PDA

View Full Version : waterless qt question

joey d
12-28-2014, 11:26 PM
How dirty is too dirty to use a qd on my car. I ran it through the Touchless and it still has a little dirt left over from a previous rain. Should I just get out the buckets or spay away. I put a coat of megs ultimate wax on about two weeks ago if that makes a difference. It's a black car so you guys know it shows everything.

allenk4
12-29-2014, 12:36 AM
How dirty is too dirty to use a qd on my car. I ran it through the Touchless and it still has a little dirt left over from a previous rain. Should I just get out the buckets or spay away. I put a coat of megs ultimate wax on about two weeks ago if that makes a difference. It's a black car so you guys know it shows everything.

I think you answered your own question

Quick Detailers are designed to remove finger prints and light dust

For a car with very little dirt a Waterless wash is OK

If the vehicle is a little dirty you will want to step up to a Rinseless wash

There are Forum Members who claim to use only WW or RW and have zero marring. I do not believe it is possible and have not seen the zero marring claim backed up with close-up, sun shots

With a black car, I will always suggest 2BM, unless it is absolutely not an option

Blade
12-29-2014, 01:00 AM
There's a graphic I've seen somewhere here on AG, that will give you an idea when to use each. But allenk4 has pretty much summed it up.

FUNX650
12-29-2014, 02:24 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23645-difference-between-normal-car-wash-waterless-car-wash-rinseless-car-wash-spray-detailer.html

From the above Mike Phillips article:

Spray Detailer
Spray Detailers are for removing, Light Dust, Fingerprints, Smudges and most can also be used as a clay lubricant. Light dust is a light accumulation of airborne dust and contaminants that have landed primarily on horizontal surfaces and have not in any way bonded to the paint.

Note:
While spray detailers are first and foremost positioned as products for removing light dust,
if used wet or heavy and with good technique, that can substitute for a high lubricity waterless wash.

Use your own judgment

Here's another Mike Phillips article that, IMO, is germane
to your QD-ing/Waterless-Washing thread-starter question:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html

Bob

Desertnate
12-29-2014, 08:52 AM
With a black car, I will always suggest 2BM, unless it is absolutely not an option

As a black car owner, I totally agree. I tired the touchless and waterless route last winter and regretted it. I had a lot of marring to polish out in the spring.

In winter, I've come to live with being semi-clean from a touchless and then dream of warmer weather when I can properly wash the car.