PDA

View Full Version : New member....building my arsenal

cartman1
01-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Hi all,

So I haven't always been interested in detailing but since I got a new car, I want to keep it as nice as possible. By the way, my new car is benz cls550.

The paint is in pretty good condition but it does have swirls. I've been reading a lot on these forums and if have bought a lot of items preparing for my new side hobby.

cartman1
01-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Hi all,

So I haven't always been interested in detailing but since I got a new car, I want to keep it as nice as possible. By the way, my new car is benz cls550.

The paint is in pretty good condition but it does have swirls. I've been reading a lot on these forums and if have bought a lot of items preparing for my new side hobby.

So far I have:

Collinite 845
Smartwax paint sealant
CG v36 (wood veneer inside car)
M205
CG Mr pink
2 buckets with grit guards
CG chenille mf mitt
Cobra hd towel
AG mf towels for buffing
AG plush mf towel for waterles wash
CG waterless car wash
CG hex logic 7 different pads
Nanoskin sponge

And...PC7424xp

I wanted flex 3401 but I can't justify the expense if I'm only planning on doing my car and maybe two more belonging to family.

This forum is super active and I hope I will be able to contribute as much as everyone else here.

PS: I researched my paint code and it is not ceramic clear.

Charleston
01-08-2015, 11:02 PM
What color is your CLS and what year? Newer MB no longer bear the mark to identify ceramiclear FYI

I have worked with a ton of MB paint. With the PC I find myself reaching for the Meguiars Microfiber DA pads (5.5 inch).

The kit comes with cutting pads, d300 (compound) and finishing pads with d301. You may consider that, as it is easy to understand and correct defects quickly with a goodie finish.

Your list is a good one so far. I would add

1. Maybe something a step up from m205 for those heavier defects, or just incase the 205 isn't doing what you want it to do. (Ultimate Compound for example)

He Hate Me
01-08-2015, 11:24 PM
1. Maybe something a step up from m205 for those heavier defects, or just incase the 205 isn't doing what you want it to do. (Ultimate Compound for example)

I think CG V36 is his heavier polish.

cartman1
01-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Metallic gray. I looked at the data card and it did not have a "C" in front of the paint code. The car is 2009.

I forgot to mention all the pads are 5.5. I haven't read great things about the hex logic pads so I am going to switch over to lake country flat pads to do my work.

My paint is not in bad condition that's why I chose 205. I guess if it doesn't work, I'll move to 105 but I wanted to be the least aggressive I could.

I am also getting a Wolfgang exterior trim 4oz bottle.

I forgot to mention that I also have the pad cleaner spray from CG and and the 5.5 backing plate for the 7424.

cartman1
01-08-2015, 11:28 PM
I think CG V36 is his heavier polish.

I actually got v36 because I saw a YouTube video from CG polishing a wood veneer trim. The trim on the car had swirls and mine does too so I got all the tools he used in the video. Come to think of it If I had known better I probably would have used m205 for that wood veneer trim right?

That's when the detailing itch started for me.

He Hate Me
01-08-2015, 11:36 PM
General rule of thumb is your suppose to use the least aggressive polish/compound to do the job, but if that doesn't work then you work down. Some products also work different with different materials. That's why test spots are important as well.

You will be more than pleased with the PC 7424XP, I just recently started as well and both my wife's and I's vehicles came out a lot better than I could have imagined, but just like anything it takes time and trial and error. I seem to also share quite a few of the same products as you. I did notice that the Hex-Logic pads (which I also have) do a pretty good job but the new Meguiars Foam Cut pad is suppose to be really good (I plan to try this next!). I picked up some Lake Country (CCS and Hydro-Tech; Cyan) and found the Hydro-Tech to work a lot better for me (with Menzerna FG-400) than the Hex-Logic, but this was also a lot of trial and error.

The CG Waterless Car Wash is awesome by the way! I also saw some pics of a user and Collinite 845 and was amazed at the water beading capabilities of it, to me it was the best beads I've seen in that thread. I picked up a Nanoskin sponge as well but haven't used it yet, found out about it after using CG Clay unfortunately.

KBsToy
01-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Congrats and watch some Junkmans video`s on you tube

cartman1
01-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I also forgot to mention that I bought the 32oz leatherique pair. That stuff is amazing. I haven't compared to anything else but it did make my seats look new again.

By the way, I'm in west palm beach, if anyone wants to be detailing buddies.

About 20-30 mins away from autogeek. I am going to pick up some supplies tomorrow :)

EVOlved
01-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I also forgot to mention that I bought the 32oz leatherique pair. That stuff is amazing. I haven't compared to anything else but it did make my seats look new again.

By the way, I'm in west palm beach, if anyone wants to be detailing buddies.

About 20-30 mins away from autogeek. I am going to pick up some supplies tomorrow :)

You lucky dog being so close to AG! If I were you I would attend a couple of the Thursday night events that Mike puts together. That will help put some time under your belt and you will be able to learn from the professor himself.

dlc95
01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Metallic gray. I looked at the data card and it did not have a "C" in front of the paint code. The car is 2009.

I forgot to mention all the pads are 5.5. I haven't read great things about the hex logic pads so I am going to switch over to lake country flat pads to do my work.

My paint is not in bad condition that's why I chose 205. I guess if it doesn't work, I'll move to 105 but I wanted to be the least aggressive I could.

I am also getting a Wolfgang exterior trim 4oz bottle.

I forgot to mention that I also have the pad cleaner spray from CG and and the 5.5 backing plate for the 7424.

One thing about the hex logic pads, is that there are at least two styles of foam in the series. They are also manufactured for CG by Buff & Shine, which is a very reputable company.

In the hex logic series of pads, the yellow, orange, white, and red are made from European prepolymer foams. The green, blue, and grey pads are made from open cell American foam. The green falls under light cutting / heavy polishing, blue under light polishing / finishing, and grey is finishing.

Open cell pads are my personal preference at this point. I love how they naturally compress, with minimal pressure, how they run cooler as a result, and how responsive they are to product choice.

In the lake country ccs series, I find that I prefer the pink, and green for respective compounding / polishing. The Hex Logic, it's green and blue. I favor the Hex Logic because I prefer their "feel". It's nice and "crisp" by comparison.

Also, If I need heavier correction, I switch to microfiber, specifically the Rupes offerings.