PDA

View Full Version : Billet aluminum engine accessories

57chevy
01-10-2015, 09:24 PM
My sons ranger caught on fire. All accessories on engine are billet aluminum. Heavy soot damage took a piece to a restoration place and they couldn't help me. I took some mothers billet polish and got some cleaned up. Does anyone have any ideas on what steps and products can be taken to bring it back. He has spent a lot of money on it3192131922

brondondolon
01-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Go to any grocery store or hardware store and get a bottle of grease lightning to clean them. Then get a tube of wenols and polish. I used to do this with go ped parts all the time to make a poor man's chrome. If you can't find grease lightning any oven cleaner will work. This however will strip any color off the pieces. Also if u let the oven cleaner sit to long it will turn the metal brown so be careful.

If soot has bonded to the piece try using a brass wire brush.

FUNX650
01-10-2015, 10:23 PM
To remove this kind of soot...
I've used an OTC-APC/Degreaser, such as:
Extreme Simple Green Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser...
with a soft bristle brush, and plenty of disposable cloths.

Once the soot is pretty well cleaned-up...
Continue with the Mother's Billet Aluminum Polish and some polishing buffs that have arbors for use with 3/8" drill motors.

Good Luck!
It's going to take a little elbow grease and patience.

Bob

StangFan25
01-11-2015, 01:19 AM
No insurance?

Mantilgh
01-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Probably buying back from insurance co. or swapping for OEM before ins co. picks it up.

aim4squirrels
01-11-2015, 10:14 AM
No insurance?

Often times, people don't tell their insurance companies that they have added $10,000 worth of go-fast goodies or bling-bling to their vehicles as the insurance would either skyrocket or get dropped if they suspect you race your vehicle, or your vehicle has a unique heightened interest to thieves.

Regular run-of-the-mill insurance doesn't cover aftermarket parts. That's rims included.

57chevy
01-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the advice I'm going to try it. Truck has insurance just liability on it. Reason for this is because it's my sons show truck. It's not worth much blue book but priceless to him. So insurance would've totaled it and he would've lost truck. Mainly cosmetic and wiring damage. The pic of engine still has fire extinguisher spray on it.

dad07
01-11-2015, 12:04 PM
To remove this kind of soot...
I've used an OTC-APC/Degreaser, such as:
Extreme Simple Green Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser...
with a soft bristle brush, and plenty of disposable cloths.

Once the soot is pretty well cleaned-up...
Continue with the Mother's Billet Aluminum Polish and some polishing buffs that have arbors for use with 3/8" drill motors.

Good Luck!
It's going to take a little elbow grease and patience.

Bob

:iagree:

StangFan25
01-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Often times, people don't tell their insurance companies that they have added $10,000 worth of go-fast goodies or bling-bling to their vehicles as the insurance would either skyrocket or get dropped if they suspect you race your vehicle, or your vehicle has a unique heightened interest to thieves.

Regular run-of-the-mill insurance doesn't cover aftermarket parts. That's rims included.

I have custom parts insurance added to my regular policy through progressive. $6000 of coverage(just for the custom parts) is an extra $6 a month.

Anyway, dont want to derail from the op getting help, was just curious if they had insurance.

57BORNTORUN
01-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Most billet accessories are clear coated.If you get the alum. clean enough you can rattle can the clear back on.:buffing: