PDA

View Full Version : Quantities for a hobbyist detailer

cartman1
01-11-2015, 09:47 AM
When building up your supply list, is there anything I should try getting in bigger quantities, for example 16oz vs 1 gallon?

I am planning on doing 3-5 cars only.

I've already ordered CG mr pink in 1 gallon and also ordered their luber in 1 gallon. I think the 1 gallon luber might be over kill since I'm not going to lube my car very often.

Any other suggestions on which products I should go big or skimp on?

Also, I got the Wolfgang exterior trim in a 4oz package but everyone here said you don't really use much of that so I hope that will last me 40 years or so lol

Ebg18t
01-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Buy the small product first and then determine how much you will use in a 12-18 month period. If you can use a 64oz or 128oz in that period order the larger size and use it to refill the small one you started with.

I got a little over zealous a few years ago about how much product I would use. I ended up buying 4, 5L containers of Sonax wheel cleaner (bulk sale). 3 years later I still have 1.5 containers left. most things don't go bad, but a lot of times new things come out and you may want to try something different.

Kamakaz1961
01-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Buy the small product first and then determine how much you will use in a 12-18 month period. If you can use a 64oz or 128oz in that period order the larger size and use it to refill the small one you started with.

I got a little over zealous a few years ago about how much product I would use. I ended up buying 4, 5L containers of Sonax wheel cleaner (bulk sale). 3 years later I still have 1.5 containers left. most things don't go bad, but a lot of times new things come out and you may want to try something different.

:iagree:I still have quite a bit of RW and Aquawax QD. I bought 1 Gallon jugs. I try different products too. This is to determine if one product is better than the other. After trying quite a few I have narrowed it down. But I gave away a lot of stuff because some worked well with me some didn't.

Try some small amounts 1st (16oz is an example). That way once you find out it is right for you. Based on working about 3 to 5 cars, 16oz should be sufficient.

aim4squirrels
01-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Buy the smallest amount you can get away with of any product. Try it first, before you go off somebody else's recommendation. Find what you like, then buy in large quantities when AG has free, or flat rate shipping.

New chemicals and formulations come out all the time, some are good, some bad, and some were good for their time, but better has come along.

I bought some soap for a foam cannon based on recommendations of others I read here and other forums. Bought the gallon size as that was the most economical. The great reviews all came out when nothing on the market worked as well as said product. When I got it, I found I had to use way more product to get the same level of foamy goodness that I got from three other soaps I already owned.

Just be careful how much you order, or you'll become an AG regional warehouse, like me.

JSFM35x
01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
for polish, always buy the smallest, in time newer better products come out. I have 5 cars and they are all mint. I have never finished a bottle of polish ever. Iron X, APC and car wash I but in larger containers because I go through those more often. However, start small to make sure you like it first.

cartman1
01-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys. I'll probably end up keeping the CG mr pink in 1 gallon. But do I really need a gallon of luber? How much luber so you use per car approximately?

EVOlved
01-11-2015, 04:32 PM
I bought some soap for a foam cannon based on recommendations of others I read here and other forums. Bought the gallon size as that was the most economical. The great reviews all came out when nothing on the market worked as well as said product. When I got it, I found I had to use way more product to get the same level of foamy goodness that I got from three other soaps I already owned.

Just be careful how much you order, or you'll become an AG regional warehouse, like me.

I have to ask what soap was it?

builthatch
01-11-2015, 04:56 PM
yeah keep quantities/volumes small until you figure out what you need and what works best for your preferences.

i'm a KISS type of person so once i find something that works, i stick with it. if i have a worthy complaint about it, then maybe i'll try to find something that addresses that issue.

also keep your eyes peeled for products that are very versatile with multiple uses, as obv you'll go through those pretty fast. APC is a common one. for me, Opti-Clean is the most high volume product for me. i use it for literally everything except soft upholstery and tires, lol and i use it A LOT.

cardaddy
01-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys. I'll probably end up keeping the CG mr pink in 1 gallon. But do I really need a gallon of luber? How much luber so you use per car approximately?

You'll use PLENTY of shampoos by the gallon. I'd actually say get that Mr. Pink, but you might also want to try Meguiar's Hyper Wash or better yet Duragloss 902 (It's 901 in anything smaller than a gallon jug). I also have Shampoo Plus and Honeydew. ;) I've bought Mr. Pink, Honeydew, DG 902 and Shampoo Plus multiple times. In the future I'll not be buying any more Shampoo Plus, and probably not any Honeydew. If you want TONS of sticky suds Hyper Wash is right up there. I'll do a mix of it and either Mr. Pink or DG 902 for foam cannon duties and it sticks like nothing else.

Others to get by the gallon would be something like Meguiar's Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner as you'll use a ton of that. Don't forgot your favorite spray wax. Around here that's Duragloss Aquawax and Meguair's D156 (DG gets used 2:1 to Megs though.) ;)

Do you need a gallon of 'luber'? I'd say you don't need it at all!!!

Any QD spray mixed dilution of products like ONR or Megs D114 Rinseless Wash with just 2~3 drops of shampoo will make a super slick 'luber'. In fact, if you wash first, get it all clean, then rinse you can take your wash mitt and throw your soapy water back on the surface and use it as clay lube. It also works for clay and neoprene type products (like Nanoskin pads whether for your DA or hand held sponges/mitts) very very VERY well.

KMdef9
01-11-2015, 06:42 PM
You don't have to go smallest first on everything. Car wash soap is cheap and used alot so it's safe to buy it by the gallon. Same with an all purpose cleaner (APC).

Also, get a gallon of ONR. You won't regret it. It works as a clay lube and much cheaper than Luber.

Just about everything else, try small first, then upgrade to the gallon if needed.