PDA

View Full Version : Car Cleaning help

Jersey John
12-27-2014, 09:58 PM
I managed to get outside and clean the car finally and noticed something odd. I used the two bucket method and was using Gtechniq Gwash and cleaned with a relatively new microfiber wash mitt. After rinsing it off I was drying with a white terry towel and found that there was light dirt/grime coming off onto the towel while I was drying. This car hadn't been washed in a few months so I figured it was that but I was looking for advice if it was a problem in my technique.

AutowerxDetailing
12-27-2014, 10:16 PM
If the car had a heavy layer of traffic film it is highly possible that your car wash soap did not fully remove all contaminates from the surface.

In this situation I would recommend the following:

1. Pre-soak lower panels with a paint safe solution of APC. Let dwell for several minutes.

2. Pressure rinse lower panels. It will appear 90% clean if your APC solution does its job.

3. Wash as normal.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

allenk4
12-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Tell me more about the terry towels you are using

Jersey John
12-27-2014, 10:19 PM
If the car had a heavy layer of traffic film it is highly possible that your car wash soap did not fully remove all contaminates from the surface.

In this situation I would recommend the following:

1. Pre-soak lower panels with a paint safe solution of APC. Let dwell for several minutes.

2. Pressure rinse lower panels. It will appear 90% clean if your APC solution does its job.

3. Wash as normal.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

Thanks, just what is "APC" i'm not good with abbreviations.

Jersey John
12-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Tell me more about the terry towels you are using

Regular Terry Towels I picked up at BJs, nothing fancy but they're cheap and I can use them on almost anything I do with the car. They are intended to be used on cars though.

pikiki
12-27-2014, 10:23 PM
APC = All purpose cleaner

Jersey John
12-27-2014, 10:27 PM
APC = All purpose cleaner

Thanks. Any recommendations so that I don't get one that could eat the paint.

pikiki
12-27-2014, 10:59 PM
DP Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner works as a bug & tar remover, a wheel cleaner, a tire cleaner, an engine degreaser, a convertible top cleaner, a vinyl (http://www.autogeek.net/dp320.html)

This is a good safe option IMO

custmsprty
12-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Regular Terry Towels I picked up at BJs, nothing fancy but they're cheap and I can use them on almost anything I do with the car. They are intended to be used on cars though.

Major swirl inducers. Those towels are pretty much like rubbing fine sand paper all over your paint. And if you're using them to wipe your wheels and other grimy areas too and washing them and using them for all your car cleaning tasks (drying) that's even more of a swirl inducer. But if it's not a big deal to you, don't worry about it.

Blade
12-27-2014, 11:20 PM
They are intended to be used on cars though.Not on your paint please. I use them for carpet scrubbing, on-the-fly cleaning of my foam pads, interiors, and for drying myself. :)

VISITOR
12-28-2014, 01:22 AM
I managed to get outside and clean the car finally and noticed something odd. I used the two bucket method and was using Gtechniq Gwash and cleaned with a relatively new microfiber wash mitt. After rinsing it off I was drying with a white terry towel and found that there was light dirt/grime coming off onto the towel while I was drying. This car hadn't been washed in a few months so I figured it was that but I was looking for advice if it was a problem in my technique.

ditch the terry towels and save them for cleaning something else (cleaning leather seats, etc,) where more of a bite is needed instead of using microfiber towels. use soft, plush microfiber towels on the paint. you don't want to polish the paint more than needed from inducing swirls/marring from bad product choices...