PDA

View Full Version : Black piano plastic cleaning and protection

spielwurfel
01-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Hello all

I just bought a brand new Golf 7 which has a (gorgeous) interior with soft touch material and a large black piano dash.

My last car had a full hard plastic interior in which I cleaned with a humid microfiber towel and then covered it with Meguiars Supreme Shine Protectant.

Now I don't want a gloss finish to the soft touch plastic so I'm going with the Natural Shine Protectant. Can/Should I use this on the black piano finish?

What can I use as a electrostatic protectant to the interior?

Thanks all!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats on the new car! :pics:

What do you mean by soft touch material?

For the gloss black piano finished trim, a sealant will suffice.

HUMP DIESEL
01-08-2015, 08:06 AM
1Z Einzett Cockpitt premium. If needing to clean, 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner.

HUMP

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-08-2015, 08:14 AM
I just looked at the gallery page on the VW website and saw some of the interior.

Since the piano black trim is more or less highly polished plastic, a paint formulated Quick Detailer will suffice.

spielwurfel
01-08-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks HUMP, the 1Z option seems interesting, though I'm not a fan of products with fragances. But I'll try it.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips Mike. I'll share some photos when it's nice and clean =)
About the soft touch material, it's a soft plastic, seems a little bit with a rubberized material, but it's still plastic.

Thanks all!

allenk4
01-08-2015, 02:08 PM
For regular dusting of soft interior plastics, I keep a Swiffer Duster cloth in my console

Dust lightly and you can avoid scratching this very delicate material

Before

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141116_14_53_20_Pro.jpg

After

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141116_15_32_57_Pro.jpg

expdetailing
01-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Pinnacle Black Label makes a nice leather, rubber, and vinyl sealant spray.
A meduimsized bottlewill last averylong time.
It applies evenly, and driesevenly. If onecoat is used,it dries mostlycmatte.

Ebg18t
01-08-2015, 08:08 PM
On my 14 VW Touareg I use the Ultima Interior Trim Guard plus On the soft touch surfaces & the leather. On the piano trim I just wipe with a QD. I use the IUDJ as my QD. Black Fire also makes a similar product.

spielwurfel
01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be looking for all these products to see what fits to me!

builthatch
01-09-2015, 11:59 AM
welp, i use plain old waterless wash Opti-Clean on a MF for both of those surfaces and it works wonderfully. a lot of those gloss black interior surfaces are VERY sensitive. my wife's Audi is loaded with it...and on horizontal surfaces to boot...which SUCKS! my car has it too. dusting can instill microscratches. even touching them with those detailing vacuum brush attachments can scratch them. in my experiences, it's very important to buffer the dust and debris with something when wiping. i use Opti-Clean and a very soft MF to clean them (Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile is what i use nowadays). also, i find that after a while, i assume the Opti-Clean deposits some sort of mild protection because the dust will lift much easier just by moving a vacuum nozzle over it. i can't prove that though.

as far as consumer coatings that might work for the hard piano trim, Opti-Lens might work to offer an additional layer of protection, i don't see why not. Dr. G would be able to say one way or the other.

HUMP DIESEL
01-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Thanks HUMP, the 1Z option seems interesting, though I'm not a fan of products with fragances. But I'll try it.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips Mike. I'll share some photos when it's nice and clean =)
About the soft touch material, it's a soft plastic, seems a little bit with a rubberized material, but it's still plastic.

Thanks all!

The scent is very mild and will dissipate after a little while.

HUMP