and to last.

Hanging would not be an issue at all. To each is own and I think you way is just fine for you!! Way cool too!

dcjredline
01-13-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm a little more OCD than you guys. My GG6 is in its original box still. I wrap the cord around it like it was new.

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online

jcb27
01-13-2015, 07:52 PM
I just added a Flex 3401 to my PC 7424XP. I used to store the PC in a cabinet on a shelf along with all my other detailing supplies. Thanks to all the sales that AG had over the holidays beginning on Black Friday, I ran out of room in my cabinet so the Flex wouldn't fit. Ended up going to Sears and picking up a tool cabinet (bottom) with wheels and 3 drawers. Works perfect. Top drawer is where all my hand pads, brushes, applicators, etc are stored. The middle drawer holds the Flex and PC along with my backing plates. The bottom drawer is large and holds all of my pads for the machines. Glad to see the sales have quieted down.

jcb27
01-13-2015, 08:07 PM
I thought about hanging the machines from peg board, but I was concerned that over time dust/dirt would mess them up. Not sure if that is a legitimate concern, but that was my thought process.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/74665/IMG_01816.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/74665/IMG_01825.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/74665/IMG_01835.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/74665/IMG_01847.JPG

custmsprty
01-13-2015, 08:47 PM
When you lay your polishers on their sides like that in a drawer their is a really good chance that the backing plate can get bent on the edge which is not a good thing.

jcb27
01-13-2015, 09:01 PM
When you lay your polishers on their sides like that their is a really good chance that the backing plate can get bent on the edge which is not a good thing.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I'll lay them so the BP is up.

custmsprty
01-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I'll lay them so the BP is up.

First hand experience.

dlc95
01-13-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm a little more OCD than you guys. My GG6 is in its original box still. I wrap the cord around it like it was new.

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online

My back up 7424xp, Duetto, and 3401 are all in their boxes on the shelf. I have a 7424xp in rotation that gets used the most, and it stays in the Griot's bag, ready to go.

jarred767
01-13-2015, 10:20 PM
If you want to hang them, Mario made these nice boxes so you don't have to put any stress on the buffer or BP's. They look pretty good, maybe he'll chime in with more info as these could easily be adapted to be hung on a garage wall.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=89649&size=1

I thought he had more pictures of the setup over on Meguiars, but I can't seem to find them now. I'd love a good carrying option in my car, but don't have room for something that bulky and never really like the bags as I feel like it puts too much stress on the cord where it comes out of the buffer.

Good luck with getting something figured out!