PDA

View Full Version : Is Mark V the same as Mothers

davidc1
12-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Near where I live in Corona, CA, the is a big building off the freeway called

Mark V? Products | Professional Detailing Systems for Auto, Marine and Air (http://mark-v.com)

They have a small room in the back that they sell there products to the public. Most of it is their label, but there are also some Mother's products in there. The guys back there tell me they are the manufacturer for most of the Mother's products on the market, and that many of their brand labeled products are the same as certain Mother's products. Looking around the corner into the warehouse (the place is huge) I can see probably tens of thousands of Mother's products stacked on shelves.

Anyone know their story and if this is true?

Thanks.

conman1395
12-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Well I feel like you could ask the same question here ---> Is Meguiar's the same as Mothers?

They have similar products and places that sell one brand usually sell the other too.

The answer to your question I would say is no. Mothers products are very, very good and also very, very affordable.

hernandez.art13
12-25-2014, 12:58 PM
I just moved away from Corona a few months back and was actually there yesterday. (Family)

I've seen that brand, there is a detail store that I believe sells it. They are called Uber Detail I believe and great little place.

I didn't know that place was also in Corona if not I would have gone just to go check it out for fun.

I actually have some of there stuff, Mark V. My cousin gave it to me, it's just been in my shelf for about 3+ years.

I should probably use some of it.

davidc1
12-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Well I feel like you could ask the same question here ---> Is Meguiar's the same as Mothers?

They have similar products and places that sell one brand usually sell the other too.

The answer to your question I would say is no. Mothers products are very, very good and also very, very affordable.

Thanks for the reply, but no offense intended, your comparison on Meguires vs Mothers is irrelevant for this question. It's not that type of question I'm asking....Do you know anything about Mark V? Have you seen their building? Why would they have all the Mother's products (probably millions in inventory) in their building? Why would the guy tell me that they actually manufacture the Mother's products and label them as either Mother's or Mark V depending on distribution?

allenk4
12-25-2014, 01:08 PM
In my opinion there is a big difference between re-labeling and contract manufacturing

There are lots of reputable companies that develop/formulate products and have them manufactured/mixed by a contract manufacturer

I know Meguiar's manufactures their own products, some in conjunction with parent company 3M. I do not know if this applies to every single product. They may contract out their air freshener manufacturing

Rumor has it that virtually all of the "coatings" on the market are manufactured by just two Japanese companies and are then re-labeled

davidc1
12-25-2014, 01:11 PM
I just moved away from Corona a few months back and was actually there yesterday. (Family)

I've seen that brand, there is a detail store that I believe sells it. They are called Uber Detail I believe and great little place.

I didn't know that place was also in Corona if not I would have gone just to go check it out for fun.

I actually have some of there stuff, Mark V. My cousin gave it to me, it's just been in my shelf for about 3+ years.

I should probably use some of it.

lol, interesting. Two "steals" I've gotten from them are clay (they sell it in unlabeled plastic wrap) and a product they call Extreme

CAR WASH | Mark V? Products (http://mark-v.com/products/car-wash/)

which they say is the concentrated version of Mothers R3 Racing Rubber Remover, which has become an absolute heaven sent product to remove marks left on the bodywork from racing tire rubber pieces that hit your car when at the track.

Mothers® R3 Racing Rubber Remover (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/09224.html)

Bunky
12-25-2014, 01:13 PM
I suspect they are part of Mothers which is a private company along with Mark V. Mark V was purchased by 2nd Gen Productions and Dennis Hollaway is associated with both companies.

conman1395
12-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the reply, but no offense intended, your comparison on Meguires vs Mothers is irrelevant for this question. It's not that type of question I'm asking....Do you know anything about Mark V? Have you seen their building? Why would they have all the Mother's products (probably millions in inventory) in their building? Why would the guy tell me that they actually manufacture the Mother's products and label them as either Mother's or Mark V depending on distribution?
Well, no offense taken as that is what I get for skimming through your post. My post was kind of snooty too so I apologize. Didn't see the comment about manufacturing. Sorry about that too. I did check out their website though not very well or for very long. Otherwise I have no working experience with the products.
What I meant by the Meguiar's comment is there are many companies that make detailing products. Especially what I would call the basic level, not at all meaning quality or experience required to use them. I'm talking about shampoo, polish, wax, quick detailer, tire shine, and other common products sold by companies such as Turtle Wax, Armor All, Duragloss, Meguiar's, and Mothers.

davidc1
12-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Well, no offense taken as that is what I get for skimming through your post. My post was kind of snooty too so I apologize. Didn't see the comment about manufacturing. Sorry about that too. I did check out their website though not very well or for very long. Otherwise I have no working experience with the products.
What I meant by the Meguiar's comment is there are many companies that make detailing products. Especially what I would call the basic level, not at all meaning quality or experience required to use them. I'm talking about shampoo, polish, wax, quick detailer, tire shine, and other common products sold by companies such as Turtle Wax, Armor All, Duragloss, Meguiar's, and Mothers.

thanks conman!

davidc1
12-25-2014, 02:06 PM
I suspect they are part of Mothers which is a private company along with Mark V. Mark V was purchased by 2nd Gen Productions and Dennis Hollaway is associated with both companies.

cool! That pretty much explains it.

milky
12-25-2014, 03:09 PM
Heard that as well, with Mark V under Mother's (similar to how 3M is to Meguiar's). They have some good quality products too :)

VISITOR
12-25-2014, 07:14 PM
i got a short tour of the mark-v warehouse years ago and it was amazing seeing the gigantic drums they use to mix/hold their products. i also saw some pallets of their products shrink wrapped and private labeled for either lexus or mercedes if memory serves. i'm sure they do it for many different car manufacturers...

forrest@mothers
12-25-2014, 11:26 PM
lol, interesting. Two "steals" I've gotten from them are clay (they sell it in unlabeled plastic wrap) and a product they call Extreme

CAR WASH | Mark V? Products (http://mark-v.com/products/car-wash/)

which they say is the concentrated version of Mothers R3 Racing Rubber Remover, which has become an absolute heaven sent product to remove marks left on the bodywork from racing tire rubber pieces that hit your car when at the track.

Mothers® R3 Racing Rubber Remover (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/09224.html)

Huh? R3 is the same as Extreme? That's just not true. And no where on the Mark V page you linked does it say this.

As Al mentioned, there is some common family ownership between the 2 companies, but it's not the same company.

As for the mention that there are millions of dollars of Mothers inventory there, that's also not true. Mark V is a customer of ours, but they purchase small amounts of our products to sell along with their own to their Distributors.

davidc1
12-26-2014, 03:17 AM
Huh? R3 is the same as Extreme? That's just not true. And no where on the Mark V page you linked does it say this.

As Al mentioned, there is some common family ownership between the 2 companies, but it's not the same company.

As for the mention that there are millions of dollars of Mothers inventory there, that's also not true. Mark V is a customer of ours, but they purchase small amounts of our products to sell along with their own to their Distributors.

Well, it's what I was told. True, it doesn't say it the equivalent on the Mark V webpage, but, then again, they don't say anything is the equivalent of anything. They told me that Extreme is a concentrated version of R3. I can't remember the dilution ratio off hand, but I'm pretty sure he told me around 10:1.

You could be right about the inventory of Mother's products back there...I could only see a couple of rows, but they were filled with lots of Mother's stuff.