PDA

View Full Version : Spray Wax in cold temps

mdreibelbis
01-09-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm a big Aquawax fan (use while drying car or after the car has been dried) but one of the motivating forces for me to clean the car in the Winter months is to try new products. As such I was looking at Optimum Car wax and upon further reading I saw this blurb:

Conditions to avoid:
Auto Surface temperatures below 55F or greater than 90F.

My car is garaged but there's no heat out there and temps during the Winter range from 30 to 40 degrees.

What's the issue with applying on a car that's 40 degrees - lack of the wax bonding to the surface properly??? Does Aquawax have the same temp recommendations? Am I wasting my time following up a rinseless wash with spray wax when it's cold?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Desertnate
01-09-2015, 09:38 AM
I don't know about the product's your talking about specifically, but in the cold I've found products to streak more, not dry as quickly or become harder to buff out completely. All products may not behave the same way.

KMdef9
01-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Cold temps slow chemical reactions, so the time needed to bond becomes longer. Not that you can't use it below 40, just isn't recommended.

Different products will work differently, in which way, I'm not sure.

I don't think your wasting your time, just make sure the wax dries before buffing it off.

wdmaccord
01-09-2015, 10:21 AM
I don't know about the product's your talking about specifically, but in the cold I've found products to streak more, not dry as quickly or become harder to buff out completely. All products may not behave the same way.

Agree here and experience this when doing RW's in the garage @ 30-40F. AW flashes pretty quickly in the summer but in the lower temps I have to towel it down a couple extra strokes and even then I seem to get a few streaks here and there. Not that it doesn't do it's job, but definitely not as user friendly in my experience.

Kamakaz1961
01-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Cold temps slow chemical reactions, so the time needed to bond becomes longer. Not that you can't use it below 40, just isn't recommended.

Different products will work differently, in which way, I'm not sure.

I don't think your wasting your time, just make sure the wax dries before buffing it off.

:iagree:Well Said

mdreibelbis
01-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks gents!

Given that the car is white I can deal with a little streaking (happens with Optimum W&W sometimes) - I may order some and give it a try.

FUNX650
01-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks gents!

Given that the car is white I can deal with a little streaking (happens with Optimum W&W sometimes) - I may order some and give it a try.
You can always try going outside the manufacturers' recommended temperature-range box.
(Try it on a "Test Spot" first.)

IMO...It'll be difficult to blame them for any poor performances that may occur, though.

In the meantime:
Here's a very good Mike Phillips "temperature article":

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html

Bob

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks gents!

Wait--you're already using ONRWW? Although it can't hurt, applying OCW over ONRWW might be considered a little redundant, although doubtless you'll get a better result with a dedicated wax.

mdreibelbis
01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Wait--you're already using ONRWW? Although it can't hurt, applying OCW over ONRWW might be considered a little redundant, although doubtless you'll get a better result with a dedicated wax.

Aye - ONRWW has wax and it's likely a little repetitive to follow with more but that's how I roll!

Lowejackson
01-13-2015, 07:39 PM
I have used OCW at around 3-4 degrees C (37F?) many times. It can sometimes steak a little but a quick wipe will remove it or something like OID will also remove any minor streaks.

I do not have access to a garage so in winter it gets washed in the cold. Not so popular these days but Optiseal also works very well in the cold