PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hands warm this winter while detailing

Pages : [1] 2

g35_coupe
01-07-2015, 09:28 PM
What are you guys sporting when it comes to detailing outside when it's bloody cold? I'm currently doubling up nitrile gloves (1 thick/1 thin) but doesn't help much when wetsanding a lot. I have thin running gloves but they're not waterproof and still too big to fit a a nitrile glove over them. Body and head is no problem as compression shirt/pants and beanie can keep the wind and cold out for the most part. Tomorrow's high is about 34 degrees and 20+ mph gusts and customer had no garage so it's going to be brutal to say the least. Suggestions?

Sicoupe
01-07-2015, 09:59 PM
What are you guys sporting when it comes to detailing outside when it's bloody cold? I'm currently doubling up nitrile gloves (1 thick/1 thin) but doesn't help much when wetsanding a lot. I have thin running gloves but they're not waterproof and still too big to fit a a nitrile glove over them. Body and head is no problem as compression shirt/pants and beanie can keep the wind and cold out for the most part. Tomorrow's high is about 34 degrees and 20+ mph gusts and customer had no garage so it's going to be brutal to say the least. Suggestions?its gonna be 8 degrees in the morning! When it's that cold I don't think anything will help. By the way I'm in mustang:). Kyle

Bates Detailing
01-07-2015, 10:06 PM
We've been out there pushing it everyday in this nastiness. Gloves over gloves and know when its time to get in the mobile unit and warm up. Push through it and know in a month or two it'll get better! Also putting gloves and hat on dash with defrost on from job to job is nice..... warms and dries them.

expdetailing
01-07-2015, 10:19 PM
1: Wear multiple layers of nitrile gloves and dunk them under warm water in a bucket, then dry immediately.
2: Wear nitrile gloves below fingerless mittens. Mittens are much warmer than gloves.
3: Wear thin gloves below a seat of heavy duty nitrile gloves that can be found at home depot.

spiralout462
01-07-2015, 10:21 PM
SealSkinz gloves come recommended from the Great White North. I have not tried them yet. This time of year I use warm water when possible. I also rely on a foam cannon/pressure wash touchless, followed by a waterless. I do however have the luxury of picking my days since I am not a professional. Tomorrows high here is 23 F with gusts to 40mph.

g35_coupe
01-07-2015, 10:30 PM
its gonna be 8 degrees in the morning! When it's that cold I don't think anything will help. By the way I'm in mustang:). Kyle

Hey, nice to see another local in here! Yeah the wind chill over the last 4-5 days is tough even if I have to the mailbox.

expdetailing--I just remembered I have a pair of longer nitrile gloves from Home Depot at home. I may try to triple up some hand protection tomorrow. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Znig22
01-07-2015, 10:37 PM
I have been searching for the right glove for 3 years and Nitrile gloves are the only thing I have found and they suck! I go straight from washing, drying, working to the generator or pressure washer exhaust. That hot air warms your hands instantly.

spiralout462
01-07-2015, 11:05 PM
I also have employed a 50,000 BTU Kerosene forced air heater this winter. It has made washing much more tolerable!

Mantilgh
01-07-2015, 11:17 PM
How about neoprene gloves. Would they work? It's diving suit material and saw some ice fishing gloves made of it to while looking.

ski2
01-07-2015, 11:31 PM
How about neoprene gloves. Would they work? It's diving suit material and saw some ice fishing gloves made of it to while looking.

Been using Neoprene gloves for years in the winter for washing and drying--nice thing is they keep you hands warm, but allow you to work well as they are form fitting.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-wetsuit-work-gloves-20604.aspx?p_redirect=1&p_keyword=neoprene gloves&p_origin=mens-home

HateSwirls
01-08-2015, 07:13 AM
When it's cold, like today, 18 degrees I first pressure wash the car well, do the wheels then bring the car inside the shop for a WW.
I've washed a couple of them inside the shop, full wash.
Sure makes it nice in the warm building.
Last week I washed a van, my hands were so cold, to a point I ran back inside.
Luckily here in Louisiana we only have two months of the cold, but t seems so far away , normally by March it's warmer.
Try and stay warm, me, can't work with gloves:(

215Detailing
01-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Popular tool store (HF) TYPE IN SEARCH --PVC Long Cuff Oil Resistant Gloves
Hope this helps and not in violation of forum rules also I use same gloves (Blue Long Cuff)

215Detailing
01-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Put on some comfortable gloves and then put these on top about 13 degrees out today in philadelphia used today to rinseless wash wifes suv

215Detailing
01-08-2015, 03:34 PM
I also have employed a 50,000 BTU Kerosene forced air heater this winter. It has made washing much more tolerable!

are you in shop or mobile

jsgntulok
01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Hey, nice to see another local in here! Yeah the wind chill over the last 4-5 days is tough even if I have to the mailbox.

expdetailing--I just remembered I have a pair of longer nitrile gloves from Home Depot at home. I may try to triple up some hand protection tomorrow. Thanks for jogging my memory!
I live in Tulsa so the temp plus wind chill hasn't been exactly pleasant here. Fortunately, my unheated garage has terrific insulation so never drops below 60 degrees. I did an ONR rinsless wash on both cars yesterday.