PDA

View Full Version : ??? How to Keep Doors From Freezing Shut ???

expdetailing
01-05-2015, 09:18 AM
How do you guys up North keep your doors from freezing shut, over the long term, without corrding your seals and damaging your paint?

Other sites say to use items such as, silicone, WD40, clear shoe polish etc., but other sites say this will damage weather-stripping in the long term.

Anyone have any solid advice that won't damage the seals over time?
Thank you!

wdmaccord
01-05-2015, 09:20 AM
I don't have any problem with this. What is causing your doors to freeze shut? After a wash, wipe down the seals and dry them as well as the jambs.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Use this to coat all rubber seals around the door and elsewhere.

Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html)

Desertnate
01-05-2015, 09:33 AM
I don't use any special product, just the same ones I use to maintain the seals.

I've had good success with 303 Aerospace and even Vasaline (don't laugh...it works). Years ago, I owned a BMW and the dealership would apply Einszett's Gummi Pflege every time I took the car in for service. That product worked great as well.

It was 14F here this morning. No freezing issues at all heading in to work.

jmsc
01-05-2015, 09:38 AM
I have used Rubber Care Silicone Free products in the past like Zymol, Wurth, 1Z, SwissVax to prevent sticking of the seals. It may help in freezing temps.

TroyScherer
01-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Being in Ohio just like the OP I can say 1Z Gummi Pflege or 303 have been my products of choice. Using Vaseline just sounds messy IMO.

Its not the cold its the freezing rain and such. and most of the time I find its not my seals that have frozen shut but a layer of ice covering and filling the door gap. When that happens something like 1Z Einszett De-Icer Spray helps a lot. (if you can get to it.) I would keep one in the car, one @ work, one @ home.

KMdef9
01-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Use this to coat all rubber seals around the door and elsewhere.

Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html)

That's what I use and haven't found anything like it.

As far as keeping them from freezing, you need to keep the door-to-seal area dry. Treating the seals might help alittle, but won't stop when your temp goes from 35 to 6, like it did yesterday/last night.

FUNX650
01-05-2015, 10:30 AM
First:
Clean and thoroughly dry the door seals, frame, jambs, etc.

Next:
Apply some dielectric grease or Sil-Glyde® Grease to the seals.

Note:
Both of the above products are available at auto parts stores,
such as: NAPA, PepBoys, AutoZone

Remember...it's:
"grease for peace!" ~Jon "Bowzer" Bauman

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/road_runner_1964/whiteflag2.gif

Go Buckeyes!!

Bob

expdetailing
01-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys. I'll give an update and answer a question asked.

My two sliding doors on my 2012 Caravan were both frozen this morning and wouldn't open. Not even an inch. The jambs and seals are clean, and were dry. I poured about 12 oz. of hot water along the top of the door along its length where it meets the roof, and they opened immediately. The kids got in, I drove them to school, and the doors wouldn't open again.
Luckily, I had a cup of coffee with me, and used it to open one of the doors.
After returning home, I sprayed all the rubber seals with Blackfire interior dressing, and hit all key points I could see with some aerosole silicone.
We'll see how long this holds.

KMdef9
01-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys. I'll give an update and answer a question asked.

My two sliding doors on my 2012 Caravan were both frozen this morning and wouldn't open. Not even an inch. The jambs and seals are clean, and were dry. I poured about 12 oz. of hot water along the top of the door along its length where it meets the roof, and they opened immediately. The kids got in, I drove them to school, and the doors wouldn't open again.
Luckily, I had a cup of coffee with me, and used it to open one of the doors.
After returning home, I sprayed all the rubber seals with Blackfire interior dressing, and hit all key points I could see with some aerosole silicone.
We'll see how long this holds.

The water freezing again is what caused it. You were understandably in a rush to get the kids off and didn't have time to dry it again. Hopefully after driving the vehicle for alittle while, it warmed up the newly frozen coffee.

parttimer
01-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Well, I too am in Ohio, short of parking in a garage you were not getting away without something freezing after yesterdays mess. I drove for over an hour on my way in, my windows were still frozen shut.

Mantilgh
01-05-2015, 09:29 PM
First:
Clean and thoroughly dry the door seals, frame, jambs, etc.

Next:
Apply some dielectric grease or Sil-GlydeŽ Grease to the seals.

Note:
Both of the above products are available at auto parts stores,
such as: NAPA, PepBoys, AutoZone

Remember...it's:
"grease for peace!" ~Jon "Bowzer" Bauman

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/road_runner_1964/whiteflag2.gif

Go Buckeyes!!

Bob

Good information Bob.

I noticed from the MSDS that you posted in the "einszett Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick" thread that the main ingredient is the same as dielectric grease.

Will try this out.

Crispy
04-22-2016, 06:59 PM
I put Permanon on and it seemed to work well. I think Hydro2 is same idea ( I have a stash of Permanon).

Don M
04-23-2016, 12:12 AM
My wife's 03 Explorer is TERRIBLE for having the door & windows freeze up, I am so glad that warmer weather is almost here.