PDA

View Full Version : any posture tips to prevent a sore back?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Matt@Revive
01-09-2015, 10:20 AM
i have recently become busy with correction work and after a few days my back is killing me. i'm trying to focus on keeping good posture, but went stretching out to polish roofs and hoods i have yet to find a good stance where i can relax my back. any tips to prevent back pain, or will does my body just need to build the muscles that detailing requires?

DetailKitty
01-09-2015, 10:47 AM
I noticed as I detailed more I was able to polish and correct longer.

For me there is no magic stance. I just take breaks when I need them.

builthatch
01-09-2015, 11:19 AM
i don't know if you work out or not but number one compliment to lower back pain is a weak(er) core. build your core through specific exercise. having a strong core reduces the stresses on your lower back BIG TIME. second to that is various points of flexibility but i don't really feel comfortable saying "second" because it should go hand in hand with core strength building.

it's not hard or time consuming either, just have to get on a good, effective program and stick with it to see results. shoot, even if you do planks and some stretches you'd see results. you can actually assemble a complete workout program based solely on plyometrics and bands!

some (obviously not all) of the best detailers are very strong people via working out and it's part of what keeps them going at a high level.

Angus
01-09-2015, 11:20 AM
I find standing on an anti-fatigue mat helps when I've got an all day session planned. This is the one I use from HD:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b637/Double0Angus/1a89eb42-b942-402d-993d-4b8bd37bdd4d_400_zpsd4dc5b6c.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Double0Angus/media/1a89eb42-b942-402d-993d-4b8bd37bdd4d_400_zpsd4dc5b6c.jpg.html)

builthatch
01-09-2015, 11:26 AM
I find standing on an anti-fatigue mat helps when I've got an all day session planned. This is the one I use from HD:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b637/Double0Angus/1a89eb42-b942-402d-993d-4b8bd37bdd4d_400_zpsd4dc5b6c.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Double0Angus/media/1a89eb42-b942-402d-993d-4b8bd37bdd4d_400_zpsd4dc5b6c.jpg.html)

good point. i know in the trade show circuit, it's like a fact that having added cushion in booth space helps overall long term comfort vs. rolled out carpet on concrete.

Kamakaz1961
01-09-2015, 11:35 AM
i don't know if you work out or not but number one compliment to lower back pain is a weak(er) core. build your core through specific exercise. having a strong core reduces the stresses on your lower back BIG TIME. second to that is various points of flexibility but i don't really feel comfortable saying "second" because it should go hand in hand with core strength building.

it's not hard or time consuming either, just have to get on a good, effective program and stick with it to see results. shoot, even if you do planks and some stretches you'd see results. you can actually assemble a complete workout program based solely on plyometrics and bands!

some (obviously not all) of the best detailers are very strong people via working out and it's part of what keeps them going at a high level.

:iagree:Nicely said. Stretching and building strength in your lower "core" muscles will help eliminate the back pain.

sweatthedetails
01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I use a roll around mechanics seat from Sear. Really helps.

Niblick
01-09-2015, 12:27 PM
wearing a support belt can really help too. i really notice the difference if i leave for work without one on. just be cautious of anything the has fastenings at the front, as its all to easy to scratch a wing leaning over to clean the screen

custmsprty
01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
wearing a support belt can really help too. i really notice the difference if i leave for work without one on. just be cautious of anything the has fastenings at the front, as its all to easy to scratch a wing leaning over to clean the screen

The problem with support belts is they actually help diminish core strength over time due to the fact that your body becomes used them and your muscles tend to become weaker.

MarkD51
01-09-2015, 12:40 PM
I use a roll around mechanics seat from Sear. Really helps.

This surely helps when doing side panels, but even still for the extreme low side panels where you're virtually on the ground, this can be pretty taxing after awhile moving down the line.

I got myself a 8' length of soft carpeting remnant from a carpet store for not much money, where I can just sit on it, and slide myself along. Also keeps the machine from getting scraped up as I go.

Even for regular cars, and especially suvs, pickups, the Werner Step Stool helps. Your arms are not as much stretched out in front of you, they're more in a downward position, and plus you can also see "down" onto the paint, helping with correcting, and seeing better at what you are doing.

Take stretch breaks every 10-15 minutes as well. Staves off stiffness-rigor mortis a bit! LOL

Niblick
01-09-2015, 12:44 PM
The problem with support belts is they actually help diminish core strength over time due to the fact that your body becomes used them and your muscles tend to become weaker.

yeah, you're probably right. I'm just to tired when i get in to start jumping around, and too lazy to get up early enough to go to the gym lol

ShaunD
01-09-2015, 12:52 PM
It's kinda inevitable, but to help mitigate a sore back you need strengthen and your hamstrings. Also, warming up before hand, just like any other physical activity is key. Otherwise you get blood pooling and will fatigue quicker. Doing exercises like squats and good mornings will help strengthen the majority of your body but, especially the lower back and hamstrings and quads. The thing people forget is that as soon as you bend past verticle/90 degrees you are engaging the lower back which has to support about 2/3 of your body weight. One thing I do is try not to lock my knees and try to support myself against the vehicle(without denting it) with my hips and or knees. Also, you can rest your torso and or chest against the roof rail which isn't usually at risk for denting/flexing. In short, yes you need to strengthen the muscles required to support you will be in these out stretched positions, and not just assume repetitive motions and overuse will do the job. The thing about using any braces or supports is that you end up not engaging the muscles as much therefore they can become weaker which leaves you prone to injury once the support isn't worn. Just don't try to over do it, and listen to your body when it says enough. Plus they add to the risk of damaging the vehicle if you press against it.
Something I thought about was rigging a harness/strap to the ceiling of my garage to help with extended work on horizontal panels.

builthatch
01-09-2015, 07:52 PM
It's kinda inevitable, but to help mitigate a sore back you need strengthen and your hamstrings. Also, warming up before hand, just like any other physical activity is key. Otherwise you get blood pooling and will fatigue quicker. Doing exercises like squats and good mornings will help strengthen the majority of your body but, especially the lower back and hamstrings and quads. The thing people forget is that as soon as you bend past verticle/90 degrees you are engaging the lower back which has to support about 2/3 of your body weight. One thing I do is try not to lock my knees and try to support myself against the vehicle(without denting it) with my hips and or knees. Also, you can rest your torso and or chest against the roof rail which isn't usually at risk for denting/flexing. In short, yes you need to strengthen the muscles required to support you will be in these out stretched positions, and not just assume repetitive motions and overuse will do the job. The thing about using any braces or supports is that you end up not engaging the muscles as much therefore they can become weaker which leaves you prone to injury once the support isn't worn. Just don't try to over do it, and listen to your body when it says enough. Plus they add to the risk of damaging the vehicle if you press against it.
Something I thought about was rigging a harness/strap to the ceiling of my garage to help with extended work on horizontal panels.

there's a piece of equipment i saw at SEMA that is like a ladder with a horizontal platform on the top that allowed one to lay out over whatever they are working on. i think it was a company based out of Las Vegas that was fabricating them. the dude had a mohawk and was present in the advertising material/pictures.

geekdout
01-09-2015, 08:26 PM
It really comes down to core strength and your muscles getting used to the kind of work your doing. But here are some things that have helped me in addition to what others have said.

If I have to work down low I will lay on my side on a creeper sometimes with a pillow or some padding on one side to make it more comfortable. I found one at Harbor Freight thats actually pretty comfortable.

Try alternating between two different body panels where you are forced to work in different positions.

swanicyouth
01-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Get a lift.