PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Wash

Pages : [1] 2

Carlover97
01-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Before I perform a 2 bucket wash, I would like to do a pre-wash/soak, just to be extra safe. What soap, in a foam gun, would work best for the pre-wash?

blown03
01-08-2015, 07:13 AM
I don't own a Foam gun setup , I typically go to a coin op and high pressure blow it off then back home . I use UWWP as rinseless and use UWWP as a pre-soak on each panel prior to RW each panel . Not sure if this helps or not. .. Good luck

07gtcs
01-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Why? If you have good soap and use the right technique, you'll be fine.

wdmaccord
01-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Assuming you are using a good car wash shampoo, just use the same soap you use in your 2BM wash. When my car is really dirty, I'll presoak with DG901 (usually 3 oz. DG901 + 9 oz. water in the dispenser and use the middle setting).

dad07
01-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Assuming you are using a good car wash shampoo, just use the same soap you use in your 2BM wash. When my car is really dirty, I'll presoak with DG901 (usually 3 oz. DG901 + 9 oz. water in the dispenser and use the middle setting).

:iagree:DG 901 in the foam cannon and the buckets........I use this the most.

In fact I buy it by the 5 gallon bucket I like so much.

jimbob
01-08-2015, 06:15 PM
I use optimum car wash. No complaints.

Carlover97
01-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! I use DG901, but I was thinking that something like CG Honeydew, or DP Xtreme Foam would work better for a pre-soak. Will DG901 work just as well?

Maybe I'm overdoing it. But I'd like to do it to be safe.
A film develops on the car just within an hour after washing, because it sits outside all day.
I wash it every week, and when I do, I rinse the entire car, cover one panel with DG901 in the gun, then use the 2BM, rinse, then on to the next panel.
Would I be wasting my time with a pre-soak? If it would reduce the chance of even one scratch, I'd be willing to do it :)

FUNX650
01-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Before I perform a 2 bucket wash, I would like to do a pre-wash/soak, just to be extra safe. What soap, in a foam gun, would work best for the pre-wash?
I say:
Forget about using this marketing ploy...the foam gun...
as a pre-wash: It doesn't lift, encapsulate, and then float,
or wash away, the accumulated dirt/soils from a vehicle without employment of the appropriate "agitation processes".

IMHO:
The best pre-wash before a 2-bucket wash---a wash that includes the above mentioned "agitation processes"---is to thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a heavy water-stream from a free flowing water source; or a HP washer.

Bob

jmsc
01-08-2015, 08:43 PM
I do what blown03 does. Although I used to own a foam gun many years ago, I ditched it (it was basically useless). I now PW for $2/wash prior to a HW or RW or WW. I also use coatings now, not waxes or sealants. Power washing usually is all I need for cleanups if a coating is on. If I need a HW then its gtechniq UV wash, if I need a RW then its D114, if I need a WW I use Ultima+.

allenk4
01-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Why? If you have good soap and use the right technique, you'll be fine.

Do you believe there is any benefit to foaming or pre-soaking and then rinsing before a 2BM?

allenk4
01-08-2015, 11:49 PM
I say:
Forget about using this marketing ploy...the foam gun...
as a pre-wash: It doesn't lift, encapsulate, and then float,
or wash away, the accumulated dirt/soils from a vehicle without employment of the appropriate "agitation processes".

IMHO:
The best pre-wash before a 2-bucket wash---a wash that includes the above mentioned "agitation processes"---is to thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a heavy water-stream from a free flowing water source; or a HP washer.

Bob

Do you believe the dwell time of the car wash soap on the surface helps breakdown the oily road film that seems to hold the dirt to the paint?

When I soak a dirty dish in the sink; it always seems easier to get clean with less scrubbing

Why wouldn't the same principles apply when soaking a vehicle?

conman1395
01-09-2015, 01:14 AM
Do you believe the dwell time of the car wash soap on the surface helps breakdown the oily road film that seems to hold the dirt to the paint?

When I soak a dirty dish in the sink; it always seems easier to get clean with less scrubbing

I don't think any soaps contain strong enough degreasers. Any at all. However mixing in a stronger degreaser (I've seen Zep mixed in with DG 901) would probably have an effect. Or even degreaser alone (I've used P21S TAW in the past) was effective for me. Comparing Dawn on dishes isn't the same as a sealant on paint. They are "attached" to their respective surfaces differently. I don't even do anything different when washing and stripping sealants other than adding a clay process or paint cleaner. I always use DG 901 except for a fee circumstances.

FUNX650
01-09-2015, 02:47 AM
No.

IMO...To test your theory:
You need to soak a dirty dish in the sink,
using just the car foam product.

Then again:
All grease/oils are not the same.

Bob

lawrenceSA
01-09-2015, 03:40 AM
I know where are not allowed to post links to other forums, but if you happen to Google "Snow Foam - Urban Legend or Gift from the Gods?" there is a really well documented review of the effectiveness of snow foaming on a UK based detailing forum.

I have personally tested HP rinsing only vs snow foam then HP rinsing and the snow foam definitely helps remove more dirt prior to your contact wash.

In fact I did such as test, albeit on a small scale, during this detail. This was not on a snow foam but rather on a citrus pre-wash, however the concept is the same.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/86973-true-red-mazda-3-mps-detailed-lawrence.html

Sure, not all snow foams are created equally, but there is, IMO, definitely benefit if you are trying to remove as much dirt from the paint prior to a contact wash as possible.

blown03
01-09-2015, 05:26 AM
We have crazy hard water here in Delaware and I've never owned a Foam Gun nor used any Foam products so I cant comment on them at all .
But I do know Black is unforgiving , if I don't have time to blow it off I don't wash . IMHO good technique as well as good products come into play when the surface is clean of heavy or fine debris on the surface .

At least this is what 6 Black vehicles have taught me anyway . Ever since I started High Pressure Blow offs prior to washing no matter what , both my Black vehicles stay defect free for so much longer , and its so ,so much easier to keep them this way. These are just my opinions and I'm not a pro by any means . Just a lil OCD so I am told :)