PDA

View Full Version : Happened yesterday when I was at the beach

Pages : [1] 2

Surfer
08-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Two girls badly hurt in Pompano Beach parasailing accident -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-0818parasailing,0,3729610.story?coll=sfla-business1)

I was leaving clients business and heard the sirens and helicopters like 5 minutes before I left, then driving up A1A I get to Atlantic Blvd and was redirected with ambulances and police everywhere. Didn't know what happened as I didn't see any cars crashed, figured maybe somebody got hit on a motorcycle or something. Friends of ours have a business about a half mile away on the beach so stopped there to hang out. We get a call saying what happened, this Parasail guy worked for my friend of which fired him in June citing unsafe equipment and boat and had reported him to managment in the area (for hotels etc) yet the idiots still allowed him to operate. Some of his chutes had holes and tethers/straps were worn out etc, yet these idiots still allowed him to operate. And look what happens. Now my buddy is going to the city with backup to have him as the "go to" guy for watersports etc, he's never had an issue all these years, while another guy just had a college girl die on jet ski the other week and elave another girl as a veggie in the hospital. When water gets ruff, he pulls the ski's out while the other guys keep going risking the liability, wind gets strong like yesterday has has his new Parasail guy (who takes excellent care of his equipment) not fly as even a 20 knot wind is dangerous witha chute. But these other guys will like yesterday.

We were so pissed as he told the authorities and has proof and emails explaining the unsafe operation of this guy, yet nothing was done. Now two young girls are in the hospital and may not survive.

Jimmie
08-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Man, I hope they'll survive and be OK. Please keep us posted Surfer.
I hope the dirty rat is out of business.

Gary Sword
08-19-2007, 06:49 PM
A couple summers ago two people we're parasailing off Ft. Myers beach and got hit my lightening. They were both killed.

ScottB
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
it is a tragic story, likely to have taken or damaged both young girls for life. It will clearly be ashame to find that more than likely he failed to carry liability insurance and will claim bancruptcy and walk away.

klumzypinoy
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Something has to be done to that "guy"... I really don't like it when people get away with such things. I hope those two young girls have a chance.

Surfer
08-19-2007, 06:55 PM
A couple summers ago two people we're parasailing off Ft. Myers beach and got hit my lightening. They were both killed.Right next to my friends biz on the beach, there was a kite surfer who did training in hte area and was out when it was really bad out, the wind ripped him out of the water all the way to a building and slammed him against it, was in a coma then died.

What I don't get about the accident yesterday, all the news choppers and sherrif's copters were in the area, my friend got calls from the Herald etc. Yet the only thing I could find was that blurb online, didn't see it on the news last night, or in the papers. Yet if theres a minor accident its front page news "man was bumped at redlight".

it is a tragic story, likely to have taken or damaged both young girls for life. It will clearly be ashame to find that more than likely he failed to carry liability insurance and will claim bancruptcy and walk away.You live in Pompano don't you? Did you hear about it yesterday?

FMINUS
08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
A couple summers ago two people we're parasailing off Ft. Myers beach and got hit my lightening. They were both killed.

That would be the way I would want to die next to dying in my sleep..... One second deaths

FMINUS
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
it is a tragic story, likely to have taken or damaged both young girls for life. It will clearly be ashame to find that more than likely he failed to carry liability insurance and will claim bancruptcy and walk away.

Not sure if this is a Federal law, but in CA, bankruptcy cannot protect the person from certain liabilities such as this one. Not to say the girls will get anything really worthwhile, but at least the guy wont just walk away.

Bags
08-20-2007, 01:39 AM
I heard about it up here in Central Fla. My wife has been bugging me about doing tha since we met. When the news came on I told see what could happen. She just gave me the bird. What stinks is the guy cant run a business to begin with which means even if the sued him they wouldnt get squat.

ScottB
08-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Not sure if this is a Federal law, but in CA, bankruptcy cannot protect the person from certain liabilities such as this one. Not to say the girls will get anything really worthwhile, but at least the guy wont just walk away.

yes negligence is very different than liability. But without insurance and a person claiming bancruptcy can mean many years of trial without any final resolve other than a guilty verdict. Thats the shame in the system.

cusepack
08-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Surfer, it's been on the news all weekend here in Miami on channel 7, WSVN. Sad, sad story . . . they showed the operator just holding the snapped rope and crying. My gut tells me he was crying because he knew the inevitable had been realized.

Surfer
08-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Just saw the news while waiting to pick friend up from airport, the younger girl (15 yrs) died. :( Well still on life support but only for family to say goodbye as she was declared clinically dead, her sister was released yesterday I think.

Surfer
08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
:(

Teenage victim of Pompano parasail accident dies -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbparasail0821nbaug21,0,6492964.story?coll=sfla-news-florida)

Jimmie
08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
That is so sad. Bless her heart.

Meghan
08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
:(

Teenage victim of Pompano parasail accident dies -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbparasail0821nbaug21,0,6492964.story?coll=sfla-news-florida)
I just saw that on the news, that is crazy that someone on vacation, goes out with family to have some fun and they end up losing a family member.:(