PDA

View Full Version : Engine detailing

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
12-30-2014, 09:11 AM
I've read alot about this subject. I'm still apprehensive about it. I hosed my 13 accord engine once. It was fine. I haven't done it yet on my 14. Starting from scratch I've been able to keep things pretty clean. But there's still stuff that takes more than just wiping down.

Mike has a video of an old muscle car that he foams the engine bay. But all of the tiny electrical connections on newer engines scare me.

Should I use saran wrap and tape up every little electrical connection I can see or am I worrying too much. When I hosed down the 13 accord I covered the air intake and alternater. That's it

Matt@Revive
12-30-2014, 09:22 AM
as a tech i've seen how expensive an "engine detail" can get when electrical components get flooded. most of your engine components designed to deal with the elements (rain, snow, dirt...) but i still either cover electronics, or avoid spraying them directly with high pressure. just work slow and avoid large amounts of waterand you will have no issues.

Mike Phillips
12-30-2014, 09:42 AM
We cleaned the engine compartment on the Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am over the weekend and every 98% of the electrical components were taped off using Saran Wrap and Painter's Tape.

I'll try to post a few pictures today.

The real secret to safe engine detailing is controlling the water. That is don't flood the engine compartment with water and don't use high pressure water.

Here's what I use and what I show in my detailing boot camp classes, you can pick one up at any hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=87315

After scrubbing whatever parts you're going to scrub, use the shower setting...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=87316

On some new cars there's so much plastic covering every part and component you can really just get away with wiping the engine clean and never even get the hose out.

:)

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2014, 09:48 AM
. But all of the tiny electrical connections on newer engines scare me.

But the thing is that newer engines, those connections are sealed unlike the almost 40-year old Trans Am. As has been suggested, only a gentle flow of water, cover stuff if you're nervous, blow off water after (Metro or leaf blower). You might also want to consider using a steamer instead.

frankprozzoly
12-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Ok thanks for the advice. That's the exact type of nozzle I used last time. I put it on the flat setting and never flooded anything but I will tape up as much as I can just as a precaution. I do have the master blaster. So reading what you guys have to say, I'm gonna stop worrying about it so much. I'll wait for spring to give it a good cleaning. For now I'll keep wiping it down

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2014, 10:34 AM
That's the exact type of nozzle I used last time. I put it on the flat setting and never flooded anything

I'd use it on the "shower" setting as Mike suggested. That flat spray is a much sharper, higher-velocity spray (I use that as a poor man's pressure washer when I don't want to drag out the real pressure washer), IMO much more likely to penetrate places where you don't want it to go.

dcjredline
12-30-2014, 10:36 AM
I use my PW but I dont get very close to the engine. Its as much air as it is water so to me it seems safer.

As a side note: I was at my dads for Christmas (whose vehicles I take care of) and he asked me where to bring his truck to get the engine detailed? I looked at him with the crooked headed dog look!!! HUH?? lol

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2014, 10:41 AM
As a side note: I was at my dads for Christmas (whose vehicles I take care of) and he asked me where to bring his truck to get the engine detailed? I looked at him with the crooked headed dog look!!! HUH?? lol

Funny!

frankprozzoly
12-30-2014, 10:46 AM
I'll put it on the shower setting. A pressure washer scares the s@#t out me even at a distance. I guess if your not using it every month things would be ok. I only plan on using water once or twice a year

wdmaccord
12-30-2014, 12:04 PM
I'll put it on the shower setting. A pressure washer scares the s@#t out me even at a distance. I guess if your not using it every month things would be ok. I only plan on using water once or twice a year

Disclaimer: I don't do this anymore now that I know the proper way to clean under the hood, but I used to take my 2003 Accord, 2008 CRV, and even my 2013 Accord (once) to the self-serve. I would leave the car running, soak with the degreaser setting, then HP rinse. Never had a problem. So I think with NEWER cars, if you are using a gentle stream of water, and as little as possible, you are generally ok. Not always the case though, as I believe I have read some horror stories on here about newer Chryslers (?) that the main board could get wet with just a little bit of water sprayed on the engine. If I was detailing a non-Honda engine, say for a friend/customer, I would definitely try to research that vehicle first to find out what the delicacies are under the hood.

Last time I did my 2013 in the driveway, I did put a big towel in a plastic bag down the big square air intake in the front of the engine compartment. I didn't mess with the alternator. Didn't have any issues.

FUNX650
12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Disclaimer: I don't do this anymore now that I know the proper way to clean under the hood

to the self-serve. I would leave the car running, soak with the degreaser setting, then HP rinse. Never had a problem.

put a big towel in a plastic bag down the big square air intake in the front of the engine compartment.
Except for covering up a few other things; and turning the
warmed-up vehicle off while spraying the degreaser...

Reminds me of:
"The Days of Wine and Roses"...and Gunk!!

Bob

KMdef9
12-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Disclaimer: I don't do this anymore now that I know the proper way to clean under the hood, but I used to take my 2003 Accord, 2008 CRV, and even my 2013 Accord (once) to the self-serve. I would leave the car running, soak with the degreaser setting, then HP rinse. Never had a problem. So I think with NEWER cars, if you are using a gentle stream of water, and as little as possible, you are generally ok. Not always the case though, as I believe I have read some horror stories on here about newer Chryslers (?) that the main board could get wet with just a little bit of water sprayed on the engine. If I was detailing a non-Honda engine, say for a friend/customer, I would definitely try to research that vehicle first to find out what the delicacies are under the hood.

Last time I did my 2013 in the driveway, I did put a big towel in a plastic bag down the big square air intake in the front of the engine compartment. I didn't mess with the alternator. Didn't have any issues.

All newer Chrysler connections are weather sealed under the hood.

But enough pressure and any manufacturers connections/components would take on water.

IME, water pressure doesn't do enough work to out way the risk of damaging components. It doesn't get the nooks/crannies and needs to dealt with by hand. Wheel brushes, i.e. wheel woolies, are a big help, or just one of your bottom of the barrel MFs to get in there and agitate the grim away. Should only have to clean it once a year as mentioned. I just go in there with a trim dressing and wipe it down every now and then.

allenk4
12-30-2014, 01:18 PM
However you choose to clean it....Sonus Motor Kote is the best "dressing" I have tried

- Lasts several months
- Does not attract or hold dust

Process:

- Gentle rinse to flush large particles
- APC (10:1)
- SpeedMaster JR
- Steam
- Rinse
- Dry
- Sonus MK x2 coats

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141031_10_47_20_Pro_2_.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141226_11_26_49_Pro_2_.jpg

wdmaccord
12-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Except for covering up a few other things; and turning the
warmed-up vehicle off while spraying the degreaser...

Reminds me of:
"The Days of Wine and Roses"...and Gunk!!

Bob

If we are going to get nostalgic, let's not forget the days of spraying starter fluid in the carb! :dblthumb2:

davidc
12-30-2014, 03:35 PM
A good precaution is to remove battery cables until things dry out.

Dave