PDA

View Full Version : New California member! Need help with choosing pads.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chaotic29
01-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,
I have been trolling this forum for info for the past few years and recently started really ready as much as i could on the forum after i purchased my new (to me) 2011 wrx sedan that is Obsidian black swirl, i mean pearl. It has some serious swirl marks (serious meaning alot, but still reversible), water spots and classic signs of neglect by the previous owner.

I am getting ready to do a full paint correction and detail and I have been stockpiling for the paint correction and have everything ready except the pads for the griot garage polisher that i purchased 2 days ago on amazon for $95. Im the MAN

I will be using the gg6 polisher
wash
claybar
chemical guys v line polishes
wash again
sealant
wax
Large assortment of microfiber towels and some other detailing products i have accumulated.

So here is the real thing i need help with... I have been trying to figure out pads and reading for months, but everytime i feel i get close to figuring out what pads i want i find something different that someone says is better, etc. I just keep confusing myself so any help in the right direction or exactly what i should get for the job is greatly appreciated.

I have been looking at the lake country ccs pads (orange, white, grey). But i keep hearing of other pads, like hydro and flat pads, or smart pads (which i think are just ccs pads?). i dont know what to get.

So are those pads good? is there a different pad that someone would recommend instead?

How many pads do i need for one car?
(i have other cars lined up to correct and detail once i am done with mine. so if i can reuse them multiple times that would be awesome.)
I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible but not sacrificing quality. Quality > quantity.

Im all ears and im open to different things, any recommendations are welcome and thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Zach

The Guz
01-08-2015, 02:11 PM
This is a good thread. Check it out.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

Chaotic29
01-08-2015, 08:07 PM
This is a good thread. Check it out.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

Thanks, I have read that a few times and that answers how many but im still stuck on what kind/kinds of pads to get.

brondondolon
01-08-2015, 09:02 PM
This is all dependent on the condition of the paint but you really cant go wrong with the LC flat pad. The flat pad is my favorite so far. I really recommend getting a 5" backing plate and if you can afford it a 3". I found with the 6" it takes much longer to do the paint correction. The 5" was almost night and day. The 3" will be to get into tighter areas like the scoop and wing as well as other tight areas.

Now heres the thing. Depending on the condition of the paint you could probably get away with using the white pad with a fine compound then move onto the grey pad with a fine polish then pick up a blue pad for your wax. This is subjective and only a test spot will determine how aggressive you need to go.

You mentioned water spots. I strongly suggest picking up some carpro spotless and a foam wax applicator.

You are going to need at the VERY least 2 of each pad and clean them frequently. Look up mike phillips pad cleaning on the fly. 3-4 of each pad would be best. IMO id do orange white and grey with the 5" LC flat pad and a 5" backing plate. Hope this helps.

custmsprty
01-08-2015, 09:07 PM
:iagree: ^^^^
orange, white, grey/black and LC Flat pads. I've tried the others and too much product gets lost in the dimples or hexes in my opinion for what that's worth which ain't much:laughing:

fly07sti
01-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Welcome to AGO. I recently buffed and coated my car with the help of another ago member (281) and I used Menz SF4000 on white hybrid pad. Also used 3" tangerine Hydrotechs for the tighter areas. I have buffed a few Subies over the years and their paint is notoriously soft. I would suggest you get the tangerine LC Hydrotech pads in 5.5". And just to be on the safe side, i'd suggest buying 10-12. One thing thy don't like is too much heat. So I'd change out frequently. Also, where in Cali are you located?

dlc95
01-08-2015, 09:39 PM
From what I've observed / experienced, you can't go wrong with the orange / white / grey ccs pads.

Personally, I've settled on green / blue / red hex logic pads. The green gives me excellent bite, and finishes nice, the blue finishes beautifully, with just the slightest amount of bite. The red is what I use for sealants / and waxes. For more extreme situations, I use Rupes microfiber pads. Not sure of it makes a difference, but I use Meguiar's smat compounds and polishes 99% of the time.

When I order the Menzerna products, I'll also be ordering Lake Country Hydrotechs with them.

haris300
01-08-2015, 09:40 PM
+1 on 5 inch backing plate and LC flat foam pads

Chaotic29
01-09-2015, 01:53 AM
This is all dependent on the condition of the paint but you really cant go wrong with the LC flat pad. The flat pad is my favorite so far. I really recommend getting a 5" backing plate and if you can afford it a 3". I found with the 6" it takes much longer to do the paint correction. The 5" was almost night and day. The 3" will be to get into tighter areas like the scoop and wing as well as other tight areas.

Now heres the thing. Depending on the condition of the paint you could probably get away with using the white pad with a fine compound then move onto the grey pad with a fine polish then pick up a blue pad for your wax. This is subjective and only a test spot will determine how aggressive you need to go.

You mentioned water spots. I strongly suggest picking up some carpro spotless and a foam wax applicator.

You are going to need at the VERY least 2 of each pad and clean them frequently. Look up mike phillips pad cleaning on the fly. 3-4 of each pad would be best. IMO id do orange white and grey with the 5" LC flat pad and a 5" backing plate. Hope this helps.

I have been leaning towards the 5" pads and it has came down to ccs, flat or hex logic. (as also stated below)
The price of the flat 5" pads is also a plus. thanks for the help, i wil try to get some pictures with the wife's camera to show the condition.

:iagree: ^^^^
orange, white, grey/black and LC Flat pads. I've tried the others and too much product gets lost in the dimples or hexes in my opinion for what that's worth which ain't much:laughing:

Thanks for the info. Its good to hear examples along with opinions that help explain why also. I was not sure what the difference really was between a flat and the pads with dimples/ hexes, but if they just hold product longer then i think i am just going to go with the flat pads like you recommend.

Welcome to AGO. I recently buffed and coated my car with the help of another ago member (281) and I used Menz SF4000 on white hybrid pad. Also used 3" tangerine Hydrotechs for the tighter areas. I have buffed a few Subies over the years and their paint is notoriously soft. I would suggest you get the tangerine LC Hydrotech pads in 5.5". And just to be on the safe side, i'd suggest buying 10-12. One thing thy don't like is too much heat. So I'd change out frequently. Also, where in Cali are you located?

From the Central Valley, modesto to be exact. Not sure if my polishes/ compounds are water based, which is why i wasnt sure about the hydrotech pads. Im interested to see how "soft" the Subaru paint actually is in person. I keep reading everywhere about the notorious soft clear on subarus, thanks for the heads up.

From what I've observed / experienced, you can't go wrong with the orange / white / grey ccs pads.

Personally, I've settled on green / blue / red hex logic pads. The green gives me excellent bite, and finishes nice, the blue finishes beautifully, with just the slightest amount of bite. The red is what I use for sealants / and waxes. For more extreme situations, I use Rupes microfiber pads. Not sure of it makes a difference, but I use Meguiar's smat compounds and polishes 99% of the time.

When I order the Menzerna products, I'll also be ordering Lake Country Hydrotechs with them.

Thanks, I will have to look at the hex logic pads, but forsome reason i keep finding myself trying to steer away from CG cause i have a good deal of their products. Maybe im just trying to force myself to try new products/ companies haha

+1 on 5 inch backing plate and LC flat foam pads

Thanks, I believe that is what i am going with at the moment unless something changes my mind.

VISITOR
01-09-2015, 02:32 AM
5.5" B&S flat pads or the new Megs 5" DA foam discs. also, pick up a few 5" Megs DA microfiber pads as well, you may need them later on at some point...

Kengo123
01-09-2015, 06:12 AM
^ I agree

Chaotic29
01-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Looks like i am going to order...

5.5" lc flat pads (orange, white, black)
Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)
I might do 2 kits (12 pads)

5" LC backing plate
lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

Unless there is a different backing plate that is "better" for the griots RA?

Are there any decent pads that can be bought at local stores?
I know Harbor Freight has some cheap pads but that is the only place i know of. I have heard the HF pads are "decent" but mainly just one use throw away pads. Are they worth it?
Of course i will not only be using the hf pads for this correction, just for some extra pads to have around if they are decent.
With subaru paint being so notoriously soft and difficult to work with sometimes, ill stick to the same pads (LC) throughout the correction.

Kengo123
01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
The blue "polishing" pad is nice, but its 6" not 5.5. They are softer and less aggressive than the buff and shine green/lc white

The orange "cutting" pad needs to be cleaned and swapped out often, bc it's pretty firm and is more prone to breaking apart.

I recommend meguiars cutting discs for cutting if your lc oranges don't do the trick. They last a VERY long time

Chaotic29
01-09-2015, 02:15 PM
The blue "polishing" pad is nice, but its 6" not 5.5. They are softer and less aggressive than the buff and shine green/lc white

The orange "cutting" pad needs to be cleaned and swapped out often, bc it's pretty firm and is more prone to breaking apart.

I recommend meguiars cutting discs for cutting if your lc oranges don't do the trick. They last a VERY long time

I believe you are talking about the HF blue and orange pads?
ill keep the meg cutting discs in mind. thanks

cardaddy
01-09-2015, 02:18 PM
:welcome: to AGO Zach! :buffing:

What Subaru's are known for is soft paint. That in mind... the hardest /heaviest cutting pad you'd EVER want to look at would be a LC orange (From the CCS / Flat lineup.)

Both the CCS and Flat pads are good, plenty good enough. The flat a lot find easier to work with, where the CCS are neat because they have a flat edge and can get right up the edges better than the curved edges on other pads.

I've been saying for years that it'd be great to see AG offer a "Detailers Dozen" similar to a "Baker Dozen" where you get 13 pads. First time compounding you'll use/need 6~8 of whatever cutting pad works for your paint. After that you'll really not need a heavy cutting pad again. This means even if you use an orange cutting pad that you'll use a white, or blue above it to polish.

With that in mind I'd still say get more white than anything else. Those, (and the CCS green, and maybe the blue) are the most versatile. With white pads, (and the right compound) you can do excellent cut work.... follow that with clean white pads and a polish (on harder paints) and you can finish down and only use a single color pad.

With your soft Subaru paint you might need orange on a few areas, but I'm thinking if say you tried FG400 and a white pad you'd be more than surprise how well it'll get the job done. Then move to blue with FF4000 and finish it down. (Or Megs UC followed by Megs UP.)

For that "Detailers Dozen" I'd do 4 orange, 4 white, 3 blue, 2 black. Being as you can't do that you could maybe get away with 2 blue, or better yet with that soft paint 3 orange.

And YES that 5" backing plate is a MUST!

FWIW, if you order the GG6 from Advance Auto Parts you can get 30% off if you have the right coupon code, (just checked it). ;) Might even be able to get AG to honor it. :dunno: