PDA

View Full Version : how to polish aluminum lip that's oxidized and peeling

Aspencer
12-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Hey guys..im new to this forum. First time ever on one. I got a car that came with 17" rims. Im pretty sure the lip is aluminum. A closer look (in picture) u can clearly see the wear on them. Im guessing oxidized and maybe the coat peeling? Please help me as to whats goin on with the lip and how to fix and manage this so I can keep my car lookin its best.
I will say im sure ive contributed to this bc ive been using universal cleaners for rims not rly lookin into what exactly I should be using. But yalls help is greatly appreciated bc my car is worth the best. Thanks!

armoredsaint
12-29-2014, 09:09 AM
looks like refinishing is in the owners future?

Bossed
12-29-2014, 09:13 AM
looks like refinishing is in the owners future?

Any tips on how one would do this?

Mantilgh
12-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Google it. There a bunch of threads on this in various car forums ranging from DIY to having it done professionally.

My partial DIY was to sand, fill, and paint myself. Then I had a body shop painter I know spray them with automotive clear coat.

Turned out great. Better than factory finish on the barrels, but that's not hard to do considering what is one most of them is just overspray from painting the front.

Note. The clear coat on mine failed because I waited to long (3 months I think) between painting and clear coating. Should have had cleared right away.

Mantilgh
12-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Re: how to polish aluminum lip that's oxidized and peeling
Sorry, welcome to auto geek.

The members seem pretty nice here compared to some other forums. Just look through the "stickies" and search first before asking common questions and try to give as much information as needed when describing your problem.

And there are usually 4 similar threads in a box the bottom of the screen.

Some times I search google, or whatever, like this:

autogeekonline.net/forum/ spray wax
Or whatever keywords you are looking for.

Aspencer
12-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. Sorry for the novice questions lol. I was just wondering if there were any products that would take the peeling off itself. I figured it was coated. I shall look into this refinishing...

Mantilgh
12-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Are they the same ones that are on the car in your avatar picture? Polished outer rim, black spokes.

From the posted pictures it looked like an all black wheel with the paint coming off around the rim. I guess what looked black was a reflection of the failing clear coat on the polished part of the wheel.

If it is just the lip, you could sand it off with with wet/dry sanding paper with a small rubber block like the old pink 1"x2" erasers. If it is really bad could scrape off with a piece off plastic, then sand or polish.

I would not use a paint solvent or stripper.

If done and not protected the raw aluminum will just oxidize again quickly and possibly start to eat under the edge of the painted area.

"In my opinion" I don't think clear likes to "stick" to raw aluminum whether polished or sanded. Though will stick better to the sanded.

Seems to me that clear coated "polished" aluminum wheels, or the parts that are, fail quicker (or show their signs of failing better) than clear coated painted wheels.

allenk4
12-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Go with a brushed aluminum finish on the lip

I suggest doing it "Ferris Bueller Style"....put it on jack stands....

Aspencer
01-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Well..attempted to refinish the aluminum. Came out pretty decent I must say. No power tools and all done by hand, I like the outcome..tho I kno it could be better with some power tools. I want more of a mirror fiish and its almost there. Not bad for being a female and never doing something like this before. :-) one question for yall.. does my car come off as looking like a female's car? Be honest. .. and thank u all for the replies and the help!

Mantilgh
01-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Looks pretty good so far. I don't see any pink so it doesn't look like a girls car to me.

I have never polished aluminum, only a little soft steel and brass.

But
If you have access to a either a corded or cordless drill you could do polishing.

Maybe use something like the cotton buff wheels you see at hardware stores where you use the outside surface(not the flat face) to buff with.

I think working with the edge would be easier to work that type of area.

I don't know I this style of buffer wheel would be acceptable for this or not or what type of compound or polish you should use

DaveT435
01-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Welcome!! Yes I would say it looks pretty good. How long did that take?

DaveT435
01-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Well..attempted to refinish the aluminum. Came out pretty decent I must say. No power tools and all done by hand, I like the outcome..tho I kno it could be better with some power tools. I want more of a mirror fiish and its almost there. Not bad for being a female and never doing something like this before. :-) one question for yall.. does my car come off as looking like a female's car? Be honest. .. and thank u all for the replies and the help!

If you really want a mirror finish there is a product called Xtreem metal polish. I worked in the tire and wheel business for 28 years and this stuff is incredible for putting a high shine on aluminum by hand. I can't post a link, forum rulers, great stuff though.

Crispy
02-27-2015, 06:00 PM
If you want to take it to the next level you need to "polish" the aluminum alloy. To do this you need to mask off the black parts and polish only the "shiny parts. Use a drill and a " sisal wheel and tripoli polishing compound. You will see great results. Super clean and then clear coat and enjoy.