PDA

View Full Version : What to put my gallon supplies in?

Pages : [1] 2

BrianMcLeod
01-11-2015, 01:55 AM
So for such things like tire gel and car soap what could I refill instead of hauling out the big gallon jug?? I know yall know some neat way! Thanks

SameGuy
01-11-2015, 02:03 AM
Dollar store squeeze bottles. Guess how much they cost. :)

VISITOR
01-11-2015, 02:31 AM
I like to use pvc style bottles like the one below. you can always go down to your local sally's beauty supply (or beauty/supply store) and pick some similiar type bottles up as well...
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/Misc/sku/400/66166p.jpg

jarred767
01-11-2015, 02:35 AM
I use the Meguiars squeeze bottles for all the products like that (and waxes, polishes, and compounds) and then the 32oz spray bottles for all the liquid things like APC, Wheel cleaners, IPAs, dressings, etc. i have a couple tote buckets with lids in my car that they're all kept in. Having them all uniform helps. And the Meguiars bottles are good quality; I have many that are 9 years old and still holding up strong with daily use.

conman1395
01-11-2015, 02:43 AM
Or the smaller versions of the product. I have a smaller DG 901 bottle that I pour the gallon into. If you don't have any of those, I'd go the dollar store route.

215Detailing
01-11-2015, 06:53 AM
hope this helps: U.S. Plastic Corporation | Plastic Tanks | Plastic Buckets | Plastic Bottles | Labware | Plastic Tubing | PVC Pipe | U.S. Plastic Corp. (http://usplastics.com/)

Bunky
01-11-2015, 07:02 AM
I just reuse 16 and 32 bottles.

MI Mike
01-11-2015, 09:33 AM
I just reuse 16 and 32 bottles.

As everyone has mentioned. I have started using the 32 oz. spray bottles, that the spray mechanism has stopped working. Pull the fill tube. If the bottle has measuring marks its even better. Turn spray nozzle to off and recycle. Even some dishwashing liquid caps will work.

cartman1
01-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Those meguiars squeeze bottles are expensive in my opinion at 2.99. I bought just one for my collinite 845. However, will look to buy dollar store spray bottle or the beauty store bottles.

Ebg18t
01-11-2015, 09:48 AM
For spray items I use the Autogeek 32oz sprayers (3/$14.99). I used to use the Mercury sprayers, but I can get 3 AG for the price of 1 Mercury. For polishes, etc I use the Autogeek/Mcguires FlipTop containers ($3-4/each).

KMdef9
01-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Or the smaller versions of the product. I have a smaller DG 901 bottle that I pour the gallon into. If you don't have any of those, I'd go the dollar store route.

This is what I do, as I try the smaller version of something first before I buy it by the gallon.

SameGuy
01-11-2015, 02:35 PM
The Meguiar's/AutoGeek self-cleaning squeeze bottles are only expensive ($3?) until you use one. Then it becomes the best $3 you've spent in a while. After using them in the DAMF kit I ordered a bunch for other products (D151, M21, BFWD, etc.). I've ordered a few more for use with my recent Menzerna purchases.

PiPUK
01-11-2015, 02:40 PM
If you want to do it right, there is no easy answer. PET, for instance, is great if a product has solvents, useless if it has certain pH modifiers. HDPE is great for a range of pH, but useless with certain solvents. My advice is that you really shouldn't decant into anything, unless the manufacturer recommends it or you know better.

SameGuy
01-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Well the assumption is the original poster wishes to decant fairly benign products like car wash shampoo and tire and trim dressing. Strong acids and bases should of course be handled with due care.

PiPUK
01-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Well the assumption is the original poster wishes to decant fairly benign products like car wash shampoo and tire and trim dressing. Strong acids and bases should of course be handled with due care.

Strong acids and bases are actually very easy to store safely. Your benign tyre and trim dressing could destroy those same bottles. This potential confusion, to the extent of quite what is benign to any particular plastic is why, as a manufacturer, I would only have users decant into something I specifically recommended. The other concern is labelling. Most serious accidents we hear of will occur when someone decants into an unsuitable container which then gets ingested.