PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Impact Resistant Glass Coating

TuxedoTaurus
01-08-2015, 07:37 PM
So thanks to a lot of highway travel my windshield is pited and a mess. Thanks to the never ending road work around Chicago and truck throwing debris on I90 in Octeber I have a nice growing crack from the defrosters in these lovely temps.

When I get the windshield replaced (hopefully can wait till spring) I will be putting a coating on it, preferably I would like a coating that has impact resistant qualities. I know nothing will be 100% but hopefully something that helps with all the highway traveling.

I know Opti-Glass advertises this. Anyone with first hand experience your input is appreciated. Are there any others?

Ebg18t
01-08-2015, 08:13 PM
A collegue of mine uses ClearPlex on his 911 windshield. He swears by it. I considered it for my Touareg, but never got around to it.

Here's the link:Porsche 911 Windshield Glass Protector - ClearPlex (http://www.clearplex.com/products/porsche-911-windshield-glass-protector)

RaskyR1
01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Good luck! Any liquid coating that says it helps against pitting or chipping, I'd love to see actual data from something like a gravelometer test, otherwise I call BS and chalk it up to inflated marketing claims.

ClearPlex is probably your best bet as it's more like clear bra PPF and has some thickness to it. While this will help prevent rock chips and preserve the factory glass much like PPF preserves the paint, I would expect it would still pit over time like PPF does.

Just my $.02

FUNX650
01-08-2015, 08:44 PM
•Clear View Vision Armor
•DuPont Spallshield

Bob

builthatch
01-08-2015, 10:35 PM
quiz these guys since they've been selling their coating for a while. they might have some data to back the idea of a coating providing impact resistance.

Diamon-Fusion® International (http://www.dfisolutions.com/surfaces-we-improve/automotive/scientifically-proven-safety-feature/)

i reviewed a clear film installation on a McLaren P1 and the car had ClearPlex on the windshield. looked pretty good but i was not able to check in all lighting conditions to see if it affected the outward view in any way - the biggest pet peeve for me is when the sun is in front of the car and you can see anything on the windshield. if the film allowed texture to be seen through the glass, i'd be unhappy. i'm SO picky about my windows being clear and clean that personally, i use Opti-Glass Pro on all of my windshields. hopefully someday i'll be able to test an installed swatch of ClearPlex as a trial or something.