PDA

View Full Version : Plastic head light protection ?

Pages : [1] 2

julian
12-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Long time no post dude needing a bit a of a recommendation on how to preserve those clear plastic housings over my head lights and tail lenses.
What's the secret to keeping new besides buying another set in 6 years?
I still have my old now yellow rumble bee, and just bought a new set of h/l for it, and just bought a new Acura for the better half. These housings sure take a beating down here.
I still lurk around here, just do the reading part, not so much the posting part.

DaveT435
12-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Opti lens

davidc
12-28-2014, 08:19 PM
3 choices, one is Opti lens as stated, second is clean them up with sanding, buffing etc. then spray with clear coat ( probably the most permanent fix). Third is buffing ( maybe sanding depending on severity) and sealing with a good sealant. The third will probably require re-buffing every 3 months.

Dave

builthatch
12-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Opti lens

:xyxthumbs:

The Guz
12-28-2014, 08:53 PM
If the lenses are in good shape then just use a headlight protectant of some sort.

Hermes1
12-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Aerospace 303

Mantilgh
12-29-2014, 01:17 AM
Depends on how much you want to spend.

Prices would relate to the durability that davidc posted. More you spend, the more durability you get.

Might think something like a 2k clear would be excessive for new lights, unless you are in an area where they are getting sandblasted regularly.

Opti lens should be a good choice for added UV protection.

If you wax your car and headlights often and use a gentle cleaning technique on then, they should last a bit longer.

The gentlest way that I have heard of (from reading Mike Phillips articles) to clean bugs (bird poo too) from the headlights and hood, grill, bumper, is to soak a large towel with water. I would use warm water. Maybe hit area with a hose first. Lay the towel over the front of the hood and lights, and let soak while you get ready and do the wheels. Then wash as normal.

julian
12-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Opti lens - Is that a type of wax?, I'll check this product out in the store. I do have Aerospace 303 and have been using it also. If the Optilens is a better product, it might be worth it to buy it.
I've done my share of sanding with 4 of grades of wet paper. then putting the rotary on them. Since they are new now, they should be easy to keep up. Driving on the highway here in Fla. does stir up the sand on the roads, it does sand blast them and the windshield after a while. Thanks for the replies!

The Guz
12-29-2014, 02:36 AM
Opti-Lens if you have to repair them. It's a permanent coating that replaces the original coating that has been sanded off.

Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-lens-headlight-coating.html)

If your lenses are new you can use any synthetic wax. If you are looking for something locally that is dedicated to headlights then you can pick this up from Meguiar's. Regular applications of this and plastx work well.

Meguiars Headlight Protectant, plastic protectant, plastic sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-headlight-protectant.html)

It is recommended to apply it every 6-8 weeks.

You also have this protectant

Detailer’s Headlight Protectant Spray (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-headlight-protectant.html)

Or the entire kit just to have it

Detailer’s Total Headlight Restoration Kit, how to restore headlights (http://www.autogeek.net/best-headlight-restoration-kit.html)

Mantilgh
12-29-2014, 07:48 AM
I think Opti lens would be good for new and old.

Another option is the protective films like clear bra but for headlights. It is probably priced between Otpi lens and a real clear coat depending on whether you have it installed or DIY.

I have read that these can work well and wouldn't chip like the clear eventually would and when it fails, would be easier to remove.

Should be able polish, wax, or maybe seal? as needed. Some headlight kits are a thicker film I believe or some brands may be thicker than others.

Might be hard to do it yourself if you have headlights that are not reasonably flat.

There are also new rubberized spray type clear films but I doubt they would last to long.

180sxqc
12-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Hello,

I had the same dilemna on my 2010 Subaru Outback back in 2012.

I had my headlights polished by a friend (at this time I had not discovered autogeek :P)

I had another friend install a clear bra on the lights.

The headlights look brand new since then, plus, the clear bra is really easy to clean (i use à WW periodically in between washes) and its almost self cleaning (lots of road salt hère in Québec, canada) if properly dressed (i use either dp Max wax, griot paint sealant or 303 protectant on it)

This is your best bet IMO, very cost effective and should last very long

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

julian
01-01-2015, 12:38 PM
I may have to check out those little head light bras.

Thanks for all the info. Lot's of real helpful replies..
Hope you all have a Great New Year!

builthatch
01-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Lamin-x makes DIY kits like that. it's pretty thick film that is tough. Xpel has them too, but i dunno if it's self-healing like Xpel Ultimate clear film. that film is thinner and clearer....has better texture too.

HateSwirls
02-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I apply a sealant every oil change.
The lamps on my 2008 RAV4 looks like the day we bought it.
About twice a year I polish them using m205 after claying them.

Ebg18t
02-11-2015, 06:28 AM
On older cars I sanded then polished out the lens and applied Opti-Lens.

On a newer Silverado I used Opti-Lens to protect them and they have been holding up great. That vehicle gets polished & sealed every six months and I know the owner won't wash as often as I would like. But it's their vehicle so tough protection & cost is key. Amazingly the sealant last about 6 months and the headlights still look perfect. Haven't touched the headlights/tai lights since the initial application of Opti-lens.

On my personal cars I used the same coating on the lens that I used on the whole car. But I was these on a regular basis.

I like the idea of Xpel, but I don't always like the look after a year. Here in FL it seems like the sun wreaks havoc on the film if not taken care of.