PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 hybrid vs hydro

Producerulez
12-31-2014, 08:54 PM
New to this so sorry if it's a old question or wrong spot to put question.. So be kind with any answer I am learning :buffing: and clueless
Just ordered the
Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 HD Ultimate Polishing Kit. To repair a car that hasn't been waxed in two years.
But I see great reviews on hybrid pads, so should I even use the hydro pads that came with my kit, was my kit a good investment? So much to learn...........

wdmaccord
12-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Try them out and get some other pads to try as well. Everyone has their preference. Find which ones you like best. Yah, it will cost you some dough, but once you find what you like to help you do your best work, it will be worth it.

The hydrotechs should work good with WG polishes.

I started with CCS 6.5 inch pads, then went to CCS 5.5 inch pads, then tried 5.5 inch flat pads. I think I've decided on the flat pads going forward (since I use both DAT and SMAT products). I'm not sure if you need an adapter to use regular lake country pads on the flex or not?

If you want to try the CCS pads, I could send a couple to you. Just PM me. I don't know that they would be the best to use with WG since I believe it is a DAT product line.

Guessless
12-31-2014, 09:42 PM
New to this so sorry if it's a old question or wrong spot to put question.. So be kind with any answer I am learning :buffing: and clueless
Just ordered the
Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 HD Ultimate Polishing Kit. To repair a car that hasn't been waxed in two years.
But I see great reviews on hybrid pads, so should I even use the hydro pads that came with my kit, was my kit a good investment? So much to learn...........
You got the 5.5" HT pads & the 4 3/8 BP which should be used for those pads.

Mike P states he likes the 5" Hybrids best, this doesn't mean you wont be happy with the pads you got. It's just that 5" Hybrids are apparently the best match for the Flex.

Couple of things to keep in mind:
If you get 5" Hybrids you better get a Lake country BP system for the Flex as well, that's because the velcro on those pads is 4" and smaller than your 4 3/8 BP.

You could just try the HT pads and see how you like'em but I suspect you'd need at least a couple more in each color, that would save you much time when polishing.:props:

Tato
12-31-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm with the crowd, between HT and Hybrids I like hybrid better, which doesn't mean HT pads are bad.

In contrary, they are very good and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get stunning results with your kit.

On your following orders I recommend you to try the 4" changeable plate for the Flex and some hybrids to see how they fit your use, but don't worry,

You'll get your first great results with what you have.

See here:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn_kVH3BVc[/video]

Mike Philips showing the Flex and HT, which I believe are 6.5".

Hope that helps (that video helped me a lot when I got my first 3401).

Kind Regards.

jcb27
01-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Glad you started this thread. I'm in the same boat just getting into it. I've been using a PC and after reading the definitive guide to collinite 845 purchased a few of the hydro pads based on the recommendations within the thread. I then decided to pick up a flex based on all the overwhelming reviews and when starting to read about pads for it was shifted towards the hybrids. So I now (or soon will) have hydro, hybrids, and a few hex logic pads. I plan to use the hybrid pads (orange and white) on my car and use the hydro (red) pads for the 845 on my car. The other pads I will use on other cars (family). I'm sure they are all more than capable of completing the task. So far the hex logic pads seem to be separating from the 'hook and loop' after only a few uses. Hopefully the LC pads will hold up better.

mg6045
01-01-2015, 07:29 AM
I think the performance of the hydrotech pads are better. To be honest i think they are the best pads on the market. They give such great results on pretty much any paint with any machine. There is a tradeoff though. And that tradeoff is significant. The Hydrotechs are just not durable no matter how you put it. You want to avoid overloading them with polish as well as heat. Best bet is to keep them really clean and switch them up often. very often to allow the pads to cool down between panels. I typically use twice the amount of cutting and heavy polishing pads when using hydrotech's. I get lots of service life out of the pads by using this technique. I probably use a heavy polishing (tangerine) pad on 2 panels max before switching out to a new or clean pad. The used pad will not be used again until I clean it out completely with pad cleaner and water. Also do not use these pads until they are bone dry.

Its also important to be gentle with the pad brush when cleaning off spent product. You cant attack them with the brush like some of the other durable pads. You will rip off the top layer of foam and after that they will easily come apart. I use a softer, short hair interior brush when cleaning hydrotechs.

something similar to this :
Natural Horse Hair Interior Detail Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-horse-hair-brush.html)

These nylon brush's lay waste to the H20-tech pads if not used carefully :
Foam Pad Conditioning Brush cleans and reconditions foam and wool pads on the buffer. remove excess caked wax and polish from buffing pads. (http://www.autogeek.net/padtool.html)

Producerulez
01-01-2015, 06:27 PM
When I get my purchase and it nice weather I will be sure to post before and after. This is my first time ever using a polisher DA so I am excited to see results.