PDA

View Full Version : Dr Colorchip New Paint Bottles-Comments

MarkD51
12-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Hello All, some comments and questions:

Well, I ordered just a 1oz bottle for the Kia Spectra in Pearl Magenta Metallic, and received it yesterday afternoon. (I have some Sealact Solution and other goods from another full kit)

The order was packed well, paint bottle was in a padded envelope inside a larger box, typical of what the entire kit would be packed in.

The new Paint Bottle is now Clear Plastic, has a White Plastic Flip Top Cap, and upon shaking again discovered it has a "Rattler" inside the bottle to aid mixing. (like that feature) The Cap is Shrink Covered with a clear Plastic, another nice touch to insure nothing can open during shipment.

Thinking some about the Plastic Bottle, I at first was a bit disappointed, but thinking some more about it this morning, and thinking about when I actually put this paint to use, there may be some good advantages to the change.

While I haven't opened the bottle yet, I'll assume that all one will now have to do, is shake well, flip open the Cap, and then simply dip the Applicator Brush through the small opening at the top of the Cap.

This should prove advantageous in that there won't be a need to unscrew any caps, and I've had noted that if one did not clean the older Bottle's Cap, and Bottle Threads after use, you could have difficulty removing the cap the next time you use it.

The other assumption I have, should also be less air hitting the paint, meaning it will have less tendency to dry, or thicken over time due to solvent evaporation.

The Plastic Bottle of course could probably be damaged, but might well be another good advantage if one accidently drops the bottle on hard pavement. This Plastic Bottle should not break with a simple dropping from chest level. Or if tipped while open, one will likely not lose as much product as before.

Haven't put any of these observations to the test just yet, but I'd like retracting some previous short and somewhat negative comments I made in another thread here recently.

One question is, when AG holds their many sales, is Dr Colorchip also sold at discounted prices, or are there commonly usually exclusions for this product?

Mark

mg6045
12-28-2014, 09:57 AM
funny thing is I just touched up an X5 yesterday with the new DR.CC bottle. its kind of a soft plastic and it actually mix's a lot faster and easier it seems. Typically I always had a hard time shaking up the metallic colors when in the glass bottle. Being that the glass was so rigid it was hard to get the metal flakes mixed up on the bottom corners. It would seem as though the paint and metallic is sticking less to the corners of the plastic. So that may be one of the main reasons DR.CC switched it out.

I typically use a spoon to pour small amounts of the paint. Dipping the brush through the hole sounds like a good idea, but I would hate to get paint on any other part of the brush than the tip. dipping into the containter may cause that problem.

Another huge plus for the plastic bottle with flip top is the side never gets crusty like the old glass bottle. You needed to take great care not to drop off the old crusty dried up paint into the glass bottle when unscrewing the cap after it sat. I had this happen a few times and to remedy it, I would completely clean off the threads before resealing ,but this was actually quite a chore. This is no longer an issue with the new bottle.

All in all, i think its an improvement in the right direction.