PDA

View Full Version : 3 months into my winter treatment: sonus Ion.

Pages : [1] 2

octane
01-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Today was a warm day compared to the -15F we had for most of the week here in Ottawa, so I decided to take out the propane heaters and wash the cars in my winter car shelter.

3 months ago I applied CQ Uk to my car, and Sonus Ion to the wifes car.

the CQ Uk is still beading like the first day, but the Sonus Ion seems to be all gone on all panels!

I really wanted to test the durability of this product since it sounded so promising. I washed the car maybe 6 times since it was applied, and no toppers were applied, normal dilution of soap was used (ultima), and no beading or sheeting anymore. At the last wash, a couple of weeks ago, I could see it was on the way out, but I'm still kind of dissapointed!

I did my usual prep, used a coating prep polish, applied product per directions, than let it dry for an hour before removing. I usually get 6 months with menzerna powerlock, and even more with wolfgang paint sealant on that car. Ion seems like a dud to me if it doesn't even last a quarter of the time it's supossed to last. Moral of the story, if you find something that works, stick with it!

VISITOR
01-11-2015, 11:24 PM
wow, that's a shame :( . I was thinking about purchasing some sonus ion coating too...

fly07sti
01-11-2015, 11:35 PM
That does suck. I have an unopened bottle on my shelf. How were the looks of it though?

builthatch
01-11-2015, 11:40 PM
i just thought of something after reading the description of that product.

could it be that road treatment chemicals screw with the ionic bond this product claims to use and cause it to release from the surface?

before Kyle Allen comes in and asks me for some sort of proof of the theory behind my hypothesis (lol), i do not have anything for ya, pal!

FUNX650
01-11-2015, 11:55 PM

could it be that road treatment chemicals screw with the ionic bond this product claims to use and cause it to release from the surface?

Purely ionic bonding cannot exist. :D

Bob

octane
01-12-2015, 06:44 AM
That does suck. I have an unopened bottle on my shelf. How were the looks of it though?
the looks of it were great when I lasted, on par with the best

octane
01-12-2015, 06:46 AM

before Kyle Allen comes in and asks me for some sort of proof of the theory behind my hypothesis (lol), i do not have anything for ya, pal!

they use a lot of road salt here, so I see a lot of products that start to fail on the front clip, at the bottom of the doors and around fenders, where most of the salt ends up. this one failed everywhere at the same time, maybe the extremely cold temperature we had a week ago killed it off!

swanicyouth
01-12-2015, 08:00 AM
I have a bottle of this stuff and have yet to use it. I think it's a little screwy they call it a coating, obviously it's a sealant. It's funny you mentioned it lasted 3 mos - because that is exactly how long the Sonüs dude tools me it would last at last year's Detail Fest.

Then somehow when the copy came about, it's was saying it would last a year.

octane
01-12-2015, 08:18 AM
I have a bottle of this stuff and have yet to use it. I think it's a little screwy they call it a coating, obviously it's a sealant. It's funny you mentioned it lasted 3 mos - because that is exactly how long the Sonüs dude tools me it would last at last year's Detail Fest.

Then somehow when the copy came about, it's was saying it would last a year.

guess a marketing guy got the last word...

Dereksdtail
01-12-2015, 08:37 AM
I have one coat on the wife's car I think I might put another on just to try and use it up, it seems to bead well right now but doesn't sheet very good

octane
01-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Mine beaded pretty well for the first 2 months, then started to go very fast

rj45
01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Mine beaded pretty well for the first 2 months, then started to go very fast

Seems like Sonus ION isn't too durable. Sonax PNS beads well for a lot longer than two months. I have a nearly six month old coat on my father's rarely washed car that's still beading surprisingly well (at least on the somewhat clean top surfaces, sides are crummy).

I was considering ION because its ease of use, but ended up getting another bottle of PNS since it was on sale. Guess it was for the best.

octane
01-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Rewashed the car again today, (really weird winter here in Ottawa, Artic cold then 1 day over freezing, repeat cycle)

it's almost beading a bit around the rear spoiler, and I remember starting and finishing there, so it got two coats on that spot from what I can remember... still with 2 coats, it should last longer than 3 months and a week !

last winter PNS was still going super strong at the end of winter, so I will stick with that next year for my familly members car's

The Guz
01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
That is definitely not good to hear about ion. Have you contacted Sonus? Perhaps you can provide them some feedback and see what they say.

Dereksdtail
01-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Dang I still have a whole bottle of this "coating"