PDA

View Full Version : Help with cleaning interior

drumr_102
01-08-2015, 07:04 PM
I am working on cleaning the interior of a truck and I'm having problems getting two stains out completely. One stain is some kind of soda that has been there for about 15 years and the other was some kind of coffee. I'm using folex and a steam cleaner. Vacuum, agitate, vacuum, folex, agitate, terry cloth, steam, agitate, terry cloth, vacuum. Both stains look better, but they're not perfect.

The soda stain took a lot of elbow grease and I'm worried I overworked it because it seems the fibers are clumping.

The coffee came off the surface, but it seems very set in because the steam isn't even beginning to lift the stains.

I've looked at the tannin and protein spot removers among other products. I'm wondering if I need to invest in more products (maybe an extractor), if my technique was wrong, or if there was just no hope to have the carpet perfect again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to hear what you guys would normally estimate for an interior similar to this one. I'm doing this for free, but I'm realizing how much time I could actually sink in to this one making it spotless.

Side note: I'm posting this with my phone so I'm not sure how the photos will turn out. I've included before, after, a close up of the soda stain after cleaning with clumping fibers, and what is left of the coffee stain. (In that order I think)

allenk4
01-08-2015, 07:07 PM
You almost made me break my how, not to open thumbnails

One option is to Google Pro' Choice and find a local retailer in your area. They sell pro carpet cleaning product.

Drive over to their location and ask if they can take a look at your stains and give you some options to try

allenk4
01-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Depends on the level of "Clean" the Customer is willing to pay for:

Three hours
Super Clean
Stains removed, shampoo carpets, clean and condition leather, cracks & crannies

$150

Two Hours
Damn clean
As above, but no promise of stain removal

$100

One hour
Clean
Blow it out and light vacuum
Wipe down surfaces

$50

Audios S6
01-08-2015, 07:13 PM
coffee is a tannin stain and an acidic cleaner is usually best for removal. In your case either vinegar (not so good for smell afterward) or citric acid are products that you may already have at home. Soda is also a tannin stain and the same product may work.

drumr_102
01-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the replies! I may try vinegar today and see if it does anything and try out some of the pro's choice stuff when I have the money.

Kengo123
01-09-2015, 01:25 PM
One option is to Google Pro' Choice and find a local retailer in your area. They sell pro carpet cleaning product.

I agree

You'll be able to tackle more stains with professional carpet chemicals. Going this route should be a lot cheaper than the meguiars option.

allenk4
01-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the replies! I may try vinegar today and see if it does anything and try out some of the pro's choice stuff when I have the money.

May be less expensive than you think

Some Pro products can be purchased locally in smaller quantities

drumr_102
01-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Not sure if their website is broken or if there aren't any distributors in Texas. Would you recommend Pro's Choice over other professional cleaning product. Jon Don seems to have similar prices and may be more accessible to me, but I'll order Pro's if it's better stuff.

allenk4
01-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Not sure if their website is broken or if there aren't any distributors in Texas. Would you recommend Pro's Choice over other professional cleaning product. Jon Don seems to have similar prices and may be more accessible to me, but I'll order Pro's if it's better stuff.

I think there are lots of good commercial carpet/upholstry cleaning products

Jon Don has a good reputation

drumr_102
01-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Great! Thanks again allenk4 and the rest of the forum for being so helpful

beamerstrumpet
01-11-2015, 02:51 PM
If you are doing this for free,,, I would call it good, and if they want more,, then tell them they need to pay you,, and factor in the price of the pro chemicals, or at least have them buy the products and finish the job. Ill bet they would be happy at this level. I mean you just saved them 100 bucks (and that's what I would charge). Like AllenK more for stain total removal. BTW where in Tx are you?

drumr_102
01-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I think I am going to call it good. I hate leaving something like that though. I live in San Marcos right now. Just south of Austin

beamerstrumpet
01-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Im up 281 in Mineral Wells.
I really think your buddies need to buy you a good bottle of your favorite stuff, or at least 2 cases of top shelf beer. (at the least!)

drumr_102
01-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Don't worry. I have been paid in beer. Quantity over quality though