PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum to chrome finish?

K.S. Detailing
01-08-2015, 08:58 PM
A customer of mine had a pontoon boat. He wants all the aluminum bottom a chrome finish. This is possible correct?
How? Any input is appreciated.

brondondolon
01-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Wolfgang metalworks or what ever the proper way to spell it is. That or about 30 tubes of wenols and 20 wool pads on a rotory. Its highly possible though. Its just gonna take some time. I wouldnt consider doing it by hand though. By hand would take forever to do.

Sunshyne
01-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Just my 2 cents. Find the cheapest all metal type polish, a Harbor Freight rotary and plenty of wool pads and have at it.

beamerstrumpet
01-08-2015, 11:18 PM
you might even try a heavy cutting compound (3D HD CUT with rotoary and twisted wool) the first few times to cut through the bad stuff then a metal polish . my favorite is S-100 total finish restore. HD also has some metal stuff i have been wanting to try out.

allenk4
01-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Abandon thoughts of approaching it as an automotive part to polish

There are specialized products for this type of "bulk" aluminum polishing

Daniel Kinder
01-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Here's a link I did back in 08 on MOL, this is what I used to do day in and day out. Sorry a couple of the pics aren't to clear but still ok I guess. Didn't show a pic at this time but I used mothers chrome & aluminum paste polish in the small white plastic can.

Polished big rig fuel tank (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?27251-Polished-big-rig-fuel-tank&highlight=)

Marine 31 has maybe the best aluminum polish I have ever used, did over 350 feet of old bare aluminum railing and this made my job a whole lot easier.

blown03
01-09-2015, 06:00 AM
That'd be cool if you could update this thread with your progress , I have some Aluminum parts on my summer car that need polishing and am searching for products now . Mothers hasn't um? Cut it for me .. lol
Good luck with that , I bet it'll look awesome once you're finished .

K.S. Detailing
01-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately I won't be able to start for a while. His boat is sitting above the ice on a lake in michigan.