PDA

View Full Version : Good stuff.bad stuff.hype stuff

RWalleyTX
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM
First I want to say this is a wonderful site with tons of great information. I was pondering the idea of picking up a rupes polisher to find out from many other sites and YouTube reviews how it does not perform any better than a harbor freight $60 da polisher. Many polishes compounds etc made almost identical from each other but vary so much in price. Basically Same stuff different label. But 5 steps when u only need 2 or 3.. I'm wondering does anyone else see what I'm seeing? Again I'm not putting any names down im just letting everyone know what reviews I have been reading and videos I have seen as well. This is what makes buying stuff so hard lol. I'm all about buying good quality and good stuff the first time because eventually you should have saved your money to buy the better one.

dsg03gt
01-03-2015, 03:56 PM
My Rupes performs 10x better than my PC. And with the polishes... With so many out there I'm sure some are pretty close to each other. Just try some and stick to what you like.

Bill1234
01-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Got to say chemical guys v7 was not as great as it seems. It smells good and does okay and is a bit expensive. I was also not impressed with chemical guys line of stuff. Too many car wash soaps and things. All you need is one strip wash, one wrap wash, one maintenance wash and maybe one waterless. I just dont get things sometimes

SonOfOC
01-03-2015, 08:49 PM
I was pondering the idea of picking up a rupes polisher to find out from many other sites and YouTube reviews how it does not perform any better than a harbor freight $60 da polisher. Many polishes compounds etc made almost identical from each other but vary so much in price. Basically Same stuff different label. But 5 steps when u only need 2 or 3.. I'm wondering does anyone else see what I'm seeing? Again I'm not putting any names down im just letting everyone know what reviews I have been reading and videos I have seen as well. This is what makes buying stuff so hard lol. I'm all about buying good quality and good stuff the first time because eventually you should have saved your money to buy the better one.

I don't know what reviews or Youtube videos you've been reading and watching, but I'm sure for "those" ones you've identified there are 1,000 reviews and videos that say otherwise.

Almost all the reviews and videos regarding "Rupes" products range from good to outstanding—that is the consensus. I'm quite certain that if a Harbor Freight DA was equal to a Rupes in performance, then many professional detailers would be using it.

Lastly, can you let us know where you're reading about "5 steps", cause most of the forums review 1-step, 2-step, and sometimes 3-step paint polishing—unless you're talking about something completely different.

FUNX650
01-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Maybe the OP was talking about this "5-Stepper": :dunno:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image848.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/89498)

Bob

cardaddy
01-03-2015, 10:23 PM
First I want to say this is a wonderful site with tons of great information. I was pondering the idea of picking up a rupes polisher to find out from many other sites and YouTube reviews how it does not perform any better than a harbor freight $60 da polisher. Many polishes compounds etc made almost identical from each other but vary so much in price. Basically Same stuff different label. But 5 steps when u only need 2 or 3.. I'm wondering does anyone else see what I'm seeing? Again I'm not putting any names down im just letting everyone know what reviews I have been reading and videos I have seen as well. This is what makes buying stuff so hard lol. I'm all about buying good quality and good stuff the first time because eventually you should have saved your money to buy the better one.

There has yet to be a Rupes that doesn't perform BETTER than a Harbor Freight buffer!
Yes, there are situations where a 21 or 15 will stop rotating due to the increased throw, where the 12 will not.... but even at a 12mm throw the Rupes Duetto has 50% more throw than any other DA out there.

Also, Rupes compounds and polishes are designed as a "system", with color coordinated products & pads. If you follow that system you'll use less product, and get great results.

That however is not to say that you HAVE to use their products with their pads. I certainly reach for other manufacturers compounds and polishes long before I reach for Rupes, (even when working with a Rupes DA) but I do have Rupes compounds and polishes.

Still don't know about the 5-step thing. :dunno:

You can buff a vehicle with as little as 1-step. Just use an AIO product, with a pad that provides the right cut for the paint you are working with, and call it a day.

Want that product to finish down a bit better? Then switch to a finer polishing, or even a finishing pad and work it down from there.

YES..... you CAN do a multi-step compound, polish, fine polish/jeweling process but most don't. Generally you can do anything out there with 2-steps and be done.

Product pricing though I agree with you on. It seems it's all over the ball park.
That said; unless you are looking at a boutique product, your better products are worth what you pay for them. Meguiar's makes great products in all price points, yet some would never pay what M101 runs, although it's worth every dime. Menzerna is more expensive overall, different type of product altogether (DAT vs SMAT) but it's cheaper than Wolfgang (which is made by Menzerna).

The only real thing that makes any sense is this. (Paraphrased from Mike Phillips btw.)
Find what you like, and use it. Use it a lot, and use it often. :)

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
01-04-2015, 05:53 AM
It depends on how what you are going to be using the machine for and how often. If you are running a business and polishing cars everywhere the habor freight will not be in your shop, but if you polish your car once or twice a year then the HF DA is a great tool, at a great value.

It all depends on your situation, but don't think the cheap HF DA compares to the Rupes, Flex, Griots...because the day in and day out quality is not matched. You simply can't buy high quality parts and high quality engineering at $60.

If you want a great machine I suggest the griots polisher, it has a lot of power and with microfiber cutting pads you'll be able to do everything you want to do as a DIY'er. I think it's $140 and has a lifetime warranty. I own one in addition to several rupes and flex products.

Zubair
01-04-2015, 07:07 AM
CG stuff if you read the over the top marketing and base your purchase on it will inevitably result in disapointment. Their claims are far fetched and way off mark.

Zubair
01-04-2015, 07:09 AM
Got to say chemical guys v7 was not as great as it seems. It smells good and does okay and is a bit expensive. I was also not impressed with chemical guys line of stuff. Too many car wash soaps and things. All you need is one strip wash, one wrap wash, one maintenance wash and maybe one waterless. I just dont get things sometimes

Correct, too much overlapping within their own product range and every lsp is wettest,glossiest of theirs-contradict much.

FUNX650
01-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Many polishes compounds etc made almost identical from each other but vary so much in price. Basically Same stuff different label. But 5 steps when u only need 2 or 3.. I'm wondering does anyone else see what I'm seeing?

This is what makes buying stuff so hard lol. I'm all about buying good quality and good stuff the first time because eventually you should have saved your money to buy the better one.
I don't know if I'm seeing exactly what you're seeing...

But I don’t obsess over having the "latest" versions of products. Yes: There was a time that the previous versions were the latest.

Bob

tpr1634
01-04-2015, 11:09 AM
CG stuff if you read the over the top marketing and base your purchase on it will inevitably result in disapointment. Their claims are far fetched and way off mark.

Correct, they as well as "others" pump to much hype into their marketing. Just to many overlapping products and relabeling, I get the concept of selling your products but honesty is the best policy if what your selling is quaility and works. When I watch their you tube vids I want to gag, and I do use and like some of their stuff. A carnival atmosphere however turns me off.