PDA

View Full Version : Help With Aerospace 303 on Dash

Pages : [1] 2

KatyTX
01-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Hi all,
After finding this forum, I have been using Aerospace 303 on the dash of my wife's Toyota Sienna. After a few days, the surface appears dry or chalky. Rubbing anything across the surface leaves a mark, and I have noticed that on a sunny day, the A-pillar can cast a shadow leaving a shiny area.

I read to spray it on, wipe off the excess, and rub out the surface to make sure it is dry. To avoid overspray and cleaning a miserably long window, I usually apply it to the cloth first, but otherwise follow the procedure.

Am I doing something wrong? What is your experience with 303 on the dashboard?

Todd

HUMP DIESEL
01-08-2015, 01:11 PM
I have never had an issue with it, but I have only used it a couple of times. I would never spray it directly on, I always spray it on a microfiber applicator and work it in that way, and I always go back and wipe off any excess.

HUMP

Angus
01-08-2015, 01:23 PM
303 is a solid product. How are you first cleaning the dashboard before applying 303? And I agree with Hump -never spray a product directly on your dash. You'll get superior results by applying it to a microfiber or foam applicator first and then to the desired surface.

~TumbleWeed~
01-08-2015, 01:29 PM
I've been using it for about a year now on our vehicles with no issues at all.

I spray it directly onto a yellow foam applicator, work it into an area, and wipe off access with MF towel.

I've noticed that the foam pads spread it out better then MF applicators do as then tend to soak up some of the product and its somewhat difficult to get even application.

Again, this is just my experience...

Kamakaz1961
01-08-2015, 01:34 PM
303 is a solid product. How are you first cleaning the dashboard before applying 303? And I agree with Hump -never spray a product directly on your dash. You'll get superior results by applying it to a microfiber or foam applicator first and then to the desired surface.

:iagree: It is possible that you are applying "too much" product. A little goes a long way with 303. I use it and have had no issues.

lawrenceSA
01-08-2015, 01:43 PM
:iagree: It is possible that you are applying "too much" product. A little goes a long way with 303. I use it and have had no issues.

:iagree:

Blade
01-08-2015, 01:52 PM
I've had no issues with 303. I also have a Sienna, and its dash has been 303-protected since I bought it new in 2008. No fading, no marks, no residue, etc.

I've tried applying it direct or on MF towel first - either way was fine. But I prefer spraying on towel first because I have much more control on where the product actually goes (I.e. no overspray,,etc.). Another thing is, I quickly follow up the buffing with a second dry MF towel, not letting the product dry on its own.

Desertnate
01-08-2015, 02:41 PM
I have never had an issue with 303 doing that either. In fact, I've not seen an interior product do that in a car since Armor All in the mid-90's.

I typically put the product on my MF rag before wiping down the surface, but on large area's like the dash of an SUV or mini-van I direct spray...probably shouldn't though. Either way, I've never had issues with 303.

Johnnyboy
01-08-2015, 02:49 PM
I've seen this happen with 303 before but it was due to the fact that the dash was already beyond help and ashy beforehand. The sun had already eaten through the top layer of the dash and it didn't help that the owner usually wiped down the interior with too strong of diluted degreaser to wipe off dust. We use 303 in all the cars.....no substitute.

ShaunD
01-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Try applying 303AP with a foam applicator and let it dry before wiping any excess off. Sounds like maybe you method isn't leaving enough product behind to actually coat and protect the dash. And, along with it already being asked, what are you cleaning the dash with? What did the dash look like before using 303 on it?

wdmaccord
01-08-2015, 04:45 PM

I'm with Angus here. Might it be possible you didn't thoroughly clean the dash before you used 303? Might have been some old dressings/silicones on there maybe? 303 does have some cleaning ability, but on a first time dash, I do a real good APC cleaning (diluted to interior strength). Follow that with a filtered/distilled water wipedown to remove any leftover APC residue, then apply the 303. Finish with a dry MF buff to remove high spots/excess.

Ebg18t
01-08-2015, 05:47 PM
It sounds to me the dash was not super clean before applying. I have always end used a yellow foam applicator then wiped the excess after a few minutes. Try cleaning it and reapplying

Joz132
01-08-2015, 07:14 PM
It sounds to me the dash was not super clean before applying.

:iagree:

custmsprty
01-08-2015, 09:17 PM
What everybody else said, solid product, never had any issues. And I have a small fridge on the pool lanai, it has a plastic top, I've used 303 on it for a few years and it's helped preserve it big time.

KatyTX
01-09-2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. The vehicle is garaged and the dash is great condition. As I mentioned, I quickly wiped off the excess and dried with a clean cloth, so I don't think I used too much.

Might it be possible you didn't thoroughly clean the dash before you used 303? Might have been some old dressings/silicones on there maybe? 303 does have some cleaning ability, but on a first time dash, I do a real good APC cleaning (diluted to interior strength).

I didn't clean the dash with anything in particular before applying 303. Long ago I may have used that stuff in the green bottle (Not Armor-All, but similar.), to wipe it down, but generally I just use a cloth dampened with water.

What APC do you recommend? Preferably cheap and cheerful.