PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life Question

11Silverado
01-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Hey guys. The short of it is, what is typically the shelf on compounds/polishes? I recently bought menzerna polishes and was going to attempt my first paint correction. The car I'm working on is 6 years old and has never been detailed so the prep took longer than I would have liked. Well I got sick and was overwhelmed with the time it was going to take to do a 2 step correction so I decided just to protect it for now. Classes start next week and I still need to detail my truck so I don't really have the time and I'm hoping to attempt the paint correction when the semester is over and I feel up to it. Thank you!

KMdef9
01-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Give them a good shake and you'll be fine. I'm assuming they're being stored at room temperature?

Zubair
01-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I have seen 5 year old Power Lock and Menz polishes working beautifully, as above,room temperature and a good shake is all thats needed.

11Silverado
01-05-2015, 12:45 PM
They're not quite at room temperature, but I do make sure to shake up my products often. It is always above freezing and never too hot in the summer months. Thanks for the replies.

KMdef9
01-05-2015, 12:49 PM
They're not quite at room temperature, but I do make sure to shake up my products often. It is always above freezing and never too hot in the summer months. Thanks for the replies.

Above freezing is good, but I'd try to keep them inside. If you aren't using them for a while, put them in plastic bin and store them in the house somewhere.

Blade
01-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I used my 5.5 year old Menz twins last summer. Stored in garage for 5 winters but never frozen. Still cut and polished beautifully. You should be okay!

custmsprty
01-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Store them inside for sure. You're in Ohio? It never freezes in Ohio?:wow:

FUNX650
01-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Store them inside for sure. You're in Ohio? It never freezes in Ohio?:wow:
Where I live at in Ohio...
It's hard for me to tell whenever it's freezing weather outside, or not, what with me getting the cold shoulder
all the time.

Bob

Crispy
02-27-2015, 06:10 PM
I keep mine inside and during the winter here in Southern Ontario it still is cold enough to cause some of my polishes to separate or "gell up". Put my stuff in smaller 8oz. bottles and run hot water in a bowl and put the bottles in up to the highest level possible. Remove and shake and repeat until product returns to original viscosity. Sometimes in extreme cold (-35C) have to couple times while working in garage. Works with Optimum Products and Collinite wax.

tuscarora dave
02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
I've got a few bottles of PO85RD from 4 years ago that have been in summer heat and the freeze of winter. They're still good. All my Meguiar's products endured the same with no problems. I have some Poorboys and Optimum stuff that didn't make it past 2 years in climate controlled in house storage.

I have a 5 year old partial quart of Menzerna Power Gloss that keeps getting thicker and thicker each year. Currently it's the consistency of toothpaste.