PDA

View Full Version : 10" polisher

Pages : [1] 2

03Mustanger
12-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Merry Christmas everyone! This is my early Christmas present
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/maverick3429/Mobile%20Uploads/20141224_131746.jpg (http://s724.photobucket.com/user/maverick3429/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141224_131746.jpg.html)

My question is, would this polisher be to large to do a fine polishing job? I have noticeable swirl marks on my mustang and was wondering if this would be to large because i see a lot of you guys use smaller polishers.

If so, do you guys recommend using this polishing pad that came with it?
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/maverick3429/Mobile%20Uploads/20141224_131857.jpg (http://s724.photobucket.com/user/maverick3429/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141224_131857.jpg.html)

And what's a good fine polishing compound to use? I heard god things about meguiars professional products but they're kind of expensive. Any other alternatives?

Thanks for any help!

allenk4
12-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Save the receipt

You are about to get bombarded with suggestions on which "real polisher to buy"

What you have there is called a "Wax Spreader"

dlc95
12-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Save the receipt

Seconded.

swanicyouth
12-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Save the receipt

Thirded, Fourthed, and Fifthed.

Get a Griot's 6" polisher.

03Mustanger
12-24-2014, 07:07 PM
So basically i cant use this to polish a car at all? This was a gift so i cant take it back...

DaHen
12-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Please return it to Sears. Do your shopping here at the store. Your gonna spend a little more for a polisher and pads but you'll get a better product.

:buffing:

DaveT435
12-24-2014, 07:13 PM
It's oversized and under powered. Griots, Porter Cable are reasonable good machines for beginners. flex and Rupes are top end products. On a budget HF does have an inexpensive polisher. You would want to buy a 5" backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. Compounds and polishes. I would go with Menzerna FG 400 for a compound and Optimum Hyper Polish. Both very user friendly.

DaveT435
12-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Sears should take it back without a receipt this time of the year.

wrb_subie
12-24-2014, 07:58 PM
I like craftsman for a lot of things but not these. As recommended a porter cable is a great tool for not a lot of monies.

dlc95
12-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Even the Craftsman 5" variable speed, dual action palm sander would be much better. I have a lot of miles on mine.

FUNX650
12-24-2014, 09:49 PM
So basically i cant use this to polish a car at all?
Here's a good article regarding this type of polisher:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22196-tob-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html

Bob

Mantilgh
12-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Wow, bah humbug everyone.

Let me be the first, and maybe only, to say congratulations on new gift and intro to polishing. Merry Christmas!

Read this post earlier while on break from family activities and wanted to post before everyone had a chance to cut your gift down to much, but didn't have time.

A lot of people here are pros and have the correct equipment to get the job done fast. Plus know how much work some paint correction can be.

I am NOT a pro.

I have owned this tool, probably a previous version, and have had good results on single stage paint but HAVE NOT tried correction on my clear coated cars. Just as a wax spreader. Was actually a little supprized after reading the link that Funx725 posted that it will not do much to modern clear coats, but that is why I'm here. To learn.

If you do not wish return this item because of ....or you would like to keep it and play.
Then:

To answer your question from a non pro. Yes, I think it would do fine for "safely polishing" your car for a beginner. You're not going to hurt anything unless you let the handle or body vibrate against paint or mouldings. And understand that it may take a really long time to get results, but better than trying to do it by hand.

If you want to try, just use the pad you pictured(wool), and grab some MEGUIARS MIRROR GLAZE #9 SWIRL REMOVER 2.0 or something similar and go at a section for awhile. Just make sure you work clean so you don't pick up dirt and put more scratches in.

Or save and use a wax spreader. It may save some physical effort.

Also, as others have said, you can most likely return for a in store credit if you have no receipt.

cardaddy
12-25-2014, 01:30 AM
It's oversized and under powered. Griots, Porter Cable are reasonable good machines for beginners. flex and Rupes are top end products. On a budget HF does have an inexpensive polisher. You would want to buy a 5" backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. Compounds and polishes. I would go with Menzerna FG 400 for a compound and Optimum Hyper Polish. Both very user friendly.

Even the Craftsman 5" variable speed, dual action palm sander would be much better. I have a lot of miles on mine.

Here's a good article regarding this type of polisher:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22196-tob-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html

Bob

Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth-ed!

There is simply no way, with any reasonable expectations that a 10" "wax spreader" is going to do any sort of correction on todays paint systems.

Besides it being over sized and under powered, it's just freakishly hard to maneuver and get into and around all the places you'll need to cover. On a budged, the Porter Cable 7424 machine will work, or as someone else said, even the Harbor Freight, or EVEN a DA type sander from Craftsman (with a proper 5½" THIN foam pad).

The good side is no matter WHAT you do with that 10" machine you'll not hurt the paint. You'll not correct it, but at least you'll not hurt it. :rolleyes: The problem will be what a mess it'll make. More likely than not if you DO try and polish with it (it'll be worthless for compounding btw) you'll end up with polish all over your black trim and THAT will take you forever to get off. (If you can get it off at all.) :eek:

Mantilgh
12-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Yes, it is big and clumsy. My statement,"May save some physical effort" is a quite iffy. Cord doesn't like to stay in and, yes it's not going to correct much.

But, it was a gift. I don't know his situation. Maybe he feels the person would be offended by him returning it. Maybe he barely has enough spare cash buy compound. Someone thought enough about him to buy something they though he would want or use. Just wanted to give an option if he wanted to play with it and not pee on it.

Good luck, Merry Christmas, and there is a ton of great information on this site. Keep reading

itsgoa12345
12-25-2014, 04:22 AM
Merry X'mas to you too