PDA

View Full Version : Using/Cleaning UHS Pads

ZiggyPopp
12-31-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi
I received my UHS system and was hoping someone might be able to tell me how I should expect these pads to perform given how stiff they are. They are so stiff I am afraid to put them to my paint frankly.

I have read the Hudson/Ferrari thread on these pads that mentions that they soften up a bit with use and product saturation. How should I expect these pads to perform/conform to curved body panels which is usually a struggle for me as my BF 21 tends to bog down on my Audi TT and S5 a lot even with the washer mod?

Also, how should I clean these out? I usually wash pads by hand in the sink but these look to stiff to wash out in that manner. Should I plan to use my pad washer with these pads?

Thank you
Carl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SonOfOC
12-31-2014, 01:31 PM
The pads are indeed very stiff, but most of the Rupes pads are on the stiff side. I have not tried it on super soft paint like blacks from BMW, Porsche, Lexus, and other imports; however, I have used it on hard ceramic paint as well as medium hardness paint and Rupes UHS works extremely well.

Don't let the stiff pad scare you. Try a test spot with 4 drops of UHS compound on speed 4-5. The polish has a very long work time. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

As for cleaning, I soak mine in a pad rejuvenator solution sold here at AG for a few hours and rinse them clean. The pads will get softer after they soak.

Mike lambert
12-31-2014, 02:02 PM
The system will give you a wax ready finish,but I used it on my black challenger and found I needed to use a finishing polish to remove some slight haze.this may have been my technique. I have used it on several cars and it works great! The pad does soften up after a few uses. I find 2 pads for a car works well. I just let them air out and brush before next use.

Audios S6
12-31-2014, 02:07 PM
The system will give you a wax ready finish,but I used it on my black challenger and found I needed to use a finishing polish to remove some slight haze.this may have been my technique. I have used it on several cars and it works great! The pad does soften up after a few uses. I find 2 pads for a car works well. I just let them air out and brush before next use.

Mike, when you say 2 pads per car, are you using 1 pad for half the car with on-the-fly cleaning and then switching to the other pad? Or are using using 1 pad per panel and rotating between them, perhaps with a pad washer in between panels?

Andrew_517
01-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Did anyone try using UHS pad with Sonax Perfect Finish?

Matt@Revive
01-13-2015, 10:41 AM
I had the same hesitation with the UHS pads, but once you get the polish on them and start working with them they become more plyable. i'm currently using the system on a Lexus ISF and it is working great!!!! cleaning the pads is a pain, i am going to try SonofOC's method tonight to see if i can get all of the polish out of my pads.

have faith in the system, you'll like it!!!

JSou
01-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Did anyone try using UHS pad with Sonax Perfect Finish?

I have. I find that the Yellow Rupes Pad works better with Sonax's Perfect Finish. The UHS system has replaced their green pads for me.

Andrew_517
01-13-2015, 11:15 AM
I have. I find that the Yellow Rupes Pad works better with Sonax's Perfect Finish. The UHS system has replaced their green pads for me.

That is what I going to try in next step, Rupes yellow pad with Sonax Perfect Finish. Is it okay to use the yellow pad on stock backing plate (designed for foam) or I need to use the plate that specially designed for the pad?

JSou
01-14-2015, 10:20 AM
That is what I going to try in next step, Rupes yellow pad with Sonax Perfect Finish. Is it okay to use the yellow pad on stock backing plate (designed for foam) or I need to use the plate that specially designed for the pad?

I'm not sure I follow.

Are you asking if you could use this on a PC-style DA like the GG6, PC, G110, or Harbor Freight?

If so, you probably can but it will not be as smooth. I also doubt it'll be able to spin such a stiff/dense pad but try it and let us know.

Andrew_517
01-15-2015, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure I follow.

Are you asking if you could use this on a PC-style DA like the GG6, PC, G110, or Harbor Freight?

If so, you probably can but it will not be as smooth. I also doubt it'll be able to spin such a stiff/dense pad but try it and let us know.

Currently, I am using Rupes DA yellow foam pad with Sonax Perfect Finish. And I want to try the new Rupes yellow pad with Sonax Perfect Finish. Just wonder if I can also get the same or even better result in this combination.