PDA

View Full Version : coating- 2weeks later, waxing

Pages : [1] 2

Vincentz
01-02-2015, 02:18 PM
hi and a happy new year ! :)

2 week ago, i gave my car sonax nano lack protect, and know i want to give it a layer of fuzion. but here is my question, would it be enough to just wash it and then give it fuzion, or should i give it ipa ? or would that remove my coating ? :)

Guessless
01-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I'd just wash/dry then the wax, No IPA.

FUNX650
01-02-2015, 03:24 PM
I'll assume that you do know what happens to the characteristics that are associated with Coatings when they become covered-up with a different category of LSP-products such as Waxes---those oily, sticky, dust-attracting Waxes. :D

Bob

Vincentz
01-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I'll assume that you do know what happens to the characteristics that are associated with Coatings when they become covered-up with a different category of LSP-products such as Waxes---those oily, sticky, dust-attracting Waxes. :D

Bob

enlighten me please ! :) and do I feel a little negativity regarding your attitude to waxes ;) :p

FUNX650
01-02-2015, 03:56 PM
enlighten me please ! :) and do I feel a little negativity regarding your attitude to waxes ;) :p
In the first place:
I would not cover-up the reasons for having a vehicle Coated.

Secondly:
No No...I like Waxes...Just not on top of Coatings.

Bob

Vincentz
01-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm not really following you. might be my bad english ;)

Vincentz
01-02-2015, 04:30 PM
I'd just wash/dry then the wax, No IPA.

great. thanks :)

Guessless
01-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Bob

When you top up a product with another, you pretty much loose the characteristics of the bottom product (in this case your coating) and gain those of the top one (in this case your wax).
So Why put a coating on, if you want to top it up with Wax, instead of just waxing?

Besides, I'd be somewhat concerned with the ingredients within the top layer product dissolving or "eating into" the bottom one.
I'm not a chemist and couldn't tell you if this happens or not, for that you Need PipUk's advice.

And as to your last post, you're Welcome.:props:

Edit:
there is another thread going on right now which may interest you,
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/87957-sealant-wax-longevity.html

Vincentz
01-02-2015, 04:49 PM
When you top up a product with another, you pretty much loose the characteristics of the bottom product (in this case your coating) and gain those of the top one (in this case your wax).
So Why put a coating on, if you want to top it up with Wax, instead of just waxing?

Besides, I'd be somewhat concerned with the ingredients within the top layer product dissolving or "eating into" the bottom one.
I'm not a chemist and couldn't tell you if this happens or not, for that you Need PipUk's advice.

And as to your last post, you're Welcome.:props:

you make a good point. the sonax nano didn't really do much to the look. thats why i was gonna top it with a wax. i do however, have some sonax polymer netshield. that sealant is made to top the nano. it just dosnt give that "smooth" fill, that a wax gives. i might be a little crazy, but i love when a paint job i smooooth ! ;)

firecorgi
01-02-2015, 05:00 PM
you make a good point. the sonax nano didn't really do much to the look. thats why i was gonna top it with a wax. i do however, have some sonax polymer netshield. that sealant is made to top the nano. it just dosnt give that "smooth" fill, that a wax gives. i might be a little crazy, but i love when a paint job i smooooth ! ;)

Just curious, did you decon and polish the paint prior to applying the coating? The look may have more to do with correcting/polishing than the coating...maybe.
Sonax makes great products but I'm not familiar with the product you applied.

jimbob
01-02-2015, 05:00 PM
As someone who is relatively new to detailing and with a plethora of products still itching to try out, part of me regrets putting opti gloss coat on my car.

Don't get me wrong it works well. Prob just a little too well. Kind of takes away the fun of detailing. So many sealants and waxes and lsp's I want to try but knowing the coating won't let the products bond :(

firecorgi
01-02-2015, 05:07 PM
As someone who is relatively new to detailing and with a plethora of products still itching to try out, part of me regrets putting opti gloss coat on my car.

Don't get me wrong it works well. Prob just a little too well. Kind of takes away the fun of detailing. So many sealants and waxes and lsp's I want to try but knowing the coating won't let the products bond :(

If you applied Gloss Coat, from Optimum, it states you can apply a NON-ABRASIVE wax or sealant. Have a read here...

Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-gloss-coat-paint-coating.html)

Guessless
01-02-2015, 05:08 PM

I was reading about the Sonax Nano Coating a while back before deciding on another coating.

I think it's more of a Sealant than a true coating, for one it has a durability of up to 9 months.

I also beleive it's a step up from Sonax PNS which has a shorter durability, and again you'd loose the characteristics of the coating and gain those of the PNS if that is applied.

The way it is you'd probably be good with your coating till Summer at which time you'll pretty much renew your LSP anyways.
So If you don't like the way it looks Now what would you loose applying the Fuzion on top?

If it was me I'd probably do it and see if I like it better, if not then come summertime I'd go a different route.

Vincentz
01-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Just curious, did you decon and polish the paint prior to applying the coating? The look may have more to do with correcting/polishing than the coating...maybe.
Sonax makes great products but I'm not familiar with the product you applied.

I gave it the full tour! :) sonax cutmax on meguiars microfiber cutting pad, and then sonax ex0406 on a yellow rupes pad. Both on my rupes lhr15 and rupes mini. Sonax makes great products :) the cutmax is, imo, slightly better at cutting than meguiars d300. And the Ex0406 is a good finish polish(and a good one step!) but this is the first time i have used sonax nano. Or any coating! My english isnt perfect, so i hope you can follw me :)

FUNX650
01-02-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm not really following you. might be my bad english ;)
No...my bad. Please accept my apology.

Thankfully:
Other forum members came forward to assist you...
and to my rescue. :dblthumb2:

Bob