PDA

View Full Version : pad or polish? which one do I upgrade first?

A1monky
08-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I am going to do a detail on my EVO on sat. for a meet on sun. I still have sum light swirls that I didnt get rid of on the last detail. I believe in doing the least about to get the paint corrected. As too conserve clear...
I used menz FP last week on my GF's car, and I loved how easy it was to use. I had been using the XMT line, and I figured that all polishes dusted, and spat out polish balls. But, the FP did not dust at all, and no polish balls flew.:) :)
Ok, I want to use the FP to get rid of ALL the swirls.
I dont have any other menz polish, if FP is not strong enough.
Should I buy some 106 or another menz polish??
Or could I just upgrade my pad choice to the orange, and hope that works??

I geuss what I really want to know is...
Will upgrading my pad choice (white, too orange) really get rid of swirls?
Or do I have to get a more abrasive polish out??

Sorry for being wordy, Mike

Bags
08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
I would say go with the next step up polish. With the orange pad you run the risk of marring the paint and having to go back over it. Just my 2 cents and I am not a pro.

A1monky
08-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks Bags. I whouldnt mind adding an extra step if I get the swirls out.

Old Pirate
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
You might want to work the polish a little more to break down. I use 106ff and SIP, and love these two products so much, these are my go to polishes with no problems yet. And i would use a white pad. :cheers:

A1monky
08-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Yea I am thinkin about just getting the 106. I am just pissed since I already have FP. I guess I can use the FP on cars other than mine.

Old Pirate
08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Just try to work the polish a little while longer and see if that works for you. Also try a white pad too, and wipe it with your favorite QD afterwards. Try not to put to much polish on your pads (i learned my lesson) a little goes a long way, hopes this helps you.:cheers:

Truls
08-20-2007, 04:01 PM
That depends also on what polish/compound you use, the 106ff works well on the EVO paint, used the beige megs pad (softest) and that went fine when i tested it on the hood, but if im doin the whole car i think ill use the yellow megs pad to speed things up a bit. Oh, and i used a rotary AND a PC with the same final result, but it takes a bit longer using the PC. even the Menz APO60 states that i can be used with the wool pad, and thats a glaze, so it looks like they works from super soft pads to heavy cutting pads i guess.

But as always, test it first, no need detailing the car 3 times if one time is enough, sorry i forgott you drive a EVO, we like "doing" our cars, dont we....lol....wax on wax off, Daniel San

And i didnt like the Orange pad on the EVO paint (XMT 1/PC) but it may be that i should have used heavyer cutting compound

blkexcoupe
08-20-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't think changing the pad will do much with FP. I'd get a different menzerna polish if I were you. Everyone seems to love 106, but I haven't tried it for myself. I've only used IP and FP, and from my experience IP dust like crazy. My friend told me to mix IP with 1/8th FP to reduce dusting, and this combo has been working great for me.

A1monky
08-20-2007, 05:42 PM
That depends also on what polish/compound you use, the 106ff works well on the EVO paint, used the beige megs pad (softest) and that went fine when i tested it on the hood, but if im doin the whole car i think ill use the yellow megs pad to speed things up a bit. Oh, and i used a rotary AND a PC with the same final result, but it takes a bit longer using the PC. even the Menz APO60 states that i can be used with the wool pad, and thats a glaze, so it looks like they works from super soft pads to heavy cutting pads i guess.

But as always, test it first, no need detailing the car 3 times if one time is enough, sorry i forgott you drive a EVO, we like "doing" our cars, dont we....lol....wax on wax off, Daniel San

And i didnt like the Orange pad on the EVO paint (XMT 1/PC) but it may be that i should have used heavyer cutting compound

Thanks for telling me the 106ff works well on your EVO. Its always good when you post on my q's Truls. How does the yellow megs compare to LC pads?
Yea, I tested the panel and used my halogens to see if I got all the swirls out.
It looked good under the lights, but once I got it out in the sun. It was a diffrent story.
I have used the orange pad on my freinds graphite gray EVO w/ XMT#3. It turned out really well. I finished with a grey pad, and 360.
Thanks for all your help guys, I am ordering the 106ff.

Mike

Truls
08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry i havnt tryed the LC pads, only ccs, edge, autoglym and Megs.

The thing about megs is that its 3 different colours burg, yellow and beige (+wool), and its not so confusing like other brands with 6 or 7 different colours to choose from and some are hard to tell apart by the touch. But dont misunderstand, the others have very good pads too. and have the "same" pads that megs got, i just have a tendency to end up with the megs pads.

Guess i should have used a more cutting comp with the orange pad then, my paint became slightly haze.

FMINUS
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
polish first

A1monky
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Guess i should have used a more cutting comp with the orange pad then, my paint became slightly haze.

I got some marring with the orange pad too, but I followed up with 360.

m4gician
08-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I know the demo says 3-5 minutes on a 2x2 area. but it rarely is exactly those specs. In fact, wen I have my iPod going, I go through 2 songs maybe 3 (6-9) minutes even 12 - 15 minutes.

I don't time myself. I work polish in until dust galore and the polish is very translucent.

Step up polishes first, it's the pads that cause the micromaring.