PDA

View Full Version : Product recommendations for a new Wrangler?.... I'm so confused

CarbonCrew
12-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Just a few days ago I picked up a new Jeep Wrangler in Tank and I'd like to do the best job I can protecting it. Reading the forums I've slipped into the hole of information overload and now have no idea what to buy. The only thing that I am sure of is Iron-X.

What I'd like to do is protect the paint and plastics on the vehicle. Optimum Gloss Coat was on the short list as it protects the paint and plastics. But then I started reading about the CarPro aresenal, i.e. Dlux and Quartz. And then I got hyped up on UTTG. I've spiraled out of control and could use some help.

Please help me right this ship. I'd love some opinions or suggestions. Thanks!

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu103/ElectronMan_photo/jeep-3_zps30609302.jpg

slicksierra
12-31-2014, 10:05 AM
I think it really depends on what you are looking for out of a trim protecting product. High gloss v low gloss, durability v ease of application. Since your jeep is brand new you won't be need any trim restoration products but you will be looking for more dressing type or coating type product

In good faith I can't speak for anything I haven't used but when it comes to liquid or gel type dressings they are all very much alike. I currently use a few different dressings one from Lucas oil, Adams Polishes, and Shine Supply. They all do wonderful and can't really give the edge to one because they all have their durability limitations

Next I had tried to use CQUK on my plastics and ended up applying it incorrectly and just made a mess. It was then very unforgiving when I attempted to remove it. So just beware of the ease of application and use factor when considering trim coatings.

More recently, I have used Sonax Polymer Net Shield on my plastic trim and it has worked fantastic. Perfect level of sheen and I can't wait to see the hydrophobic actions and the durability of a paint sealant but on my trim! Hopefully this helps!

CarbonCrew
12-31-2014, 10:14 AM
That's a great point, Sierra. *I think* the things that are important to me are low gloss on the plastics, longevity (1-2 yr?), and ability to stay clean between washes. I'm not sure if a product like that exists. My major concern is the plastics looking like junk in 4-5 years from sun exposure. If possible I'd like to prevent that.

slicksierra
12-31-2014, 10:16 AM
From the attributes you just described you a definitely looking for a coating type product. There are a few various brands on the market hopefully someone with experience with a particular product will chime in. Been tempted myself to try again with the carpro cquartz dlux

Sicoupe
12-31-2014, 10:35 AM
That is one sweet looking jeep my friend:)

theblob640
12-31-2014, 10:38 AM
If the plastic trim on the Jeep is textured plastic, I highly recommend CarPro DLux. The product literally self-evens itself on those types of plastic and makes the plastic look really black with low sheen.

Setec Astronomy
12-31-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm going to chime in on the plastics, since that vehicle has a lot and I hear you on the "looking like junk after 4-5 years". The obvious answer is a coating like C4 or DLux, however I started a thread on the phenomenon of these coatings changing in appearance before they wear off, and they can't be redone UNTIL they wear off. There may be some difference of opinion on that, and of course the usual trim variables as every piece on each vehicle seems to be slightly different, then different models/brands of vehicle, different age, UV exposure, etc. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/83098-silvering-c4.html

Another option is Opti-Lens, which doesn't do a thing for weathered trim IME, but theoretically should be very good for new trim due to the UV inhibitors. Regardless of what coating you use, because of the risk, I would use one of the great, easy to use trim sealants ON TOP of the coating once or twice a year (I'm referring to UTTG, WETS, BTTTS) to protect the coating. Now if we could only think of something to put on top of the sealant to protect it....

But seriously, I think CeeDog, back in the day, did a C4 test on the bumper of his Saturn where he put UTTG on top of the C4 and it had a synergistic effect and lasted longer than either of them individually. Of course I can't find that review now!