PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Paint Protect

Pages : [1] 2

Charleston
01-08-2015, 08:02 PM
There is a thread already under the Ask the Expert section of the forum but isn't getting as much coverage.

Has anyone gotten there hands on this stuff? Would love to hear or see some real world reviews

allenk4
01-08-2015, 11:41 PM
You mean this one with 31 posts?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/87968-meguiars-paint-protect.html

You might find more action for this product on the MOL Forum

Charleston
01-09-2015, 07:53 AM
It is posted in a much lower traffic forum was the point of my post.

allenk4
01-09-2015, 02:12 PM
It is posted in a much lower traffic forum was the point of my post.

I may be wrong, but I think the Forum Members who are most active are clicking "New Posts" as they visit

JHL88
01-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Mine just showed up today but way too cold to do anything with it. I plan on sharing my thoughts when I use it.

TuxedoTaurus
01-09-2015, 03:06 PM
I may be wrong, but I think the Forum Members who are most active are clicking "New Posts" as they visit

:iagree:

Loach
01-09-2015, 03:26 PM
I posted a more lengthy review in that thread listed above. I've been playing around with Paint Protect a little more yesterday and today. It does not appear to be a really tight beading product. So I can see a bit more of why Meguiar's would recommend that you don't use this on the windshield. Products that are designed as beading type products are more effective in repelling water for windshield usage. For those guys out there that enjoy the sheeting style behavior, this product works just fine for that. Flooding the panel causes the water to largely go flat, leaving a largely dry surface once gravity has done its work. You definitely notice that a product is on the panel doing its job compared to nothing on the panel. Meguiar's has largely design most of their waxes to behave like this. Gold Class, NXT version 1, even NXT 2.0. Their Ultimate line of waxes largely start out as tight beading products but when I did my test and flooded the panel I could see that shift in water behavior after flooding for a few minutes which led to a sheeting style of repellency...again, great for drying and is a repellency characteristic that appears to be desired by many detailers.

Very silky smooth product to apply. Spreads incredibly easily. Comes off just fine, a little goes a long way. If in fact the durability is as advertised, it's a great little product for the price. But as far as using beading as an indicator of durability, for sheeting style LSPs, individual beads largely become oblong shaped after introduced to water for a short period. I'll try to get a video up soon to show how it reacts to water, at least in my environment.

WAXOFF
01-09-2015, 07:15 PM
I put it in my latest order but got an email it was on backorder.

Loach
01-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Got a video up of the repellency characteristics: Meguiar's Paint Protect - Water test (http://youtu.be/a3bi0EASbiE)

Again, if you guys are experiencing something different, please let me know. :xyxthumbs:

Kengo123
01-09-2015, 11:28 PM
Nice video! That paint protect isn't looking too sexy compared to turtle wax. I wonder if this is the "coating" that Jason rose was referring to in one of Larry's podcasts

The Guz
01-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Nice video. Curious to see the beading by misting to see how the beading looks. The sheeting does look great.

DBAILEY
01-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Definitely looks like it's designed to sheet water instead of using tight beading with high contact angle to cause them to roll off the panel. Probably a good choice for those that struggle with water spots.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Got a video up of the repellency characteristics: Meguiar's Paint Protect - Water test (http://youtu.be/a3bi0EASbiE)

Again, if you guys are experiencing something different, please let me know. :xyxthumbs:
Nice video. Did you remove the oils from M205 before applying paint protect?

Loach
01-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Nice video. Did you remove the oils from M205 before applying paint protect?

For this test I did not perform an IPA wipedown or IPA substitute after M205 or prior to applying Paint Protect. With my other water tests I've performed (NXT 2.0, TW's ICE Paste and Liquid Waxes, Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax), I've had the opportunity to test whether or not IPA or a cleaner product like P21s Paint Cleanser made a difference in the curing process and if the repellency was affected whether or not the IPA or cleanser were applied after removing the mechanical light polish I used beforehand, and I did not notice a difference in the outcome. However, since I'm still playing around with Paint Protect, I'll see if I can track down some IPA and head over to a new section of the car to see if I notice a difference while using it. It's definitely possible that any oils left behind from M205 can affect the curing process, but my results with the other sealants/waxes leave me with the impression that a chemical cleaner prior to application won't affect the results (at least with those products I tested before) and I largely don't normally use IPA prior to putting on my LSP. One problem for me is not having my buffers available to compound and polish like I was able to while I tested those other products to effectively give me that ideal and fresh surface prior to testing this product. I can only wash and use an Autoscrub sponge and then use M205 by hand to prep the car which leaves a smooth surface but it's not 100% ideal for testing. If I see any difference using the IPA prior to application, I'll let you know.

dlc95
01-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Nice vid, Loach! I've seen your others as well. Great stuff.