PDA

View Full Version : FG400 Question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

He Hate Me
01-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Hello all,

So I decided to pull the trigger on some Menzerna FG400 after all the good reviews I've read around here.

I loaded it up on a newly bought LC CCS Orange pad and it just doesn't have the cut like the Megs UC that I used on my wife's truck. I did a one step on her 4-Runner and it came out pretty darn good with a Hex-Logic Orange pad. I am using it on my car this time (2008 Mazda) and it is still not cutting enough. I did notice using the Hex-Logic Orange pad it cut a LITTLE better but not what I would expect from this product and all the praise it gets. I really feel like I should have picked up Megs M101 like I had originally planned too...At this point, I'm just kinda shell-shocked that Megs UC (a $10 bottle) did better than a $30 bottle...

I use a PC 7424XP, 5 speed and definitely go slower than most, I am also working a 2x2 section. I prep my pad and clean it often. Any suggestions? Should I pick-up a MF pad (It seems like after some searching the MF does cut better, but substantially?) Any suggestions on MF pad? I've only used foam as I just started using machines.

Thank you for any suggestions and help.

DaveT435
01-01-2015, 08:24 PM
I use the same machine. I use it with LC yellow flat pads and it works great. It does have a lot of oils in it. Are you using too much product possibly? I have M101. The FG 400 has better cut IMO. At least with the pads I'm using.mthe hex logic pads may be holding too much product???

How many section passes and what kind of pressure?

He Hate Me
01-01-2015, 08:31 PM
I use the same machine. I use it with LC yellow flat pads and it works great. It does have a lot of oils in it. Are you using too much product possibly? I have M101. The FG 400 has better cut IMO. At least with the pads I'm using.mthe hex logic pads may be holding too much product???

How many section passes and what kind of pressure?

Thanks for the reply DaveT435! I use 4 pea sized dots on my first run and then after that I do 3 every time. I do 3-4 (mostly 3) section passes (same amount I used with UC) should I be doing more with FG400 with all the oils it has?

expdetailing
01-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Bump to speed six with 15 lbs pressure, then reduce machine speed and arm pressure after 4 passes. Yes, micro f pads do cut better.
From my experience, fg4oo has better cut than UC.

He Hate Me
01-01-2015, 08:36 PM
When I used speed 6 I noticed a lot more dusting (which I'm sure any product eventually does).

custmsprty
01-01-2015, 08:43 PM
I prefer the LC flat orange pads and have had exceptional one step correction results with FG400 with that pad combo and running at 6 w/ no dusting.

DaveT435
01-01-2015, 08:43 PM
I would try more section passes...6. Speed 5 or 6 I usually use 5. Medium pressure on the first four then lighten up a little on the last two.

I assume you are using 5.5 inch pads. Try just a little more product.

DaveT435
01-01-2015, 08:49 PM
You may find this helpful. I realize your machine and pads are different but you will find some good info

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

He Hate Me
01-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion guys, really appreciate you taking the time to help!

I'll do some more section passes. I really do want this stuff to work better than UC! I feel like I got the jist of the DA after doing my wife's truck, but maybe the paint is just a lot different on my car.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
01-01-2015, 09:15 PM
One thing to keep in mind when comparing 2 different products, is you are also using it on 2 very different paints. Toyota tends to be on a softer side, versus Mazda (Ford) tend to be a medium hardness clear. So to compare 2 products on 2 different vehicles, isn't a fair comparison for anyone.

Secondly, I would not recommend more than 4-5 section passes on FG400. If you can get it to last long enough to stay lubricated for 6 section passes, you are using too much product (at speed 5 or higher). FG400 doesn't like to be worked for that long in my experimenting. FG400 and an orange cutting pad can kill some serious defects, so let me ask you a few questions.

How are you prepping your pad? How are you cleaning your pad? How often are you cleaning your pad?

Corey@OptimalDetailing
01-01-2015, 09:17 PM
When I used speed 6 I noticed a lot more dusting (which I'm sure any product eventually does).

If you are noticing a lot of dust, either too much product is being used or your speed is too high causing the product to get hot and dry up. Again, FG400 does not like to be worked for too long or it will dust if it hasn't been broken down properly. You have to treat it much different than Meg's UC as it is a DAT product versus SMAT product.

DaveT435
01-01-2015, 09:38 PM
If you are noticing a lot of dust, either too much product is being used or your speed is too high causing the product to get hot and dry up. Again, FG400 does not like to be worked for too long or it will dust if it hasn't been broken down properly. You have to treat it much different than Meg's UC as it is a DAT product versus SMAT product.

That's interesting, I never have a problem running 6 section passes. I do use a lower speed though. I'll have to do some testing stepping up the speed and use less passes and see what kind of results I get. I have been loosely following the "smack" method. He said he goes 6 to 8 passes.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
01-01-2015, 09:54 PM
That's interesting, I never have a problem running 6 section passes. I do use a lower speed though. I'll have to do some testing stepping up the speed and use less passes and see what kind of results I get. I have been loosely following the "smack" method. He said he goes 6 to 8 passes.

You can go 6-8 passes, but you really have to utilize the slower speed (aka Smack Technique). Mike and I have discussed a bit as far as his technique is concerned and using a slower speed allows FG400 to break down properly without drying up. Speed 5 or higher on a PC will not allow the product to break down and stay consistent with its lubricity. But running at a higher speed I have had FG400 dry up and dust using a high speed and it doesn't cut OR finish near as well, for obvious reasons.

I back up Mike's (Smack technique) theory 100% and use it personally, so I know it works.

DaveT435
01-01-2015, 10:10 PM
You can go 6-8 passes, but you really have to utilize the slower speed (aka Smack Technique). Mike and I have discussed a bit as far as his technique is concerned and using a slower speed allows FG400 to break down properly without drying up. Speed 5 or higher on a PC will not allow the product to break down and stay consistent with its lubricity. But running at a higher speed I have had FG400 dry up and dust using a high speed and it doesn't cut OR finish near as well, for obvious reasons.

I back up Mike's (Smack technique) theory 100% and use it personally, so I know it works.

Ahhh...I misunderstood what you were saying. After re reading it I got it. your just saying if you can get that many passes at speed 5 or higher your using too much product.

He Hate Me
01-01-2015, 10:11 PM
One thing to keep in mind when comparing 2 different products, is you are also using it on 2 very different paints. Toyota tends to be on a softer side, versus Mazda (Ford) tend to be a medium hardness clear. So to compare 2 products on 2 different vehicles, isn't a fair comparison for anyone.

Secondly, I would not recommend more than 4-5 section passes on FG400. If you can get it to last long enough to stay lubricated for 6 section passes, you are using too much product (at speed 5 or higher). FG400 doesn't like to be worked for that long in my experimenting. FG400 and an orange cutting pad can kill some serious defects, so let me ask you a few questions.

How are you prepping your pad? How are you cleaning your pad? How often are you cleaning your pad?

Thanks for your reply Corey!

I had kinda thought that there would be a difference in paints and definitely would be unjust to expect the same results.

I am prepping my pad by spraying 2 sprays of CG Pad Conditioner and I am cleaning my pad by spraying it liberally with CG Pad Cleaner and rinsing and scrubbing it with water then drying it by putting it on the DA and turning it on and letting the water fly off away from everything. I do this every 2 panels. Should probably do it every 1 though... but still wasn't seeing the result I wanted with a clean pad.

So speed 3-4 with 4 section passes would be good?