PDA

View Full Version : Hello. New guy and business in Hartford Ky.

remofire
12-28-2014, 04:26 PM
My name is Robert Williams.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have cleaned cars on the side for a couple of years. But of course you don't get alot of business in the middle of nowhere.

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Fate dealt me a rotten hand employment wise and i was loooking at 2 options. go to a factory that was hiring or try to get a place and clean cars or go mobile. The end result was that i am renting a wash bay for $300 a month at my friends car lot. it is on our counties main highway, where the 2 biggest towns meet up and right by our McDonalds and Wal Mart.

The wash bay is climate controlled and I am already quite busy. Ive been getting at least a car a day right out of the gate. A few days ive gotten 3-5 vehicles in a day and had to get a family relative to help me.

Im very pumped and excited. My biggest thing is that my area is not overun with high quality exquisite vehicles.

My vacuum is a shop vac and if the carpets need cleaning,,,,its carpet cleaner and elbow grease.

If you mention the word detail to 20 people you get 20 different expectations.

I think whats gonna fly around here are just basic $40=$50 cleanings and more thourough $75-$100 cleanups.

:)

Mike Phillips
06-26-2017, 07:12 AM

I live in the middle of nowhere and have cleaned cars on the side for a couple of years. But of course you don't get alot of business in the middle of nowhere.

Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry that after you made this introduction post that nobody, including me welcomed you to the forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Are you still in the shop you mention here,

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Fate dealt me a rotten hand employment wise and i was loooking at 2 options. go to a factory that was hiring or try to get a place and clean cars or go mobile.

The end result was that i am renting a wash bay for $300 a month at my friends car lot. it is on our counties main highway, where the 2 biggest towns meet up and right by our McDonalds and Wal Mart.

Sounds like a good location and a good price.

GSKR
06-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Keep your overhead low and quality work.And things may change for you.You only need 50 good loyal customers. Reach out to some wholesalers who mainly deal with imported cars.2 reasons why they tend to pay more and a majority of the interiors are somewhat presentable.Stay away from tahoes etc.There time eaters.Good luck and welcome to the forum.

remofire
06-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry that after you made this introduction post that nobody, including me welcomed you to the forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Are you still in the shop you mention here,

Sounds like a good location and a good price.

I am still here. Climate controlled is now heat. No sir. But that's ok. I still have mainly senior citizens and soccer moms in my county. Very little t no demand for any high end work. I do quick car washes in and out for $40-50, a mid range which is just more thorough cleanups, but still no wax or carpet shampoo for around $60-$80 and I start my complete in and out with wax and carpets extracted for $150 and up. I'll give you a couple of pictures in the email. I've tried uploading them to this forum on 3 different devices but it always says invalid file.

Mike Phillips
06-26-2017, 03:48 PM
I am still here. Climate controlled is now heat. No sir. But that's ok. I still have mainly senior citizens and soccer moms in my county. Very little t no demand for any high end work.

I do quick car washes in and out for $40-50, a mid range which is just more thorough cleanups, but still no wax or carpet shampoo for around $60-$80 and I start my complete in and out with wax and carpets extracted for $150 and up.

I'll give you a couple of pictures in the email.

I've tried uploading them to this forum on 3 different devices but it always says invalid file.

I received the pictures you sent me via e-mail, I'm leaving for the day but I'll post them for you tomorrow.

58LesPaul
06-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Hey Neighbor! I'm in Hawesville. I'm just a hobby detailer doing family vehicles. I bought a used car over there from 2 guys that had married sisters, is that the lot you are working from?

Jeff

Vegas Transplant
07-02-2017, 12:27 AM

I think whats gonna fly around here are just basic $40=$50 cleanings and more thourough $75-$100 cleanups.

Ain't that the truth.
Sounds like a bread-and-butter plan.

Prime location.Low rent.
Climate controlled.
Sounds like you hit the detailing trifecta.

Mike Phillips
12-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Keep your overhead low and quality work. And things may change for you.

You only need 50 good loyal customers.

Reach out to some wholesalers who mainly deal with imported cars.

2 reasons why they tend to pay more and a majority of the interiors are somewhat presentable.

Stay away from tahoes etc. There time eaters.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Damn good advice from Jeff.

remofire
12-29-2017, 11:46 PM
Hey Neighbor! I'm in Hawesville. I'm just a hobby detailer doing family vehicles. I bought a used car over there from 2 guys that had married sisters, is that the lot you are working from?

Jeff

Well...... I'm sorry I missed these last few responses. Didn't notice my notifications or something. Lol yes sir that IS the carlot I speak of. Still there. I have one full time and two part time employees now. Just ordered a Makita PO 5000C after demoing it and the Pace Paint finishing system and I'm going to start offering buffing soon.

Calendyr
12-30-2017, 12:23 AM
Very old post resurected ;)

Glad to see your business went well since 2014.

I would love to find a place for 300$ / month! Until I do, I guess I will stay mobile ;)

oboroballa03
12-30-2017, 08:36 AM

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Fate dealt me a rotten hand employment wise and i was loooking at 2 options. go to a factory that was hiring or try to get a place and clean cars or go mobile. The end result was that i am renting a wash bay for $300 a month at my friends car lot. it is on our counties main highway, where the 2 biggest towns meet up and right by our McDonalds and Wal Mart.

The wash bay is climate controlled and I am already quite busy. Ive been getting at least a car a day right out of the gate. A few days ive gotten 3-5 vehicles in a day and had to get a family relative to help me.

Im very pumped and excited. My biggest thing is that my area is not overun with high quality exquisite vehicles.

My vacuum is a shop vac and if the carpets need cleaning,,,,its carpet cleaner and elbow grease.

Hey man i feel your pain i live in owensboro (20 minutes away) and i detail on the weekends in the times that i can because i have no garage to do it in but the expectations of people are ridiculous. People always want a 200 to 300 dollar detail for 75 or 100 dollars as this is not my main income so i dont lower my prices/ I tell them to take it to the other guy and see how well it turns out. I am no professional if you consider doing it for a living but i will put my work against anybody in town after seeing a lot of people come to me after getting their car detailed elsewhere. If you need some advice on something message me on here or facebook "Bobby French" i will be more than glad to help if i can and good luck and your adventure i know in hartford it will a rough road.

GSKR
12-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Take advantage of that spot and invest some proper equipment.The promblems you may face once this takes off is growing pains.Make sure you charge according to the labor cost and supplies.You can do more than 100 services.Every town has people that will.pay for higher services keep up your reputation and you will be getting suprise phone calls.I would do washes for a year then start to wean off.Then cater to just detailing services.

GSKR
12-30-2017, 11:07 AM
I'm mobile and I wouldn't touch a car for 35.00 wash.I get calls all the time for washes.I keep forgetting to remove the decal on the van.

Eldorado2k
12-30-2017, 11:30 AM
I'm mobile and I wouldn't touch a car for 35.00 wash.I get calls all the time for washes.I keep forgetting to remove the decal on the van.

What’s the minimum you touch a car for?

GSKR
12-30-2017, 12:08 PM
I don't do car washes I'm Mobile and for me it's a waste of time.Back in 2003 I bought 5 brand new Ford econolines and killed them all by year 3.I have a transit connect now so I'm only limited to detailing.I had 70 wash clients a Mercedes Benz dealer and there body shop and a wholesaler that fed me 10 cars a month.Heres the promblem with washes it gets in the way of you making good money.If Joe calls you on Tuesday and says I've got a classic car for you to clean up for 350 or whatever and you promised Carol the wash client that you will be there the day the classic car needs to be done what are you going to to ,the 350 job or the measley 35.00 wash.In most cases you can call Carol to reschedule and she is fine with it or she can be pissed off.Thats why I don't do washes.You will get beat up so bad and make no money.