PDA

View Full Version : School Me on Using Spray on Wax as a Drying Aid

Pages : [1] 2

Hermes1
12-31-2014, 12:41 PM
What I am interested in is when to apply the spray on wax, immediately after the final rinse, after part dry or does it matter? I use a Metro Master Blaster to dry my vehicles which pretty much leaves very little to no water to dry with a towel, so wondering if a spray on wax will have any benefit as a drying aid. Thanks.

builthatch
12-31-2014, 12:54 PM
it's called a drying aid but it doesn't actually help drying.

it's just a way to get something (a product) on the car while drying.

if want to get a spray wax or gloss enhancing product (like Optimum Instant Detailer) on the vehicle during drying, you'd have to dry in the traditional sense where wiping is involved, essentially adding an extra step to your existing process. if you really need to add that extra product to the process, you could use the spray wax or whatever, dry by wiping, then use the metro to get the water out of the nooks and crannies for a touch up.

i used to use drying "aids" but i realized since i'm washing mostly coated cars, there is no need. esp because i'm drying panels and glass via mostly blotting nowadays with a Dry Me Crazy. i like Opti-Coat with nothing on it and the goal down the line is to have all my vehicles topped with Gloss-Coat which DEFINITELY doesn't need anything on top. it's wacky slick as-is.

KMdef9
12-31-2014, 01:17 PM
it's called a drying aid but it doesn't actually help drying.

it's just a way to get something (a product) on the car while drying.

if want to get a spray wax or gloss enhancing product (like Optimum Instant Detailer) on the vehicle during drying, you'd have to dry in the traditional sense where wiping is involved, essentially adding an extra step to your existing process. if you really need to add that extra product to the process, you could use the spray wax or whatever, dry by wiping, then use the metro to get the water out of the nooks and crannies for a touch up.

This is why I like QD as a drying aid. I also use Dry Me Crazy, and can get away with using one 16x16 with my LSP and sheeting, no blowing the water off. Plus my QD is ok on glass and trim, spray waxes, not so much.

The spray wax is suppose to help keep your LSP lasting longer. They're meant for in between applications of a LSP, I wouldn't use them as a standalone LSP. And they're typically easier to apply/remove than traditional waxes.

Hermes1
12-31-2014, 01:19 PM
This helps, thank you both.

07gtcs
12-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Its only a drying aid if it helps you dry the car. ie: If your using a WW to dry instead of blowing it dry.

Kamakaz1961
12-31-2014, 03:35 PM
To me, my interpretation of a QD as a drying aid is this: I like Aquawax as a drying aid. When I am drying a car (with Metro Sidekick and Dry me Crazy MF towel) I may have missed a couple of spots that have dried. I will spray Aquawax on the dry spot (you usually can tell by dry water spots) and then wipe it off with the Dry Me Crazy MF towel.

TO ME and IMO that is what I think Aquawax or any other QD is as an aid to drying. It also can be used as a QD after the car is dry.

As for Spray Wax IMO is a completely different technique. I will apply a Spray wax on a dry car for longevity and enhancing gloss. This will be a couple of washes before I apply a coat of wax with one of my favorite carnauba waxes.

The Spray Wax I have is a dedicated Spray Wax and can assist in drying, however, I do not see a Spray Wax as a drying aid. I feel it has a better use.

The Spray Wax that I use AGO does not carry and it is the Best Spray Wax for me and IMO.

Ago does carry their own brands (Pinnacle Spray Wax, DP, etc.) and Optimum Spray Wax and they are great products to use.

Blade
12-31-2014, 03:59 PM
There's a few reasons why one would do this.
- avoid water spots. A QD eliminates them as you dry.
- save time and be efficient. If you're going to spray wax anyway, you don't need to dry the entire car off. Wax as you dry!!!
- gloss enhancer. A lot of people like that "just waxed" look after a wash.
- avoid instilling marring during the drying phase. With a QD or spray-on wax, you get that added lubricity.

I'm sure there are more reasons.

VISITOR
12-31-2014, 04:28 PM
wash car. sheet/flood rinse. blow dry (leaf blower). use a qd/spray wax and soft microfiber towel. done.

FUNX650
12-31-2014, 05:12 PM
What I am interested in is when to apply the spray on wax, immediately after the final rinse, after part dry or does it matter? I use a Metro Master Blaster to dry my vehicles which pretty much leaves very little to no water to dry with a towel..
The way that I understand your above posting is that:
the Metro MB is your drying aid".

so wondering if a spray on wax will have any benefit as a drying aid. Thanks.
IMHO:
Not very much, when using your above drying tools/methods.

Bob

Bunky
12-31-2014, 06:25 PM
The spray wax will be a drying aid in the sense it will maintain the ability for water to quickly sheet off and continue to allow it to be dried quickly.

A drying aid is usually best after sheeting the water and then using when using a drying towel to improve lubricity and a better finish (no water spots, better shine).

Rick72
12-31-2014, 06:38 PM
IMO using a waterless wash as a drying aid is best. We all miss something in the wash process and this is a great way to drive it home and get the things you may have missed during the wash.

wdmaccord
12-31-2014, 06:42 PM
FWIW, here's what I do:

Summer - BFWD + BFCS sealants
2BM (DG901) Finish with sheeting rinse then pull in the garage and dry with BFMS Instant Detailer.

RW with BFWD RW - dry each panel as I go using Garry Dean method, then finish with BF Polymer Spray on dry car using a WW towel.

Winter - Coll 845 sealant/wax
RW with DGRW+AW - after damp dry, spray with AW, then do final dry.

cardaddy
12-31-2014, 07:36 PM
The way that I understand your above posting is that:
the Metro MB is your drying aid".

IMHO:
Not very much, when using your above drying tools/methods.

Bob

:iagree:WITH :whs: :D

However if you were to spray something like Duragloss 951 on the vehicle while it's still wet, it'll make for less water spotting during ANY drying cycle, whether that be towels or the MasterBlaster. :props: Not to mention how slick it'll leave the surface. :)

frankprozzoly
12-31-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm confused. What's the difference between qd and spray wax? Thought those were the same thing. Is onr considered a qd and aqua wax is spray wax for examples

builthatch
12-31-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm confused. What's the difference between qd and spray wax? Thought those were the same thing. Is onr considered a qd and aqua wax is spray wax for examples

quick detailer is for cleaning up light dust and such, usually provides slickness and gloss but no protection. it's like a super light duty waterless wash. also traditionally good for using as a clay lubricant.

spray wax is exactly what it says - a sprayable wax, so, main purpose is to provide a simple layer of protection, usually a hybrid or full synthetic product. not meant for cleaning in any way.