PDA

View Full Version : Ready for spring

mcate
12-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Santa brought me some asked-for goodies this year, & I'm dying to try them out. The patient is my black 2009 GT500. Last year it got corrected with Menz FG400, polished with Menz SF4000, & finished with Menz PL & CL. While I was totally happy with the outcome, I'm going to try a different route this year. I'm going to polish with HD Polish, then give it a coat of CG EZ Creme glaze, then a coat of Dodo Juice Blue Velvet (a Christmas present) & a couple of coats of Dodo Juice Purple Haze (another present.
Anyone think I'll notice much of a difference?

KMdef9
12-30-2014, 12:17 PM
To many LSP layers in my opinion, doubt you'll see a difference between all the layers, inturn wasting product/money.

Why not try each one on a different panel to see what you like more?

conquistador
12-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Agree with the above statement. This has been proven time after time that layering is a complete waste of products, money, and time. Good luck

12-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Skip the EZ Creme Glaze...

mcate
12-30-2014, 12:42 PM
I've never really looked at glaze as an LSP, but I certainly understand how it could be considered one. I've seen several people post how Purple Haze over Blue Velvet adds depth, so I figured I'd give it a try. I got the samples for Xmas, so not much money wasted.

FUNX650
12-30-2014, 01:09 PM
I've never really looked at glaze as an LSP, but I certainly understand how it could be considered one. I've seen several people post how Purple Haze over Blue Velvet adds depth, so I figured I'd give it a try. I got the samples for Xmas, so not much money wasted.
If I were to "layer":
I'd try seeing how much depth each "layering process"
would/wouldn't add to an individual panel, before deciding to proceed to "layer" the entire vehicle.

Spring? Less than 90 days from now!!!!

Bob

dlc95
12-30-2014, 01:22 PM
I believe it was Mike Phillips that used the phrase "law of diminishing returns". It's based on the principal that the clear coat will only hold so much product. This means that subsequent layers of product are added in futility.

Is this true? I have no real world experience, but the theory makes a lot of sense.

I like to lay down a layer of sealant, then wax over it once of twice a month - if for nothing else, to enjoy myself...

The cars I maintain for people usually just get a shot of spray wax after the sealant, and wax is laid down.

Rsurfer
12-30-2014, 01:29 PM
To many LSP layers in my opinion, doubt you'll see a difference between all the layers, inturn wasting product/money.

Why not try each one on a different panel to see what you like more?

:iagree:on too many LSP layers. He would be hard pressed to see any difference on the separate panels if polished properly.

mcate
12-30-2014, 05:11 PM
I've layered wax over sealant for years. I like the added layer of protection, & in some cases I honestly believe I've seen a visible difference. I'm not worried about the money, because it's only a couple of 30 ml samples of Dodo Juice wax that were asked for just for this experiment. I'm just a fan of experimenting.

wdmaccord
12-30-2014, 06:08 PM
I've layered wax over sealant for years. I like the added layer of protection, & in some cases I honestly believe I've seen a visible difference. I'm not worried about the money, because it's only a couple of 30 ml samples of Dodo Juice wax that were asked for just for this experiment. I'm just a fan of experimenting.

Nothing wrong with this if you just want to experiment, but I would go with Bob's suggestion and maybe do one wax on the whole car, then pick one or two panels to try the layering so you can see how they look and hold up side by side. Or do some panels with one wax and some with the other and one with both, then you can compare all three scenarios.

mcate
12-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Nothing wrong with this if you just want to experiment, but I would go with Bob's suggestion and maybe do one wax on the whole car, then pick one or two panels to try the layering so you can see how they look and hold up side by side. Or do some panels with one wax and some with the other and one with both, then you can compare all three scenarios.

Makes perfect sense, & I've got the next couple of months to play around with it.