PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler correction- on or off the car?

DetailKitty
12-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Woohoo!
So I got what I wanted for Hanukkah/Christmas... A spoiler for the Coupe :dblthumb2:

It came painted to match :xyxthumbs:

I am waiting to install it since it was probably just painted before it shipped (according to the website they paint as they are ordered).
Also, it's installed with 3M tape, so I want to wait for warmer weather.

And of course to the normal person, it looks fine. Paint-wise, it is.... No overspray, no holograms, etc.
HOWEVER, during shipping, and from being wrapped, it has scratches. Nothing horrible, nothing I can't get out. It's all surface scratches and scuffs.

But here's the question: should I correct it BEFORE I install it or should I wait until it's installed on the car?

Thx :dblthumb2:

Dogfather
12-25-2014, 01:07 PM
I would think after. Why make it perfect and then something happens during the installation process.

allenk4
12-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Regardless of what the Forum says.....

I predict that you will polish it within 3 days

rms64
12-25-2014, 01:49 PM
I predict both.

:buffing::buffing:

cardaddy
12-25-2014, 11:19 PM
I predict both.

:buffing::buffing:

:iagree::dblthumb2::iagree:

No W-A-Y that Monica doesn't buff that puppy at least 3 different times. :laughing:

:props:Glad your hubby listened to ya' girl! The boy did good!!! :props:

On a side note, I got something I wanted too (besides my new Flex, deluxe bag, LC backing plate kit & hybrid pads).;)

My daughter & son-in-law got me a pair of IEM's. (In Ear Monitors) :D
RHA - MA750i In-ear Headphone (http://www.rha-audio.com/us/headphones/ma750i.html)

Ebg18t
12-26-2014, 09:21 AM
I would correct it after install. I bet you get it installed within a week. I wouldn't be able to wait much longer than that...

DetailKitty
12-26-2014, 10:14 AM
:iagree::dblthumb2::iagree:

No W-A-Y that Monica doesn't buff that puppy at least 3 different times. :laughing:

:props:Glad your hubby listened to ya' girl! The boy did good!!! :props:

On a side note, I got something I wanted too (besides my new Flex, deluxe bag, LC backing plate kit & hybrid pads).;)

My daughter & son-in-law got me a pair of IEM's. (In Ear Monitors) :D
RHA - MA750i In-ear Headphone (http://www.rha-audio.com/us/headphones/ma750i.html)

Yep... my main gift was a new iPad though :dblthumb2:
But I love the spoiler... don't know why it didn't come with one from the factory. It just completes the whole back look of the car.

I would correct it after install. I bet you get it installed within a week. I wouldn't be able to wait much longer than that...

We will see- I want to make sure it's warm. The garage is heated, so I could turn the heat on, and I can use a heat gun to heat up the surfaces a little for the best adhesion.

12-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't you want to wait a couple weeks to let the paint fully cure before machine polishing? Imo working on the spoiler mounted to the car is a whole lot easier...

DetailKitty
12-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Wouldn't you want to wait a couple weeks to let the paint fully cure before machine polishing? Imo working on the spoiler mounted to the car is a whole lot easier...

Yes, regardless of where it's corrected, I am waiting a while so the paint has time to cure.

cardaddy
12-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Yep... my main gift was a new iPad though :dblthumb2:
But I love the spoiler... don't know why it didn't come with one from the factory. It just completes the whole back look of the car.

We will see- I want to make sure it's warm. The garage is heated, so I could turn the heat on, and I can use a heat gun to heat up the surfaces a little for the best adhesion.

I agree... one would think it'd be preinstalled, (at least on the sport models). :dunno:
Then again G35's/G37's don't automatically come with a spoiler either.

In addition to heating the garage, you've got the halogens right? Wouldn't take but a few minutes with it back there to get the trunk plenty warm enough.

On the pre-painted thing. Did your hubby have it painted, or did it come that way? I know for my daughters last car, (Pontiac G6 GTP) they had a "hammerhead spoiler" option and those were ordered in OEM colors. That should be enough to buff it right away, me thinks. ;)

DetailKitty
12-30-2014, 10:42 AM
I agree... one would think it'd be preinstalled, (at least on the sport models). :dunno:
Then again G35's/G37's don't automatically come with a spoiler either.

Exactly! I got 6-piston Brembos but no $200 spoiler?????:dunno:

In addition to heating the garage, you've got the halogens right? Wouldn't take but a few minutes with it back there to get the trunk plenty warm enough.
No halogens... only fluorescent lighting out there...

On the pre-painted thing. Did your hubby have it painted, or did it come that way? I know for my daughters last car, (Pontiac G6 GTP) they had a "hammerhead spoiler" option and those were ordered in OEM colors. That should be enough to buff it right away, me thinks. ;)

You order them with OEM colors (mine color was an extra $80).

I'm busy as hell anyway right now.
Once I'm back from NY for a work trip I'll tackle it :dblthumb2:
That way, it will have had time to cure to be safe.

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Exactly! I got 6-piston Brembos but no $200 spoiler?????:dunno:

Exactly what I thought when I got a fancy-brand car and it had no cargo net, and I had to pay $50 to buy it at the parts department. I could live with that...but the car wasn't even ready to accept the net, and I had to take half the damn trim off in the back to install the lower hooks (the upper hooks were already there, not part of the kit, go figure). So I can see soaking me for an extra fifty for the net, but they can't put $2 worth of lower hooks in at the factory? I guess the mfr. wanted to soak me for $100 worth of dealer labor, too.

:rant:

oldmodman
12-31-2014, 03:23 AM
Correct the soon to be hidden underside first. Then mount the spoiler. Then correct the visible top side. At that point it will be perfect. Enjoy it until the first bug or bird finds it.:detailer:

DetailKitty
12-31-2014, 09:56 AM
Correct the soon to be hidden underside first. Then mount the spoiler. Then correct the visible top side. At that point it will be perfect. Enjoy it until the first bug or bird finds it.:detailer:

LOL true story.