PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss Ceramic Coating

jimjc
01-07-2015, 08:54 AM
I have many decades into waxing and polishing my cars...After reading about coatings I'm looking to apply one...

I don't know the level of experience that it takes to apply Duragloss "successfully" Can a person with some experience with waxing & polishing do it properly...

I have a Lincoln MKS with a black metallic paint....Obviously black is the toughest to do..

Can anyone with experience run me through the process? or lead me to where I can find the answers to applying the coating "successfully"...JC

blkSRT
01-07-2015, 09:12 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/78587-official-duragloss-enviroshild-review-thread-everyone.html

Setec Astronomy
01-07-2015, 09:14 AM
I found this coating to be a little finicky and more difficult to apply than I thought it would be.

The tricky part with any product that applies like this, which includes the WOWA sealants, the spray coatings, and the...er...non-spray coatings, is being able to apply enough without applying too much, and being able to correct over-application in the proper time frame. Temperature and humidity play into this.

Honestly, the best way to learn is to use a WOWA sealant (Blackfire Crystal Seal, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal, Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus) for a while.

But basically, after you have prepped (at a minimum the Squeaky Clean that comes with the DG coating), you want to work the coating onto the paint evenly and thinly in a small section at a time. You should see it flash (mostly evaporate) into a thin film that will have a rainbow appearance, then disappear slowly. If it's not disappearing in a minute or so, you have what is known as a "high-spot" that you need to knock down with your applicator or a separate towel. Otherwise it will harden into a difficult-to-remove spot.

In my couple of times using the DG coating, I found the window between identifying the high spot and being able to remove it easily to be frustratingly small, but perhaps it was the weather or my expectations were not what they should have been.